Lorries with 13-speed Fuller Roadranger 'boxes

Tubbysboy:
This had 13 speed fuller in it. I passed my class 1 in a four wheeler 291, the examiner at the test station was impressed !!

One in the photo was a 20.331 and went like the wind. The 291 wasn’t quite as fast, but still went well. MAN suited the 13 speed box very well, I always thought they changed better than with a ■■■■■■■ / 13 speed. The revs seemed to drop quicker in the MAN, to me at least.

I thought the Fuller 13 installation in these was amazing. I talked to another driver at the time who didn’t even realise that they were constant mesh - they were that good! Like all of us, he double de-clutched whatever the gearbox and he had not even noticed that they were non-sychromesh! Robert

robert1952:

andrew.s:
ooohhh-13 speed fuller,my fave gearbox !!
my father used to own a transcon with one(best motor he’s ever had)but i dont have any pics at the moment.,i had these MAN’s long term,both fitted with mr fullers 13 cogs,superb!even my three year old son liked the fuller box lol10
the yellow one was a much rougher motor,but had a much nicer box,and was very high geared-(and a defective speed limiter :sunglasses: end of the green band on the rev counter was about 75mph!),would happily go off the clock.happy days!! also unstopable off road.

As you probably know, I’m a school-teacher as well as a lorry driver. Over the last 41 years I’ve taught every age-group from 3 to 18; and I can assure you that 3-year-old boys are extremely discerning when it comes to lorries. When I taught in Rome some years ago, I commented to the head of ‘early years’ that the standard of pedal-car driving was astounding in the playground and that one particular 3-year-old drove far better than all the rest of the Italians in Rome. His teacher told me that his nickname was ‘Schumy’ (after Schumker) and that his father was a world-class racing driver. I do find all this kind of stuff most humbling! Robert :laughing:

hahaha-superb robert!!
my little ray of sunshine pictured at the wheel aged 3 in the pic above,is now nearly 15 and the most stroppy teenager imaginable-he communicates in grunts -if at all lol.you really must have the patience of a saint to be a teacher of these devils!!

andrew.s:

robert1952:

andrew.s:
ooohhh-13 speed fuller,my fave gearbox !!
my father used to own a transcon with one(best motor he’s ever had)but i dont have any pics at the moment.,i had these MAN’s long term,both fitted with mr fullers 13 cogs,superb!even my three year old son liked the fuller box lol10
the yellow one was a much rougher motor,but had a much nicer box,and was very high geared-(and a defective speed limiter :sunglasses: end of the green band on the rev counter was about 75mph!),would happily go off the clock.happy days!! also unstopable off road.

As you probably know, I’m a school-teacher as well as a lorry driver. Over the last 41 years I’ve taught every age-group from 3 to 18; and I can assure you that 3-year-old boys are extremely discerning when it comes to lorries. When I taught in Rome some years ago, I commented to the head of ‘early years’ that the standard of pedal-car driving was astounding in the playground and that one particular 3-year-old drove far better than all the rest of the Italians in Rome. His teacher told me that his nickname was ‘Schumy’ (after Schumker) and that his father was a world-class racing driver. I do find all this kind of stuff most humbling! Robert :laughing:

hahaha-superb robert!!
my little ray of sunshine pictured at the wheel aged 3 in the pic above,is now nearly 15 and the most stroppy teenager imaginable-he communicates in grunts -if at all lol.you really must have the patience of a saint to be a teacher of these devils!!

Maybe I have: I do find my Cairo 15-year-olds as engaging as my 3-year-olds, but at 62 I get that feeling that my shelf-life is terminating! Robert :laughing:

robert1952:

Tubbysboy:
This had 13 speed fuller in it. I passed my class 1 in a four wheeler 291, the examiner at the test station was impressed !!

One in the photo was a 20.331 and went like the wind. The 291 wasn’t quite as fast, but still went well. MAN suited the 13 speed box very well, I always thought they changed better than with a ■■■■■■■ / 13 speed. The revs seemed to drop quicker in the MAN, to me at least.

I thought the Fuller 13 installation in these was amazing. I talked to another driver at the time who didn’t even realise that they were constant mesh - they were that good! Like all of us, he double de-clutched whatever the gearbox and he had not even noticed that they were non-sychromesh! Robert

Hardly needed the clutch in a MAN, unlike a Foden we used to have (unfortunately no photos of it) was ■■■■■■ back 350 ■■■■■■■ with a 13 speed on the foden cable idea. Had big high roof etc… But for some reason probably lack of servicing used to hold to revs as if the fuel filter was blocked…always had to clutch it apart from on the top

Tubbysboy:

robert1952:

Tubbysboy:

Hardly needed the clutch in a MAN, unlike a Foden we used to have (unfortunately no photos of it) was ■■■■■■ back 350 ■■■■■■■ with a 13 speed on the foden cable idea. Had big high roof etc… But for some reason probably lack of servicing used to hold to revs as if the fuel filter was blocked…always had to clutch it apart from on the top

Split (missing word ! )

Also drove a lateish foden 3325 with a 13 speed… but with the rolls / Perkins engine in it…had to pull away in1st when loaded on the flat…was so over geared was untrue… But never used to have to use the clutch as much as the ■■■■■■■ one…

Another motor with a 13 speed…

Bought for peanuts and weren’t a bad old tool…

Another 13-speeder wot I driv. Parked up at the Gate Cafe at Dunkirk on the A2. Robert :slight_smile:

Hey, here my last lorry ,last trip and it’s last trip, and last RTO14613.
Happy to be allowed to drive sometimes still an RTO9513.

cheers Eric,

hey, And fast forgotten, and this was the last too, now ready for my car.

Cheers Eric,

tiptop495:

cheers Eric,

Wow Eric, I’m amazed that any DAF 95s had Roadrangers in them! Fantastic! I loved the DAF 95s and I often thought that they’d be perfect with a Fuller, and now you’ve proved the case. Cheers! Robert :slight_smile:

Dan Punchard:

3300John:
Hiya…i’am not to late am i.this ERF was new to Wardel,s at Lymm she was one flying machine like 80mph+.
she had a 13speed fuller a dream to drive with a big cam 290 under the bonnet, i tried to get feed back from
former drivers but got nothing. i do know by the amount of round spent cards under the bunk she liked been
parked in Arras or there about…VED 571S was the reg.I,was in Bangor tipping cast iron scrap from Sheffield
in the photo.

John

hi john that pic reminds of one of my first loads of scrap bales to qualcast derby having to let the body down before hitting the overhead lpg pipes.

Hiya Dan…yes i also knew the pipework at Qualcast. i did quite a few loads into that place in the early 80,s.but with a 8 legger MAN
John

tiptop495:

cheers Eric,

I’m still impressed with your DAF with a Fuller, Eric. Do you know of any others? I do remember when for a brief period DAF put rather thirsty ■■■■■■■ 500s in some of their 95s and I was disappointed to discover that none appeared to have been fitted with Fullers. Back in the early '90s I used to think that a DAF Super-space 400 with a Fuller might be the ultimate long-hauler! Cheers for that posting. Robert :smiley:

robert1952:

tiptop495:

cheers Eric,

I’m still impressed with your DAF with a Fuller, Eric. Do you know of any others? I do remember when for a brief period DAF put rather thirsty ■■■■■■■ 500s in some of their 95s and I was disappointed to discover that none appeared to have been fitted with Fullers. Back in the early '90s I used to think that a DAF Super-space 400 with a Fuller might be the ultimate long-hauler! Cheers for that posting. Robert :smiley:

Hey Robert, Before the ATI series, as it had a Fuller in it, it was standard. From the ATI on the Fuller was an option.
in the first 95’s an option too, but less and less used.
With euro I it was an extra pay option so more the less, and with the Euro II non Fuller anymore.
But without to bear some customers in mind. the same family in the same town sold daf’s and MAN’s but both separately and with a big rivalry. And MAN stayed to deliver for a while longer. So some changed to MAN’s and DAF importer on demanding of the dealers in some places began to deliver it again, till the end of the 95. And thereafter it wasn’t allowed by law (noise levers etc…). And the XF never got one, and by then most driver hate them and preffered immediately all auto boxes. No gearchange,no roping and sheeting, no dismantelings of tilts (TIR), and what’s the next…
Mine was one of the very last built, and have hold it with my two hands, most went around 1.500.000 km what was long at the company which did a lot of kilometers, but then it was so here. But could manage it till about 2.000.000km, whithout once to open the Fuller, but engine and driveaxle stayed Original too. All eared 3 times their money, the first 1.000.000 km then second or a part of it, then kept the best parts for other,and thereafter sold for export compleet worn out for a lot of money, because at that time the Daf’s were very asked for by the black men.
The only weak point was the PTO mounting which came loose, we had to re-thread them with fine thread and 10.9 bolts. The DAF went, as the company was taken over, and the driver too. :wink:

Cheers Eric,

tiptop495:

robert1952:

tiptop495:

cheers Eric,

Hey Robert, Before the ATI series, as it had a Fuller in it, it was standard. From the ATI on the Fuller was an option.
in the first 95’s an option too, but less and less used.
With euro I it was an extra pay option so more the less, and with the Euro II non Fuller anymore.
But without to bear some customers in mind. the same family in the same town sold daf’s and MAN’s but both separately and with a big rivalry. And MAN stayed to deliver for a while longer. So some changed to MAN’s and DAF importer on demanding of the dealers in some places began to deliver it again, till the end of the 95. And thereafter it wasn’t allowed by law (noise levers etc…). And the XF never got one, and by then most driver hate them and preffered immediately all auto boxes. No gearchange,no roping and sheeting, no dismantelings of tilts (TIR), and what’s the next…
Mine was one of the very last built, and have hold it with my two hands, most went around 1.500.000 km what was long at the company which did a lot of kilometers, but then it was so here. But could manage it till about 2.000.000km, whithout once to open the Fuller, but engine and driveaxle stayed Original too. All eared 3 times their money, the first 1.000.000 km then second or a part of it, then kept the best parts for other,and thereafter sold for export compleet worn out for a lot of money, because at that time the Daf’s were very asked for by the black men.
The only weak point was the PTO mounting which came loose, we had to re-thread them with fine thread and 10.9 bolts. The DAF went, as the company was taken over, and the driver too. :wink:

Cheers Eric,

Thanks for that Eric. Happy Easter! Robert :slight_smile:

The 3300 DAF came with a ZF did it not, I thought the Fuller was on the 2800

robroy:
The 3300 DAF came with a ZF did it not, I thought the Fuller was on the 2800

That’s correct, Robroy, but there were clearly exceptions. For example, at the start of this thread I cited the Turkish-spec 3300 version which had Fuller 13s installed. Tip-top (Eric) is also citing exceptions. I expect if you were Dutch in those days you could go along to DAF and persuade them to pop a Fuller 13 in for you. Just as in Germany, you could ask MAN to install one in your 19.422 Roadhaus if you asked nicely. They were not available in Britain. But every cloud has a silver lining, because when DAF brought out the DKSE 2800 ATi, everyone on the Continent had to put up with that ZF Ecosplit, while the export British version rejoiced in a 9-speed Fuller, as standard! Yeah! Robert :smiley:

A while ago (mostly on the 9-speed Fuller thread) we had some interesting debates about why some Fuller 13-speeders needed the clutch to actuate the splitter mechanism and some didn’t. Well, we should have known that Pat Kennett would come up the the answers! It depended on how the pipes were routed! I reproduce here for your edification his article on the subject. Robert :smiley:

robert1952:
A while ago (mostly on the 9-speed Fuller thread) we had some interesting debates about why some Fuller 13-speeders needed the clutch to actuate the splitter mechanism and some didn’t. Well, we should have known that Pat Kennett would come up the the answers! It depended on how the pipes were routed! I reproduce here for his article on the subject. Robert :smiley:

brilliant robert.do you have any more of the late great pat kennets “better driving” or “looking back” articles ? i seem to remember they were from the early truck and driver magazines.used to love these articles !!

andrew.s:

robert1952:
A while ago (mostly on the 9-speed Fuller thread) we had some interesting debates about why some Fuller 13-speeders needed the clutch to actuate the splitter mechanism and some didn’t. Well, we should have known that Pat Kennett would come up the the answers! It depended on how the pipes were routed! I reproduce here for his article on the subject. Robert :smiley:

brilliant robert.do you have any more of the late great pat kennets “better driving” or “looking back” articles ? i seem to remember they were from the early truck and driver magazines.used to love these articles !!

I have, but they’ve been filleted and posted into various ring-binders according to subject. I only came across this one because I found a ‘constant mesh’ file! As I discover more I’ll post them on appropriate threads for you. Robert :slight_smile:

On the Foden 12 speed 'box you could tell which drivers pre-selected the auxiliary change too early because (on dismantling the gearbox) the selector fork would be worn! Air pressure held the splitter in gear, it would often drop out of cog when the air pressure dropped. On the later eight/nine speeds (still 12 gears in there though!) the clutch needed depressing to actuate the split so fork wear was uncommon. The splitter was held in gear by a conventional ball and spring on those, though if the box was worn and jumping out of gear we would wind the air change valve open to let pressure hold it in until overhaul time. :wink:

Pete.