MAN TGA losing coolant

i think as you look at the comp head the outer bolts hold the head to the comp block, the inner bolts are a lot shorter and hold the plate c/w the flapper valve ect to the underside of the head
i will have a look at work tomorrow for the tightening torques

Silver_Surfer:
2003 egr? Didn’t think this came in till 2007.

i used to drive an 04 that started using a lot of water, it was a good job i worked for a bottled water firm :laughing: :laughing: it was the egr heat exchange that was the culprit. bit of a common fault i was lead to believe.

only once did i see a bit of a puddle under the exhaust, possibly 5 minutes or so after starting and having a quick walk round if memory serves

Silver_Surfer:
2003 egr? Didn’t think this came in till 2007.

My 2005 with the D28 engine had EGR which failed with the same symptoms. The water goes from the EGR unit into the exhaust and evaporates, I could not see any signs of leaks etc and as my exhaust pointed down and behind side skirts no steam was visible.

Well, we can rule the compressor out, it’s had new heads and gaskets, and still leaking water, although the air leak seems to have been cured! Pressure in the header tank again this morning, filled with water, but needed another gallon after a couple of hours driving. Back to the drawing board!

Gary

m-prop:
Have you checked th egr module? remove flexi pipe from front of egr module, any signs of coolant in that pipe & the egr module is knackered.

We’ve got a customer who’s got a few MAN’s and his oldest (a 410) has had this problem.

Ross.

Evening,guys!!

I would say it’s 90%, the liner in one of the pistons. Is got a wet liner,if is got a crack in a liner,the presure goes in to the cooling system. It happend to my old 410 Man,a year ago. Cost me about £1500,with the new rings and piston.
This is what I think…

injector sleve my mate had a 464 he did all the head gaskets culprit was an injector sleve a good pressure test has got to show it

i remember on D26 engines that the front timing cases used to go porous internally and coolant used to leak into the sump!! is the engine the one with 6 individual cylinder heads?? last resort if not egr rail, would be to drop the sump, pressurise cooling system and look up inside the crank case for signs of leakage!!

Thanks for the latest replies. Just to recap, although it loses water at an alarming rate, there’s no sign of it externally - the sump oil level doesn’t change, and there’s no sign of water contamination in the oil. The header tank is always under pressure when I open it, even when the engine is stone cold, which makes me think it’s either air bleeding into it or exhaust.

I’ll crack it over again tomorrow and check it all over again, and see what I can find. If it’s expensive engine internals however, I don’t think it will be getting fixed, the boss has already said he’ll replace it unless it can be done at a reasonably low cost :frowning:

Gary

i drove a 55 tga430. that had the same problem, the egr cooler was leaking and that where the water loss was. its ment to b a common fault on these engines, it was bypassed, on the truck , by having blanking plates made and fitted . and after that it went fine, with no water loss

Well, I’ve had the EGR pipe off today, and apart from a very faint trace of an oil residue in the bottom of the corrugations, it’s as dry as a bone, with a light build up of soot around the pipe. Starting to look like an expensive problem :frowning: :frowning:

Gary

Hmm, just been rethinking it all, and wonder if I’ve gone about the EGR pipe in the wrong way. When I took it off, it had had about 16 hours to cool down, and hadn’t been re-filled since I got back to the yard. As it was low on coolant when I got back, I wonder if any water which might have been in the pipe would have evaporated by then. I think maybe tomorrow evening I’ll refill it, take it for a run to get it all warmed up, then whip the pipe off whilst it’s warm and see what there is after that.

Gary

What about running it up with some clean cardboard under the exhaust?

stevieboy308:
What about running it up with some clean cardboard under the exhaust?

I’ll give that a try first, assuming I can find some clean cardboard in our yard :slight_smile:

Gary

Crack an egg into the header tank then put the truck on autotrader :bulb: