MAN Reviews

I bought my first MAN 4 yrs ago , 2 yrs ago i bought another one, i wont be buying a 3rd
They do the job, bits are easy to get, plenty of room, but they are cheaper than a ScaniaVolvo for a reason

m-prop:
everything that ramhead mentioned, not forgetting , drivers door hinges drop, hi-pressure intercoolers fail on euro5 engines causing coolant loss but without any leaks. egr modules fail on euro5 engines again coolant loss, lambda sensor faults on euro 5,s. If i was to buy an man it would have to be on adblue not egr, they seem to be a bit more reliable than egr at the moment & better on fuel. thats only my opinion :wink:

Hi,my 2yr old tgx440, 180000km been using a bit coolant for 4 month then last fortnight up to 5lts a day.Belching white smoke out exhaust mon 26/11 tow in to dealer and its still there there gonna try an egr manifold,been in about 6 times for water loss no action taken ,then they even fitted an oil cooler after i gave them an oil sample that stated coolant in the sump(but it didnt have oil in the header tank)■■?. not happy and just cancelled a new one.These emissions have got everything knackered.

Apparently EGR is the worst thing you can do to an engine, copyright newmercman. If you go for MAN make sure it’s SCR. Makes sense to me.

I think MAN profited on pushing non ad blue EGR engines and now they’re a few years old are dealing with problems with this system. SCR can be a bit temperamental with sensors and such but isn’t going to fubar your injectors.

If you can, spec the manual gearbox, much better than the auto.

There is another thread on here about TGA’s and river stick has posted on preventive maintenance for man EGR engines.

From a drivers pov, the steering wheels to big the auto gearbox complete junk and would be a much better truck with a manual, interior is very nice with lots of space and quite a comfortable truck, but guttless at 440bhp (unless it was the auto box letting it down),I really couldn’t live with a auto it would drive me insane, but would make a nice truck with a manual, I’m a Volvo lover by the way and wear rose tinted glasses

walkermovements.co.uk/spec_s … nitID=7246

This old thing is about exactly what i want just the wrong make :smiley: are they that bad as to avoid? 500k is not mega miles, would like a volvo or scania but been looking for 3 months and nothing with Tag and 480hp or much under 750k’s or euro 4 or 5.

puntabrava:
http://www.walkermovements.co.uk/spec_sheet.asp?UnitID=7246

This old thing is about exactly what i want just the wrong make :smiley: are they that bad as to avoid? 500k is not mega miles, would like a volvo or scania but been looking for 3 months and nothing with Tag and 480hp or much under 750k’s or euro 4 or 5.

How about trucks.autotrader.co.uk/used-tru … 1732a82d9d

It doesn’t say what euro it’s rated
or

trucks.autotrader.co.uk/used-tru … e793763ea4

or

trucks.autotrader.co.uk/used-tru … 228606434c

mucker85:

puntabrava:

or

or

at the age of the first two linked trucks, they would be Euro3

the volvo states that it is LEZ compliant, so, would be at least Euro4

mucker85:

puntabrava:

or

or

The MAN seems cheap but looking at the passenger seat it looks as tho it was double manned and no digi tacho to back up the K’s, i would struggle to do business with a bloke named Guido :smiley: company-director-check.co.uk/director/913738802
And that black volvo has been for sale for months and will continue to be for that money.

Are you still looking? how about Ebay item number 230915122934 DAF XF105 510 tag axle tractor unit.

r slicker:
Well having had in excess of 50 man’s over 7 years they are a brilliant tool for the job. our Hungarian operation is also a dealer for them. the tgx’s we have have are now coming up to 400.000 kms without too many problems. seem to have carried over the one electrical gremlin across the range which is the oil filter warning that’s says the filter has dropped off lol. the exhaust bolts shearing and destroying the turbo has been cured as has the fan coupling shearing off also. the wiper motor problem has occurred on about 20% of the fleet but not on others. but is a easy fix.

overall life costs based on 650 k km’s is 2nd lowest in the fleet the lowest being the iveco 500’s we have. highest whole life costs trucks are the scania 580 and the FH13’s. fuel wise they are on par with a 105 510 daf at 8.9 mpg on uk - Italy-uk and all Europe runs at an average weight of 33.8 tons across the board. clutch life etc is on par depending on driver style. interior components all we have had is dump valves in seats and a few dashboard rattles. the sun visors don’t like pigeons . valves and electrical probs are very few and far between and dealer back up and parts availability i rate as very good compared to scania and daf. 85% of ours are on 295/60 low ride so cant give a tyre wear comparison to 295/80 tyres so cant help on that part (others are 315). normal service items as a basket are on par with everyone else to be honest and i have found that with man if a part for a comparable truck is cheaper they will match that price. so all in all a good report.

globby 480:
Basically they are a bag of german crap, spend the extra few quid and in the long run it will be money better spent… scania!!! they arnt made to be thrown away after 3 years :grimacing:

Basically this just goes to show that there are two types of poster on TruckNet and it’s up to the OP to sort the wheat from the chaff. :wink:

baby_trucker:
Customer service is shocking ! i cannot report anything good about it at all you have to sign numerous disclaimers at every single inspection to say they cannot be held liable for the repair work, i spent 27 hours in avonmouth MAN service centre to replace the gear box which is a 5 hour job because i had to stay in the truck they towed it out two nights in a row to the street failing to put my batteries back in so i had no night heater lights or anything it was litterally dumped and i was told yeah its there you can go to bed now (gee thanks)

Would i buy a MAN for myself ? after everything the cab space is very good but theres so much that lets it all down so my verdict indifferent.

It was 3/4 years ago I had the misfortune of collecting a (half-repaired) customer’s vehicle from Avonmouth MAN and it was a total muppet show.

There’s not really anything too bad with the trucks themselves. You can get cheap pattern parts from Imex so stuff like smashed steps and bumpers aren’t too bad cost-wise.