Map Reading.

Conor:
I have a Truckers road atlas in my bag, albeit a quite old one, and always have even though I’ve been using Satnav for well over a decade. Satnavs are only as reliable as the data on the mapping and there are plenty of examples you’ll find when driving around where its not up to date with junctions and roundabouts still being shown as what they were before, speed limits which are wrong etc.

Surely an old paper atlas is just as bad (if not worse)? Likewise “local knowledge”.
A good example pointed out to me on this forum just a couple of weeks ago - I mentioned an alternative route to avoid the current crop of M1 roadworks in Northants when the A5 was also closed overnight. I suggested using the A428 between Northampton and J18, provided you were under 14’ because I knew about the bridge at Althorp.
Problem being my " local knowledge" is out of date regarding that bridge - as is Google Maps/Streetview (as would be an old copy of a paper atlas).
Of course, simply reading the signs would have shown me the error of my ways well before I got into trouble…

I worked at an airfreight company and was sitting around one day discussing sat navs,one driver said about these dum dums that are out,another driver said whats a dum dum to which the first driver said they were for drivers who could not read a fxxxxxg map,got to admit it was funny [not aimed at dyslexic people so no offence intended]

I am using proper truck sat nav. Every time when you type in your destination it still warns you that you should look at the road signs. It knows where the road is closed, traffic and so on.
I still carry newest truckers atlas. Google maps/Street view on the phone which is wery handy because you can see the yard where you are going. Will you be able to pull in straight away and turn round at their yard or you’ll have to rewerse in, yet again, might be there’s a point to take some loop to save you from blind side reverse.
I never know where I am going till I get instructions from gaffer, so can not plan my route in the day before. Never tried, but I only can guess that planing your route by the map can take some while and yet again, will you carry all the maps for every town and village?
Why should we ignore “evolution” in the aids to ease your job?

Roymondo:

Conor:
I have a Truckers road atlas in my bag, albeit a quite old one, and always have even though I’ve been using Satnav for well over a decade. Satnavs are only as reliable as the data on the mapping and there are plenty of examples you’ll find when driving around where its not up to date with junctions and roundabouts still being shown as what they were before, speed limits which are wrong etc.

Surely an old paper atlas is just as bad (if not worse)? Likewise “local knowledge”.
A good example pointed out to me on this forum just a couple of weeks ago - I mentioned an alternative route to avoid the current crop of M1 roadworks in Northants when the A5 was also closed overnight. I suggested using the A428 between Northampton and J18, provided you were under 14’ because I knew about the bridge at Althorp.
Problem being my " local knowledge" is out of date regarding that bridge - as is Google Maps/Streetview (as would be an old copy of a paper atlas).
Of course, simply reading the signs would have shown me the error of my ways well before I got into trouble…

Maps can be updated with a pen. You can even use different colours if you wish to maintain its colour scheme and add your own landmarks. I like petrol stations since they are easily spotted day or night

scanny77:

Roymondo:

Conor:

Maps can be updated with a pen. You can even use different colours if you wish to maintain its colour scheme and add your own landmarks. I like petrol stations since they are easily spotted day or night

You can make your own amendments to satnav maps using just your finger - heck, on a TomTom you can even choose to include amendments made by other users! Most come with stuff like petrol stations already marked - and you can again add your own with little more than a tap on the screen (or download other folks’ contributions if you like)

hiya we,ve had a visitor last night…they traveled from Leeds to Chester…OK today going back to Leeds
just setting sat nav…come on its 3 junctions…m60 to M62 to M6 to M56 how hard is that.traveling from
Leeds you can follow M/C airport signs then carry on to chester…
one day the sat nav computer will fail, everyone will stop instantly and put the handbrake on.
no one going nowhere.

Radar19:
I always try and cross check the destination point with Google maps just to make sure. Been caught out a few times. Also, who uses a map still? Its 2014! Get with the times.

I do. If you see that a road is closed the wider the diversion the shorter the delay. For example I was regularly routed in to the West country and the number of times that holiday traffic combined with an accident or 2 would make a 3 hour trip closer to 6 was depressing. Start your diversion from 60 miles out and you get less traffic, start at 10 miles out you join the rest of the people trying to pass the problem.

Google maps is OK for the fine detail at the destination but hard work working out a wider route. I’d also add that there seems to be an increasing number of people who are, on longer distance journeys, to timid to move off the motorways unless directed. That’s fine by me as the A roads stay a bit more free flowing.

The Philips one is more up to date and has the better reviews.

thanks dannalex84,… one more item on my christmas list :smiley:

Anyone got a AA London and South west map mine goes from Southampton up to oxford across to MK and out to Felixstowe then round the coast it’s 1205 pages of A-Z you can’t buy them anymore it was about £35 .

Roymondo:

scanny77:

Roymondo:

Conor:

You can make your own amendments to satnav maps using just your finger - heck, on a TomTom you can even choose to include amendments made by other users! Most come with stuff like petrol stations already marked - and you can again add your own with little more than a tap on the screen (or download other folks’ contributions if you like)

i dont have a standalone satnav. i use HERE drive or something like that which came with my nokia lumia 1020. i use it occasionally but only after checking the directions given against google maps which often serves me well considering their directions are usually a load of guff. i will get round to chucking the local A - Zs in my day bag when i get round to sorting it out from ‘be prepared for anything’ to ‘you are back on retail deliveries so you dont need all that crap any more’ :laughing:

Dan Punchard:
Anyone got a AA London and South west map mine goes from Southampton up to oxford across to MK and out to Felixstowe then round the coast it’s 1205 pages of A-Z you can’t buy them anymore it was about £35 .

It’s old but…

amazon.co.uk/Street-London-S … +and+South

I also used to buy a map for every area I was delivering to,i have quite a collection now all in two nice workmans cases [the silver ones]

danalex84:

Dan Punchard:

It’s old but…

Oh dear I’ve paid enough ,although it was over 10 years ago ,it’s still worth buying even now .

Dan Punchard:

danalex84:

Dan Punchard:

It’s old but…

Oh dear I’ve paid enough ,although it was over 10 years ago ,it’s still worth buying even now .

If you’re in the market for a London A-Z I would recommend buying the London Taxi Driver Knowledge A-Z it’s a lot more detailed with a better index, it’s the map that the majority of London Cabbies carry, I picked one up to keep in the car a few years ago and it’s a god send, the scale is better than the standard map of the same size.

truckman020:
I also used to buy a map for every area I was delivering to,i have quite a collection now all in two nice workmans cases [the silver ones]

I think I am missing 2 or 3 Philips A-Zs from the entire uk mainland. Currently I don’t cross the border so most of them are in the loft. The ones i have in my car cover Scotland and as far south as I can go in 4.5 hours driving time which means Liverpool to Redcar

I dug out a 1990’s AtoZ of Manchester to lend to my sister for a giggle, she was pretty confused as she couldnt find the new estate she was looking for, and was missing the M60 past Ashton :laughing: :laughing:

from my pre sat days I found few drivers
who could interpret a map correctly.
that’s why they never bought any
but stopped and asked for directions