Maritime payrise

DCPCFML:
I love how Maritime like to make a big thing in their job adverts about how you’ll be driving a a top spec truck. Personally, an R450 isn’t my idea of a top spec truck and certainly not one which only does 50mph.

They are constantly advertising at the Leeds depot which probably tells you what drivers think of the job and their “top spec” trucks. I’ve no first hand experience but I’ve heard they’re worse than DHL for nannying you and enforcing you to walk in their fancy yellow lines.

Come to think of maritime leeds… i was dropping a box off there and security wouldn’t let me on site until i put a hi vis on… in the cab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Stobart manager jumped out of his seat to tell me to put a hi viz on while inside their RDC waiting room for four hours .

The pay rise was 3%, and the O/T rate is £17.35 Mon-Fri, and £20.60 Sat-Sun paid after your contracted hours (either 11 or 12).

You’ll gross over £36k for a flat 42 hours per week on 4-on/4-off nights.

17.35 overtime rate .Thats not too bad .

WheelsofCardiff:

Maybe it wouldn’t be if it kicked in after 8 hours.

Harry Monk:

WheelsofCardiff:

Maybe it wouldn’t be if it kicked in after 8 hours.

It does in principle. 4 on 4 off averages 3.5 shifts per week across the calendar year, which is 42 contracted hours per week on average, which is the rough equivalent of 5x8 hour days per week. All hours worked over the 42 are paid this rate.

Sure, on day by day basis you’re working 12 hours before O/T kicks in, but because your week’s work is concentrated into 3.5 shifts per 7 days, it condenses your hours in a strange way when working out holiday and O/T. But as I say, in principle it does kick in after 8 hours if you look at the week’s shifts as a collective, and not individually,

ezydriver:
The pay rise was 3%, and the O/T rate is £17.35 Mon-Fri, and £20.60 Sat-Sun paid after your contracted hours (either 11 or 12).

That doesn’t sound to bad to be fair.
I like the sound of 4 on 4 off.
36k for 42 hours is decent and overtime sounds decent too.

Themoocher:

ezydriver:

That doesn’t sound to bad to be fair.
I like the sound of 4 on 4 off.
36k for 42 hours is decent and overtime sounds decent too.

4o4o comes down to how much you value the weekend days. If you don’t give a toss about them and see them as being equal to weekdays then the money is “ok”. If you value your weekend days and believe they should attract a pay premium then the money is average at best.

Juddian:
Driver facing cameras i’m told, which rules them out even if they paid decent wages, which they don’t.

Yep, I’m assuming they are the full on ■■■■ take constant snoop surveillance ones rather than the incident ones (which are bad enough, as I know)
Once over that would be enough for any self respecting driver to tell them to shove it up their collective arses, no matter how much a week they paid, but by the posts following yours, totally disregarding and ignoring your comment, this does not appear to be a problem.
I’m with you on this, it would rule them out for me also.
The usual brain wash corporate regurgitation justification is ‘Well they don’t spend ALL day watching you’’ :laughing: :unamused:
But the fact that they can and could is enough for me.

robroy:

Juddian:
Driver facing cameras i’m told, which rules them out even if they paid decent wages, which they don’t.

Yep, I’m assuming they are the full on ■■■■ take constant snoop surveillance ones rather than the incident ones (which are bad enough, as I know)
Once over that would be enough for any self respecting driver to tell them to shove it up their collective arses, no matter how much a week they paid, but by the posts following yours, totally disregarding and ignoring your comment, this does not appear to be a problem.
The usual brain wash corporate regurgitation justification is ‘Well they don’t spend ALL day watching you’’ :laughing: :unamused:

Thats because people are dazzled by the ££££. They look at £30K plus and think “wow thats great, I want some of that”. But dont look at what you have to do to get that £££.
Always said lorry drivers are the thickest workers in UK plc.

msgyorkie:

robroy:

Juddian:

Thats because people are dazzled by the ££££. They look at £30K plus and think “wow thats great, I want some of that”. But dont look at what you have to do to get that £££.

The jury is out on ‘thickest’ mainly because I’m one myself. :laughing:
But some NEVER cease to amaze me what they are prepared to accept and put up with without a murmur of resistance or objection.
Not one acknowledgement to Juddian’s camera post. :unamused:
I’ve said many times on here, these firms only do it because they are allowed to get away with it.
Problem is only a small minority have any pride in themselves to just take all this ■■■■, but 9 times out of 10 they are either forced to go along with it, or either leave a job they otherwise like, and be potentially out of work, because the rest of em just go along with stuff.
So to me their pay rise would be irrelevant if I went for an interview, but that’s just me. :neutral_face:

msgyorkie:

Got a genius at the place I’m driving at. £120 per shift is on the table vs. £14/hr currently getting as the owner wants to move us to shift rate so he can work with fixed costs each week. Work can be done in 7-9 hours. Genius has proposed £130 per shift as being an acceptable alternative, knowing that they are moving to a new yard shortly which will add 50 mins travelling time to/from the customer site every day and also the owner has taken on new work from a different customer paying significantly more per job based on the same distance cap than the other customer, AND the shifts have been taking between 10-13.5 hrs.

Lorry drivers and money… not a winning combination.

DCPCFML:
I love how Maritime like to make a big thing in their job adverts about how you’ll be driving a a top spec truck. Personally, an R450 isn’t my idea of a top spec truck and certainly not one which only does 50mph.

They are constantly advertising at the Leeds depot which probably tells you what drivers think of the job and their “top spec” trucks. I’ve no first hand experience but I’ve heard they’re worse than DHL for nannying you and enforcing you to walk in their fancy yellow lines.

If you take a job on Distribution (curtainsiders) the trucks may be well specced in terms of fridges/microwaves etc. but they aren’t allocated so as a result of different drivers using & abusing them all the time, the cabs are mostly in a very poor state which I always found disappointing. The muddy footprints all over the engine hump and grease on the bunk took the shine off.