Matthews of Yarmouth

truckyboy:
Some drivers would do absolutely anything for international work wouldnt they…£45 a day…forget the night out money…even if it is £35…and hes been away since xmas and hes raking it in…are you on drugs or what…raking it in… doesnt he have a home…family…rent/bills to pay…or is he cab happy… his gross/net is £560 for 7 days + 7 nights out…absolutely brilliant !!!..should be locked up, and kicked out the industry…

couldnt agree more.
thats 1990 money not 2008.

Linux-user:
Hi Gunner,

Are you paid weekly or monthly? I have seen alot of your drivers either around Turin or parked up at Carissio.

Weekly mate

Gunner Til I Die:
Time for imput from a Matthews driver, my average take home is £470 over a three week cycle based on week one 6 days and 6 nights, week two 7 days and 7 nights, week three 6 days and 5 nights.

To be perfectly honest, that’s not very good pay.

I normally take home around £450 for 5 days and 4 nights out, and if I am weekended, when I will be paid for 7 days and 7 nights out, then I clear around £650 and I don’t consider myself to be very well paid.

I work for Asda, I earn between £600-650 a week for 9-10 hours a day no nights out, when you look at it that way the pay at matthews is poor.

I have known Trevor for several years. You could not wish to meet a more switched on, no ■■■■■■■■ sort of chap. He has forgotten more about Transport than I will ever know.
They operate good kit and run a top flight operation in what can only be considered the toughest of times.
They are privately owned and funded which is becoming a rarity in this day and age.
I hold Trevor in the highest regard and know al ot of other people do as well.

Ive noticed a couple of things on the euro side of things, there seems to be 2 types of company one that tends to pay drivers a low wage,well below what is supposed to be the national average,where the driver isn’t expected to run bent, or the company who pays a bit more but wants the earth back for you for it,the company i used to work for GBA ,Nr Preston,would of been above average pay,but most drivers did not get continual work,but it was your tax free nights out which made it good pay take away that then crap for the hours involved,asda ect are better payers than such companies, but i would sooner wake up at work each day and drive in Europe than over here,looking for a good or reasonable euro job at the mo,but its looking grim

Goo point there Tommy t … I had a driver leave me during last year to go to work for Nedexco… word came back that it was the best job he had ever had Etc… Great money, motor and work.
I promise you that after six months he left as the job “Changed”… He is currently on Agency for one of the large Supermarkets but is calling me very week to come back to work for me.
He will be earning less than Nedexco but as he found out its a case of what he had to do to get the £650.00 per week. !!
Most, if not all of my chaps hate driving in the UK … and could certainly earn more driving in the UK than they do for me… but… its in their blood to drive abroad methinks.
Tough world out there …and it is going to get tougher yet.

Totally agree with you both there…
This Asda job is boring and i really want to get into Euro work, but cant find anywhere to apply for :cry:

Neville:
Goo point there Tommy t … I had a driver leave me during last year to go to work for Nedexco… word came back that it was the best job he had ever had Etc… Great money, motor and work.
I promise you that after six months he left as the job “Changed”… He is currently on Agency for one of the large Supermarkets but is calling me very week to come back to work for me.
He will be earning less than Nedexco but as he found out its a case of what he had to do to get the £650.00 per week. !!
Most, if not all of my chaps hate driving in the UK … and could certainly earn more driving in the UK than they do for me… but… its in their blood to drive abroad methinks.
Tough world out there …and it is going to get tougher yet.

NEV YOU ARE WRIGHT VERY TOUGH AT THE MINUTE in other words if youve got a job bite your tetth and keep it it p.s nev nice fleet you got keep it up
[/quote]

Thanks… for the compliment. We do try hard to keep all tractors and trailers nice. Always good to hear its noticed. Best wishese. Neville.

Neville:
Thanks… for the compliment. We do try hard to keep all tractors and trailers nice. Always good to hear its noticed. Best wishese. Neville.

Nice car in the garage too. I noticed it during the week :stuck_out_tongue:

chrisgoddard:
I work for Asda, I earn between £600-650 a week for 9-10 hours a day no nights out, when you look at it that way the pay at matthews is poor.

last bloke i spoke to who worked at asda was getting 3 quid more than me for the same hrs and it werent that much :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

chrisgoddard:

Well thats pretty good. £13 hour for days. I have never heard of agencies paying this per hour, or asda for that matter :confused:

back to earlier in the thread didnt someone say about romancers saying they earn more then what they do :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Wheel Nut… I just let the chap park there.? (Smiling)

daleyboy:

chrisgoddard:

Well thats pretty good. £13 hour for days. I have never heard of agencies paying this per hour, or asda for that matter :confused:

We get hourly rate, night shift bonus, and overtime. So all depends what time you start. I actually work for Asda not agency. Once you hit 45 hours for the week overtime starts. I normally do on average 55 hours a week. I wasnt thinking straight when i put 9-10 hours a day, to be honest its more like 10-12 hours a day, cos if i done 9 hours a day that means no overtime lol. but yeah it pays better than i expected aslong as the overtime doesnt stop which it shouldnt, and dont forget the 10% off staff discount card thats worth a good few hundred quid a year :stuck_out_tongue: