Lorry driver given four year sentence after fatal

robroy:

jakethesnake:
Definitely more than one or two cases a year. The problem is there are many drivers like yourself that think they are perfectly capable to maintain full concentration whilst having a conversation.
Of course a lot depends on the driver and the conversation however I am fairly certain the guy that has been jailed thought he was capable probably making and taking calls everyday.Never had a problem till now.
That’s my point, it can all go wrong very quickly for anyone having their concentration disturbed. It only needs to happen once and in this case the poor driver will regret it for the rest of his life no doubt.
It’s just not worth it to me but I understand it has now become part of the job nowadays.(sadly)

More than 1 or 2 a year?..really?
They always tend to be rightly so high profile when fatalities occur in those phone related situations, so unless you are confusing your last ‘‘utter carnage’’ theory on here with reality, I don’t see where you are coming from on this tbh. :neutral_face:
Furthermore…there you go again with your Jakey generalising/sweeping statements. :unamused:
I ain’t saying I am better than anybody else, what I am saying is that I’m not some inept buffoon who has to sit there like a robot whilst driving, concentrating 101% and ignoring everything else around me…the same with 1000s of others in fact.
Individuals vary in their multi tasking abilities from person to person, as somebody said, we ALL used hand held phones at first, the adept managed, the inept did not.
So pleaseJake you know nothing about me (as I’ ve told you many times on here before) so don’t tell me what I am and am not able to do…Cheers.
As for things maybe or likely going wrong…that’s life in anything, accidents happen.
By your standards and theories, If I had an accident whilst picking my nose or scratching my arse, would that be also called for a blanket ban?

Yes more than one or two a year and countless others that don’t involve fatalities.
I am not saying you are inept or a buffoon but all I am saying is some of those involved in these accidents are not inept or buffoons either.