M25 coach crash. Major incident

Harry Monk:

toonsy:
I also know that they have uprated brakes, tyres and, mostly, have a far more stringent safety inspection routine than any HGV I’ve ever driven.

I must admit I don’t know very much at all about PCV operation. How does the safety inspection routine differ from that for LGVs?

Hmmm, I am fairly sure it does not although toonsy seems to have different ideas. I drove Lorries and Coaches out of the same yard in one job.
Both types worked on by same mechanics and never ever heard of uprated brakes or tyres. Fairly sure on that one or maybe the company I worked for were at it!

Harry Monk:

toonsy:
I also know that they have uprated brakes, tyres and, mostly, have a far more stringent safety inspection routine than any HGV I’ve ever driven.

I must admit I don’t know very much at all about PCV operation. How does the safety inspection routine differ from that for LGVs?

The inspection cycle is shorter, as in two-weekly instead of six-weekly at my old place. Towards the end of my eight years there they’d just changed it to a three week cycle but that took VOSA as there were then coming in to approve it.

But then again that’s just my experience working for a large bus and coach operator who did everything by the book and then a bit more and I’ve no doubt that others operators will run to the bare minimum.

The braking system is uprated to give performance without launching everyone through the windscreen. So the physical pads/drums aren’t different but the gubbins behind it is.

toonsy:
The braking system is uprated to give performance without launching everyone through the windscreen. So the physical pads/drums aren’t different but the gubbins behind it is.

Wish they´d up-rate the London bus drivers, their braking is atrocious. :open_mouth:

steviespain:

toonsy:

Wish they´d up-rate the London bus drivers, their braking is atrocious. :open_mouth:

It’s not just London I can assure you. Many cities where bus drivers seem to have no idea how to use air brakes. So much for the safety and comfort of their passengers. :unamused:

jakethesnake:

steviespain:

toonsy:

It’s not just London I can assure you. Many cities where bus drivers seem to have no idea how to use air brakes. So much for the safety and comfort of their passengers. :unamused:

Well, I´m off for an assessment with Stagecoach tomorrow, down in West Ham. I shall attempt to show them how it´s done :smiley:
No no no, it´s just an obligation from the CPC course I did. Although…the way things are going…
NO! What am I thinking!!

So it’s settled then… it was going to (sic) fast.

lizard:

SouthEastCashew:
Going to fast maybe… baffles me why they are aloud to do the speed they do with all them lifes onboard.

Totally agree. I’ve never understood how we can drive a 44 ton truck/weapon and have our speed restricted but a coach (that weighs in at at around 25 ton fully laden) can carry upto 50 odd passengers can hurtle along at 70mph. Surely it would be a good idea to restrict the speed of these to help prevent more of these crashes and hopefully save more life’s. Just thankfully no 1 has died in this incident.
no but there was a baby born in the traffic jam,wonder what the are going to call it,hazard a guess Swanley
Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

jakethesnake:

steviespain:

toonsy:

A friend of mine drove double deckers for a cities bus company and they were told to avoid heavy braking incase passenger safety was compromised. That’s why instead of stopping he took the door off of the mayor’s car when the driver opened it in front of his bus! :laughing:

Pete.

Modern coaches are limited to 100 k.p.h. this equates to 62 mph. I don’t know what the brakes are uprated from though.

windrush:

jakethesnake:

steviespain:

toonsy:

A friend of mine drove double deckers for a cities bus company and they were told to avoid heavy braking incase passenger safety was compromised. That’s why instead of stopping he took the door off of the mayor’s car when the driver opened it in front of his bus! :laughing:

Pete.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

malcolmgbell:

lizard:

SouthEastCashew:
Going to fast maybe… baffles me why they are aloud to do the speed they do with all them lifes onboard.

Totally agree. I’ve never understood how we can drive a 44 ton truck/weapon and have our speed restricted but a coach (that weighs in at at around 25 ton fully laden) can carry upto 50 odd passengers can hurtle along at 70mph. Surely it would be a good idea to restrict the speed of these to help prevent more of these crashes and hopefully save more life’s. Just thankfully no 1 has died in this incident.
no but there was a baby born in the traffic jam,wonder what the are going to call it,hazard a guess Swanley

Reckon there’s a biy of jelousy going on here! I read it’s because coach drivers are higher quality than most truck drivers but that ain’t hard theses days is it. :laughing:

What’s wrong with speed anyway. Just the other week on here a few were going on saying speed does not kill. :laughing:

On a serious note personally I don’t think the speed has anything to do with most of these accidents (LGC +PCV) It’s probably dozy runts not paying attention and having no idea how to keep a safe distance which both groups score highly at these days.

jakethesnake:

malcolmgbell:

lizard:

SouthEastCashew:

Reckon there’s a biy of jelousy going on here! I read it’s because coach drivers are higher quality than most truck drivers but that ain’t hard theses days is it. :laughing:

What’s wrong with speed anyway. Just the other week on here a few were going on saying speed does not kill. :laughing:

On a serious note personally I don’t think the speed has anything to do with most of these accidents (LGC +PCV) It’s probably dozy runts not paying attention and having no idea how to keep a safe distance which both groups score highly at these days.

How did you find out his surname?? :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

Piston broke:

jakethesnake:

malcolmgbell:

lizard:

SouthEastCashew:

Reckon there’s a biy of jelousy going on here! I read it’s because coach drivers are higher quality than most truck drivers but that ain’t hard theses days is it. [emoji38]

What’s wrong with speed anyway. Just the other week on here a few were going on saying speed does not kill. [emoji38]

How did you find out his surname?? :open_mouth: [emoji38] [emoji38]

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Nice one :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: