Looking at starting as owner op traction only?

burnley-si:
stay away from maritime/wincantons/bwood and 3 will have you bust with in 6 months

find your own small companies to work for

Utter rubbish.

Started subbing for a Norfolk based SME, couldn’t make it pay. Now on with Wincanton and in profit for the first time. I’ve been on with Wincanton for three weeks and already made up the losses.

Bwood though I will agree with, they take so much off the top you would think they were paying your diesel bill too!

clark0338:
Hi guys i would love to pick peoples brains and ask for advice on the following

• whats the sort of pay rates i should look for to just start with one truck
    *best way/person to get in touch with regards about doing traction only work
    *best place to get fuel card deals /insurance(business and equipment)
    *best to stick to one catagorie of work or to go for anything that is offered up
    *other than o license and the funds to run and maintain what will i need to aquire ?

I am bound to have more questions to ask but if you feel you can answer these and tell me more please reply here ore even pm me that would be great just want to get the right knowlage on how to do this the right way ?

Cheers guys

Most jobs these days are job rate not rate per mile.

Google is your friend.

Fuel card deals?? Not likely as a brand new O/D. Insurance deals, again not going to happen. Expect to be paying north of £7k for insurance for year one.

Categories of work are up to you, better to stick to one type for a while though, get your feet under you. I also know that it’s not that important for a truck driver, but as a businessman, learning to spell is important. Try spell checking.

Things to acquire, for a start:

:: Waste Carriers Licence
:: ICO registration
:: Tacho Downloader
:: Straps and ratchets
:: A hefty overdraft
:: A sense of humour, you will need this the most.

Some interesting replies to the OP. I’ve enjoyed reading this thread, as one who dreams of being an owner driver, motoring through the arid New Mexico landscape, with a chiselled Khrus Kristofferson chin and a beautiful lady with a dirty skirt and convertible car to flirt with.

…and then I wake up to a filthy lay by, with a fat tramper washing his knackers from a jerry can while I try to eat a cheesy meatball sandwich.
Ah well, one can dream…