OLD AEC

scan0539.jpg

Albino container.

North sheilds. D.F.D.S.

my f88 , tipping a container in bradford 1982

These are from Exel pensioners magazene’s

8LXBV8BRIAN:
Albino container.

They were insulated boxes used for fruit haulage (usually apples). You can see the vent top left on the box I think this was open when the ship was at sea and chilled air pumped in. Not deck cargo though. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong :smiley: :smiley: . Manchester Liners owned Waugh’s, Wardell’s of Warrington,and Comical Cartage of East London ( the spelling error is deliberate). M/L were taken over by OOCL in the mid 70s and they eventually sold off the transport division much to the detriment of our pension prospects. Thats another story though and here Eric might take up the story■■? regards kevmac47.

Driven for 3 months in 1996 out of Teesport for Lex Transfleet, least said the better although the DAF was O.K.

kevmac47:

mappo:
Sorry Ruffin, will this do ■■? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

thats a cracker :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Cowboy hauliers of a new kind

twin splitter:
my f88 , tipping a container in bradford 1982

Where in Bradford?

cant remember it was so long ago

kevmac47:

8LXBV8BRIAN:
Albino container.

They were insulated boxes used for fruit haulage (usually apples). You can see the vent top left on the box I think this was open when the ship was at sea and chilled air pumped in. Not deck cargo though. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong :smiley: :smiley: . Manchester Liners owned Waugh’s, Wardell’s of Warrington,and Comical Cartage of East London ( the spelling error is deliberate). M/L were taken over by OOCL in the mid 70s and they eventually sold off the transport division much to the detriment of our pension prospects. Thats another story though and here Eric might take up the story■■? regards kevmac47.

Kevin, who had the red VOLVOS criag rings a bell did they not belong to Manchester liners to ?
re- the albino box it had a little air con unit in the lower front1/3 panel but you carnt see it in the photo.
remember the oocl take over got a load of oocl transfers to put on the motors guess the colour the same blue as the cab
so they never got fitted to any of the motors.

The two half high containers to the left think they had the lead for Ever Ready at stanley in them before they came back to the yard
to be made up into four emptys to go back to manchester.

Those early refrigerated containers are called “cryogenic” and were filled with liquid nitrogen to keep the loads cold. This is considered “passive” refrigeration, as opposed to the newer mechanical reefers that require electricity from ships/docks or clip on gen-sets. If someone opened one of the early reefer cans without letting it air out, they could suffocate from the gas!