Maritime Bridge Strike Nuneaton

simcor:
I wonder what height his taut liner is?

His trailer would have been marked as 15ft 1in based on a 1.25m fifth wheel. Likely his middle axle was up, which raises the fifth wheel to 1.32m, and overall height to around 15ft 4in. As another poster poited out, he’s probably so used to pulling the 13ft 1in trailers that he forgot he had a tall one on.

simcor:
I’ve told a few drivers at our place to be careful in the Scania of raising the midlift just in case. And a fair few have no idea it raises the height a few inches.

Jesus that’s worrying, can they really not see (or sense) for themselves when a Scanny mid lift is doing it’s 3" raise routine :open_mouth:

Still, no more dense than the twerps who approach a trailer dropped by one such that one can see from right across the yard the landing legs are like bloody stilts :unamused: but they then back straight under with A N Other make of tractor without so much as a glance only stopping at the sound of something hitting something…which in these cases isn’t jaws meeting king pin, but either lights/rear air tanks meeting landing legs or trailer front meeting back of cab or both :cry: .

I wouldn’t trust half the sods with a dustpan and brush.

Juddian:

simcor:
I’ve told a few drivers at our place to be careful in the Scania of raising the midlift just in case. And a fair few have no idea it raises the height a few inches.

Jesus that’s worrying, can they really not see (or sense) for themselves when a Scanny mid lift is doing it’s 3" raise routine :open_mouth:

Still, no more dense than the twerps who approach a trailer dropped by one such that one can see from right across the yard the landing legs are like bloody stilts :unamused: but they then back straight under with A N Other make of tractor without so much as a glance only stopping at the sound of something hitting something…which in these cases isn’t jaws meeting king pin, but either lights/rear air tanks meeting landing legs or trailer front meeting back of cab or both :cry: .

I wouldn’t trust half the sods with a dustpan and brush.

Yup the problem is drivers are very varied. A lot have no actual interest in trucks at all just driving them. Add in complacency and it’s not mine attitude and hey presto.

I have always been interested in trucks since I was a kid. So I learn things or pick things up along the way from others. That’s not to say I’m a geek or truck spotter as I’m not. But I take an interest in repairing my cars myself etc that’s the way I am. Not everyone is like that or wants to take any interest in the vehicle they drive.

There’s the other side tbough like our place tell us to drop trailers with midlift up with the thinking that we’re fully Scania so it shouldn’t matter and also if it’s a heavy trailer that bows on the headboard there’s still enough to get under it with the midlift down etc

Their insurance Co will not be happy:

THE COST OF BRIDGE STRIKES
Article posted Friday 18th March 2016
Vehicles colliding with railway bridges are a significant issue.

After being struck, the bridge and track will need to be checked before trains can re-use the line this often causes costly delays and disruptions to passengers and train operating companies (TOCs). Network Rail are contractually obliged to compensate the TOCs for the resultant financial loss due to schedule disruption. These amounts can easily exceed £100,000.

Following several recent cases the Courts have made it clear that where a negligent motorist causes damage, Network Rail can recover compensation to cover the amount it is contractually obliged to pay. This can have significant results for fleet operators and their motor insurers in the event of a bridge strike.

simcor:
If I’m in the scanny I always stick the midlife down to drop the tailer.

No need to be sending the mid-lift up and down like a yoyo. Keep the mid-lift up and just wind the legs down til they’re a few inches off the ground, pull pin, pull forwards to disengage 5th wheel then dump the unit air and pull out.

Rob K:

simcor:

No need to be sending the mid-lift up and down like a yoyo. Keep the mid-lift up and just wind the legs down til they’re a few inches off the ground, pull pin, pull forwards to disengage 5th wheel then dump the unit air and pull out.

I could indeed do that as an option, but as we have a company policy of winding the legs all the way down to the ground I follow the company procedure so as to avoid getting moaned at for not doing it the right way.

simcor:

Rob K:

simcor:

I could indeed do that as an option, but as we have a company policy of winding the legs all the way down to the ground I follow the company procedure so as to avoid getting moaned at for not doing it the right way.

:unamused: Who is going to know? The legs will be on the ground when you pull out (obviously), and the trailer will be sat at the correct height for the next person.

Let me take a wild guess that you work for a company where the drivers can’t and won’t think for themselves and need someone to hold their hand?

Santa:
Their insurance Co will not be happy:

THE COST OF BRIDGE STRIKES
Article posted Friday 18th March 2016
Vehicles colliding with railway bridges are a significant issue.

After being struck, the bridge and track will need to be checked before trains can re-use the line this often causes costly delays and disruptions to passengers and train operating companies (TOCs). Network Rail are contractually obliged to compensate the TOCs for the resultant financial loss due to schedule disruption. These amounts can easily exceed £100,000.

Following several recent cases the Courts have made it clear that where a negligent motorist causes damage, Network Rail can recover compensation to cover the amount it is contractually obliged to pay. This can have significant results for fleet operators and their motor insurers in the event of a bridge strike.

can well remember reading the computer when i worked for NR as a signalman some months after the selby crash total delay and cancellation mins for this one incident were finalised at 100,000 mins this would be charged to railtrack by the TOCs at a rate of £100 per min ! this would then have been claimed from the guy who caused it alls insurance this is well before any costs of replacement of the stock and infrastructure damage and ongoing claims from the injured and deceased families and NR are vigorous in pursuing them

Rob K:

simcor:

Rob K:

simcor:

:unamused: Who is going to know? The legs will be on the ground when you pull out (obviously), and the trailer will be sat at the correct height for the next person.

Let me take a wild guess that you work for a company where the drivers can’t and won’t think for themselves and need someone to hold their hand?

I work for a company who have lots of safe practises for work. They pay my wages and do spot checks in the yard, so whether I like it or not I do it their way following the safe practises as it’s not worth the hassle.

No skin off my nose how they want me to do it makes no difference to me. For the most part it’s an easy job which pays decent money with fairly decent benefits and generally not too many hours. It suits me working there.