Maritime professional driver scheme

the maoster:

somtam:
Quite frankly they’re the worst company I’ve ever worked for having been a hgv driver for over 20 years
Avoid!!

How so? Just to clarify I don’t, have never and have no intention of working for Maritime, but I am morbidly interested in what in particular prompts such a response.

My experience of driving for them on agency the short while, was that they run you ragged, and you’re expected to take breaks whilst in tip queues, a bit like working for palletliner outfits.

Most of the work I did was running in and out of tilbury 2013. The H&S is a complete joke. You have to sign forms saying you understand the SSOW etc. but there’s no actual “marshals” about to keep everyone on the straight and narrow. Add rushing about in the dock zone, and there have been several cases of drivers either running themselves over with their own trucks, or getting squashed up on the catwalks.

Then there’s everyone else rushing about, on movers and FLTs, not watching out for others who might not fully understand how things work there…
https://truckerworld.uk/2015/11/logistics-company-fined-after-driver-struck-by-falling-pallet-health-and-safety-executive-press-release/

In my mind, proper H&S should have ground staff looking out, and making sure people keep to the SSOW, rather than just throw some paperwork to sign, and leave 'em all too it, whilst under time pressures, and delivery windows…