Manchester agencies for new drivers?

I’ve only been driving HGV’s for a year. I average 50-55 hours a week and earn £11.37 per hour basic upto approx £17.00 on overtime rate/weekends etc. I’m a day driver, don’t work nights. Just to give you some perspective.

Lee1976:
I’ve only been driving HGV’s for a year. I average 50-55 hours a week and earn £11.37 per hour basic upto approx £17.00 on overtime rate/weekends etc. I’m a day driver, don’t work nights. Just to give you some perspective.

Do you work with agencies?

I passed two weeks ago and my dilemma is whether to get employed (accept lower, but regular pay) or go with multiple agencies as LTD (higher pay, yet so far irregular demand). I am guessing demand is not consistent because of me being inexperienced. How are you finding it being a new driver?

romik:

Lee1976:

I passed two weeks ago and my dilemma is whether to get employed (accept lower, but regular pay) or go with multiple agencies as LTD (higher pay, yet so far irregular demand). I am guessing demand is not consistent because of me being inexperienced. How are you finding it being a new driver?

If you’re just starting out, I would go for employment if you can get it. You will get good, consistent experience in the job and learn more. Your first few months driving will be when you make the most mistakes and balls things up, and employers tend to be more forgiving, depending on what mistakes you make!.

Some of my first years driving mistakes. Dropped trailer on soft ground and it sunk till the headboard was touching the ground… on my first day! (Brown Wharrier Tpt), Forgot to disconnect all the airlines when dropping trailer right outside the transport office… and i thought they were just waving at me as i drove off :blush: It’s amazing how far they stretch before they snap!!! :laughing: (Brown Wharrier Tpt). Took all day to strip, load and re-thread a tilt trailer, only to find it was the wrong trailer that i had loaded, causing untold T.I.R and carnet paperwork problems. Forget to check trailer brake (old rachet, cable style) before trying to hook up… and watching as the trailer rolled away through walls, fences and down an embankment once. (they had landing leg wheels and not feet then)… and many more, all just as embarrassing!..

I found the most common mistake for new drivers is jumping the pin when hooking up and I’ve helped many a new driver escape the 5th wheel pin ‘trap’ , whilst making sure that they are suitably embarrassed to remember not to do it again !.. learning by your mistakes is part of the job.

romik:

Lee1976:

No, I’m employed directly by a company on PAYE. When I passed a year ago my first job was working for a tin pot company for only £7.00 an hour. However the 3 months that I spent with them enabled me to gain experience and sort my reversing out. Without that I doubt I would have got the job I’m on now.

Lee1976:

romik:

Lee1976:

No, I’m employed directly by a company on PAYE. When I passed a year ago my first job was working for a tin pot company for only £7.00 an hour. However the 3 months that I spent with them enabled me to gain experience and sort my reversing out. Without that I doubt I would have got the job I’m on now.

Thanks for the reply. Kudos on your progress mate. I am still indecided on which way to go about it. Filled in application for ALDI this morning.

Thanks for all the responses (particularly ‘Contractdriver’) but I’ve just discovered the licence isn’t transferrable in Australia.

Seems a bit pointless paying to do it over here then paying again once I’m out there (12-24 months).

Thought it would have been good to go over with some experience but paying twice for licence doesn’t seem to make sense :frowning: