Maintenance inspections intervals & MOT's

shuttlespanker:

Own Account Driver:
I would favour the introduction of a system where small operators, particularly, owner drivers could take their vehicles for MOT quarterly or every 8 weeks depending on mileage. Tachograph records could also be checked at the same visit. OCRS could be abandoned for operators on this scheme.

This would stop them having to be pulled at roadside checkpoints. where an owner driver can far less afford to sit around for a couple of hours. It would also provide an additional stream of work to keep all the ATFs that keep opening viable.

The vast majority of operators do want to be compliant and have no wish to operate unsafe vehicles to save a few extra quid but do live in fear of falling victim to some sanction by VOSA unwittingly. Also many of the regimes demanded by VOSA really don’t suit an owner driver like daily checks where as the sole driver they virtually become a pointless check-box exercise.

It would also be better for own account operators like horse boxes and race teams where vehicles are used so sporadically that the existing regimes really don’t work well.

This would also be better for VOSA from a PR point of view as they would have more of an ongoing and constructive relationship with operators rather than the occasional roadside pulls that can often end up be a tense and bad-tempered affair for both sides.

sorry, but, this post has got to be rated high up in the top ten of the total ■■■■■■■■ post of the year

why would anyone want to get a vehicle MoT’d every 6 or 8 weeks?

as was mentioned earlier in the thread, the 6 weekly inspections are far more involved than an MoT

OCRS is a fair system, and works for all operators, how would it be fair for small hauliers and O/D’s to be exempt from it?

and, can you imagine the headache involved for VOSA to manage that system :open_mouth:

as for it benefitting the smaller operator by not getting pulled by VOSA, there we go again, another load of ■■■■■■■■, VOSA will pull anyone whoever they feel like, just because a company is on green OCRS, that does not mean hey will not get pulled, it just means they are less likely

as for it being “often end up be a tense and bad-tempered affair for both sides”, i can honestly say, out of all the times that i, personally, have had encounters with VOSA, whether it be at a roadside inspection or a pre booked MoT, it has never been tense or bad tempered, often, it is down to the attitude of the driver that antagonises the situation

you also go on to say, that small hauliers can ill afford to sit around for a couple of hours at a roadside check, there again, i have only ever been held up for about 15 minutes per time, and the longest ever was little over 30 minutes

just how long do you think it would take for a vehicle to go for MoT every time?

you WILL lose the vehicle for at least half a day every time, thus, costing the small haulier more money

needs a little more thought before posting me thinks :wink:

You haven’t followed it. I am suggesting that by effectively presenting your vehicle to VOSA voluntarily ideally quarterly (more often for heavy work/high mileage) and tachograph records being offered simultaneously for inspection you would in return from VOSA not be pulled in for roadside checks and be free to operate whatever maintenance regime you saw fit and have no reason to fear an impromptu VOSA visit to your yard disrupting your business. (Other than weight checks and there would have to be an undertaking by VOSA to process these in maximum time from being pulled).

Many owner drivers are at a halfway house for maintenance where they can do a lot of bits themselves but don’t have a pit/ramps or roller brake tester and there’s now hundreds of ATF lanes with exactly the right equipment. With what I’m suggesting they would not have to take it to a third party workshop every six weeks only if they wanted to because they want some work doing, so therefore are more than compensated time wise for the 3+ extra MOTs annually.

Yes, six weekly inspections are typically more involved than MOT but these are not safety critical items but things like oil and water levels and no owner driver is going to run their lorry around letting these run dangerously low.

I know the typical RHA inpsection sheet features a huge list of checks but VOSAs guidance to operators on inspections is almost purely safety focused and basically an MOT - obviously the bird presenting it needs a good under chassis inspection. :wink:

VOSA are notorious for mixed messages and inconsistent enforcement but in that film they even suggest numerous ways small operators can complete safety inspections without the need to purchase expensive workshop equipment.

muckles:

Own Account Driver:
I would favour the introduction of a system where small operators, particularly, owner drivers could take their vehicles for MOT quarterly or every 8 weeks depending on mileage. Tachograph records could also be checked at the same visit. OCRS could be abandoned for operators on this scheme.

It would also be better for own account operators like horse boxes and race teams where vehicles are used so sporadically that the existing regimes really don’t work well.

I don’t really see how it would help race teams, thats people like me, we already have a 12 weekly inspections agreed as part of our O’licence. Being done by our local commercial vehicle garage is great I can fit in the inspection at short notice to fit round our work and as well as checking our vehicle are safe and legal they keep an eye on other things that could cause us problems like breaking down on the way to a circuit. When it comes to the annual test I have to try and book the almost 2 month in advance to get the dates that suit our schedules I’d hate to have to plan for that every 8 to 12 weeks.

It wouldn’t benefit anyone on inspections as far apart as that a great deal but would give peace of mind of knowing you won’t get a run in with VOSA and your tachographs are OK. Obviously, with what I’m suggesting the MOTs would be pre-arranged on fixed dates with some mechanism for flexibility, maybe some way to swap about slots online a few days either way.

I’m talking myself our of business but what really is the commercial garage offering you couldn’t do yourself and, I’m guessing, like with our customers you’ve got to work out the logistics of dropping the vehicle off and collecting it. Watch, the video I posted above, I bet there’s not much you’d struggle to carry out.

I’m not saying this would be mandatory but offered as an alternative to the current system for those it would suit and I think there are a lot of owner drivers. Also own account operators it would suit well, who often don’t have a transport manager and aren’t really engaged with the road haulage world as it’s usually just a side-effect of their business, they get the peace of mind of knowing they’re compliant and aren’t open to any nasty surprises through ignorance or strangled with another layer of record-keeping and bureaucracy just because they need to move something from A to B.

What my point is
Instead of sending truck to dealer/garage for an inspection which would cost let’s say 120 quid with no real come backs send vehicle to vosa approved site or test centre lets say every 6 weeks cost approx same as dealer
Now if you get stopped and given pg for whatever and get a visit from vosa mafia mob about maintain e but you told them that all the inspections are carried out by THEIR MEN not the repairs
What would they do take their own people to a public inquiry ?

Own Account Driver:

muckles:

Own Account Driver:

I don’t really see how it would help race teams, thats people like me, we already have a 12 weekly inspections agreed as part of our O’licence. Being done by our local commercial vehicle garage is great I can fit in the inspection at short notice to fit round our work and as well as checking our vehicle are safe and legal they keep an eye on other things that could cause us problems like breaking down on the way to a circuit. When it comes to the annual test I have to try and book the almost 2 month in advance to get the dates that suit our schedules I’d hate to have to plan for that every 8 to 12 weeks.

It wouldn’t benefit anyone on inspections as far apart as that a great deal but would give peace of mind of knowing you won’t get a run in with VOSA and your tachographs are OK. Obviously, with what I’m suggesting the MOTs would be pre-arranged on fixed dates with some mechanism for flexibility, maybe some way to swap about slots online a few days either way.

I’m talking myself our of business but what really is the commercial garage offering you couldn’t do yourself and, I’m guessing, like with our customers you’ve got to work out the logistics of dropping the vehicle off and collecting it. Watch, the video I posted above, I bet there’s not much you’d struggle to carry out.

I’m not saying this would be mandatory but offered as an alternative to the current system for those it would suit and I think there are a lot of owner drivers. Also own account operators it would suit well, who often don’t have a transport manager and aren’t really engaged with the road haulage world as it’s usually just a side-effect of their business, they get the peace of mind of knowing they’re compliant and aren’t open to any nasty surprises through ignorance or strangled with another layer of record-keeping and bureaucracy just because they need to move something from A to B.

I suppose with some setting up we could so inspections, but the space things like inspection pits would take up and the time required for our mechanics to do it would be better used in the process of preparing racing cars, we can earn a lot more doing that than we get charged for looking after our trucks. And although we have some very skilled mechanics they know racing cars and have never worked on hgv’s. Our commercial garage does more than a basic check to comply with what’s required. They keep an eye out for those little problems that might let us down and they have far more experience of what might happen to our trucks than our mechy’s. I think the fact that for some of them trucks are more than just a job also helps, one of the mechnics has his own classic trucks and uses his own Volvo F12 to pull them round with.

Although I think you do have a point about keeping up with compliance for those who hold Restricted licences and don’t need a CPC holder, but I don’t know if this would be the answer for us.

TRAILERS1:
What my point is
Instead of sending truck to dealer/garage for an inspection which would cost let’s say 120 quid with no real come backs send vehicle to vosa approved site or test centre lets say every 6 weeks cost approx same as dealer
Now if you get stopped and given pg for whatever and get a visit from vosa mafia mob about maintain e but you told them that all the inspections are carried out by THEIR MEN not the repairs
What would they do take their own people to a public inquiry ?

this is where your plan fails

VOSA only do MoT’s, even at the ATF’s, they will not do a 6 weekly inspection for you, if you wanted the PMI doing at an ATF, it would be the site owners, not VOSA

when i first started out, i had a truck on a service contract at a main dealer, this included all PMI’s, 2 services per year and the MoT

in this, all fluids were included, but, no parts (apart from filters and such on full service), not even bulbs, hence i received an invoice for £36 to change a bulb :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

for this, i was paying £170 per month

a local mechanic will do your PMI’s for approx £60, and will inform you of any other work that needs doing at the same time

if you are mechanically minded, you can even do the PMI’s yourself

What my point is
What would they do take their own people to a public inquiry

ok
my point is inspection or full mot every six weeks i takes the guys 40 mins to do 3 axle truck mot takes a dealer hours cos you try and drive into dealer for a fixed appointment and be back out within two hrs (no chance)
vosa will do mot every month if you want your given them funds
the points is if only vosa did mot /inspections every six weeks would they take own guys to a pi

what part of VOSA do not do PMI’s did you not understand?

If you take your vehicle to an ATF for its PMI, it will be the ATF employees that do the PMI

NOT VOSA!!!

FFS, is it that hard for you to understand this simple explanation?

Edit to add: VOSA MoT inspectors do NOT work for or employed by the ATF site

well
YOUR NOT GETTING THE POINT
do a mot every six weeks use that as the inspection,
i know the difference between a mot /inspection /repair/service
the point i am trying to say is if your vehicle was mot every six weeks and you get stopped for what ever and vosa comes and says there is something wrong with your maintainance inspections would they take their own staff to a PI

I KNOW A LAD THAT GETS HIS 7.5 TONNER MOT EVERY 8 WEEKS AT A VOSA STATION NOT ATF HE SAYS ITS CHEAPER THAN MAIN DEALER

It must be 100% better with the ATF but it was a nightmare trying to get an MOT on the date you wanted, if everyone was going to take the whole fleet for an MOT every 6 weeks, then the queue would stretch into next year.

6 week inspections are not set in stone, it depends what you applied for on the GV79, some vehicles will easily go 12 weeks without inspection, some will only go 4 weeks, dependant on mileage, type of work, conditions, etc.

If you have an MOT and the vehicle has a bulb out, it will fail test. look how many people have been hauled up for poor headlight aim when licences have come up for renewal. With continuous operator licensing the VOSA men are looking at vehicles being roadworthy all year round, and not just for a couple of days per year.

From a mechanic this is how I run my maintenance program: 6 weekly gets done! So lets say next 6 weekly falls a week after the MOT. (look at the MOT as your master service and work off that) 6 weekly gets called forward one week 6 weekly inspection is done and any repairs carried out, I service every 6 months in line with the MOT so no filter or oil issues to trip me up on MOT. The vehicle is then given a thorough deep cleanse and this is carried out one day prior to MOT. 23 MOTs done so far this year and a pass rate of 91.3%. Testers are happy with my procedure as my MOT pack contains Last 6w (one day old) the last MOT (and £50 lol). VOSA would call what I do an over inspection but once a year never does any harm. Considering the fact inspection interval is determined on annual mileage against road conditions/type and vehilce build purpose most people actually over inspect anyway but better to be safe than sorry!!

A final point is the 6weekly or MOT is only good at the point of the inspection being carried out there after its drivers responibility to REPORT any Issues.

All this seems pretty simple to me but trying to cut costs on maintenance should be a big no no in my eyes! Just plan it out better you get a full month to get an MOT done and the that allows you to slide it around to suit your 6 weekly interval inspection (hence saving money by aligning 3 or 4 cost into a one day period of downtime.

TRAILERS1:
well
YOUR NOT GETTING THE POINT
do a mot every six weeks use that as the inspection,
i know the difference between a mot /inspection /repair/service
the point i am trying to say is if your vehicle was mot every six weeks and you get stopped for what ever and vosa comes and says there is something wrong with your maintainance inspections would they take their own staff to a PI

I KNOW A LAD THAT GETS HIS 7.5 TONNER MOT EVERY 8 WEEKS AT A VOSA STATION NOT ATF HE SAYS ITS CHEAPER THAN MAIN DEALER

does your mate send it anywhere for a pre MoT inspection to make sure it passes? or does he just take it and hope for the best?

TRAILERS1:

Of course they wouldn’t, they would take you to a PI for never having a PMI done on your vehicle. An MoT is not a PMI and if you have agreed to have a PMI every 6 weeks and you never have one then you’re in big trouble.

Paul