Losing skills.

Gidders:
Ah yes.The joys of reversing a rear steer tandem bogie controlled by crossed rods by means of a wedge in the 5th.wheel jaws.Hours of amusement for spectators.

I loved the one I drove regularly. It was often easier to get into places than a rigid (provided there was a bit of room to swing the cab around). But as you say, much amusement for bystanders whenever someone who wasn’t used to it tried to reverse onto a bay…

Arrived at Harrods in Thatcham, took me 5 attempts to get it on the bay even though every single bay was clear! In contrast, I managed to blind side into a space in between two wagons at Magor services in one shot whilst everyone was watching me.

Radar19:
Arrived at Harrods in Thatcham, took me 5 attempts to get it on the bay even though every single bay was clear! In contrast, I managed to blind side into a space in between two wagons at Magor services in one shot whilst everyone was watching me.

I find that. Give me loads of room and I’ll bugger it up. Inch on either side and barely enough length to get the vehicle in and it goes in first time. Can only assume its because having all the room you don’t think about it.

aye had to reverse a b train for the first time in two years last week .plenty o room to park between two trailers:twisted: :imp: stevie wonder could have done better!! .Boss caught the tail end o the performance did it but about 7 shunts…rest o the week every time I reversed a rigid he asked if I needed a hand …ffs. :blush:

Anyone who hasn’t is a liar.
My most impressive was reversing at Blakemores. Made the classic mistake of using the unit next to me as a guide. After nearly knocking my teeth out I hadn’t noticed it was an urban trailer.
Lesson learned

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

P Stoff:
Anyone who hasn’t is a liar.
My most impressive was reversing at Blakemores. Made the classic mistake of using the unit next to me as a guide. After nearly knocking my teeth out I hadn’t noticed it was an urban trailer.
Lesson learned

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Heh. Back in the early 90’s I was TM at a Nightfreight depot; if no driver was about and the trunk trailer needed moving I did it, got me out of the office for a few minutes.

I’d done this for a while, and my marker for being about 3 inches from the dock was a particular kerbstone in the yard. One day, short of the mark by a yard, THUMP! No damage but it didn’t half give me a fright.

It was just then that I remembered the memo from my boss, on my desk, which mentioned that our new trailer was 44’ long.

I used to have a regular collection in Milton Keynes. The warehouse floor was the same level as the ground outside so they cut a sloping channel to make a dock. There were always cars parked opposite and not much room to manoeuvre; the trick was to drive past the dock and then turn right to get the unit at 90 degrees. If you judged it right, you could just reverse round, straightening up as you went, and slot the trailer into the gully in one hit. Pull forward to straighten up and Bob’s your mother’s brother.

One afternoon I was just trickling the trailer into the slot when I heard a beep BEEP BEEP. I stopped and got out, to see that there was a small van already in there… Phew!

Santa:
I used to have a regular collection in Milton Keynes. The warehouse floor was the same level as the ground outside so they cut a sloping channel to make a dock. There were always cars parked opposite and not much room to manoeuvre; the trick was to drive past the dock and then turn right to get the unit at 90 degrees. If you judged it right, you could just reverse round, straightening up as you went, and slot the trailer into the gully in one hit. Pull forward to straighten up and Bob’s your mother’s brother.

One afternoon I was just trickling the trailer into the slot when I heard a beep BEEP BEEP. I stopped and got out, to see that there was a small van already in there… Phew!

Don’t you know by now bloody van drivers will always get in your way? :grimacing: