Longer lorries to be allowed on UK loads

Have to laugh when they make claims bigger trailers will mean less trucks on the road.
All in the aid of cutting congestion and pollution etc.
What is it 12 longer trailers means 1 less normal trailer on the road.?
Can’t see that ever happening.
Company’s will use the longer ones and either driver will be forced on an extra job…or he will just be driving around with empty space on the back.wont make any difference to number of trucks on the road

You will very rarely need these anyway. How many times have fridges gone out on the road not full to the max? There is only so much a driver can deliver in a day. Even collections I can be full but still another driver will need to pickup the second load which is still 10-20 pallets.

The only benefit these will give are scenarios where you are running rammed trailers 24/7 like mail and parcels but for everything else it is pretty pointless.

The other point is that services etc are not built for them. We trialled them and they are all beat up wrecks.

We’ve been trunking on UPS with them for years now single and double deck most nights there full to capacity never had any problems if it’s tight to get on a bay drop the ABS Susie to immobilise the rear steer then it performs as a normal trailer

WhiteTruckMan:
Have maximum vehicle lengths along with permitted rear overhang limits been tweaked at all?

The extra length has been compensated with a rear steer it will swing slightly more to the L or R depending which way your turning but reduces the cut

fingermissing:
Didn’t take these morans long to start moaning.

road.cc/content/news/cycling-uk … ies-301139

89 cyclists losing their life between 2016 and 2021 in collisions involving a heavy goods vehicle :unamused:

So, over a five year period, 89deaths /5 years = 18 per year, or 3 per week. Whereas on average 30 people per year die from drowning in their bath. About 20 people per year die as a result of car accident caused by deer :unamused:

Zac_A:

fingermissing:

89 cyclists losing their life between 2016 and 2021 in collisions involving a heavy goods vehicle :unamused:

So, over a five year period, 89deaths /5 years = 18 per year, or 3 per week. Whereas on average 30 people per year die from drowning in their bath. About 20 people per year die as a result of car accident caused by deer :unamused:

Need buy a new calendar lol.
89 a year 5 years is roughly 18 per year.
But then it doesn’t equate to 3 a week.
Think you mean it equates to 1 death every 3 weeks

Sploom:
I nearly got crushed by one of those because I walked close to it while one was reversing on the bay,I was expecting it to take the normal path but didnt allow for the rear wheel to be oversteering it

There but for the grace of God…

edd1974:

Zac_A:

fingermissing:

Need buy a new calendar lol.
89 a year 5 years is roughly 18 per year.
But then it doesn’t equate to 3 a week.
Think you mean it equates to 1 death every 3 weeks

I was multi tasking at the time, 0.3 per week is what the calculator said (not calendar :wink: )

Beau Nydel:

Sploom:
I nearly got crushed by one of those because I walked close to it while one was reversing on the bay,I was expecting it to take the normal path but didnt allow for the rear wheel to be oversteering it

There but for the grace of God…

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
Naughty boy! :smiley: :smiley:

Cronus:
Won’t be increasing the 44T GVW to accommodate those extra pallets though it seems for now. Only ones I’ve seen are carrying lightweight goods, Walkers crisps for example. I can forsee maybe the large operators utilising them but not smaller general haulage because of the risk of not being able to get into some places with them.

Plenty and plenty load have grozs wwigh only 5-10tonne incl some milck product,Meat,delivery to construction site,farm,paper and more.

The same justification the government used here has been the no.1 arguments of those that have been calling for road trains configurations of tractor+trailer+trailer or even those Swedish combinations of class2+dolly+full size trailer…

Conor:
Good Morning Britain tweeted about it and all the mouthbreathers on Twitter going mental with the usual uninformed rubbish. You can tell that most of them didn’t bother reading the story by the fact they were unaware they’d already been in use a decade.

That doesn’t surprise me, they must all walk around blinkered… lol

My view via the medium of TikTok TikTok - Make Your Day

One of Meacher’s management numnuts was on Greatest Hits SE morning news saying that the biggest problem with the longer vehicles was the need for the junctions to be altered to allow for the greater cut in on the junctions-obviously never heard of the rear steer and the fact that the longer trailers still need to comply with the existing turning circle regs.

With the statement about longer trailers it also said that ( I think it said ) £50 million to be spent on improving drivers facilities etc etc ( same old ■■■■■■■■ ) so rather than just words and promises it would be useful if they actually published a list of exactly what there gonna do so we can see for ourselves what ( if ) there gonna do .
All the hype when the pandemic was on and the ■■■■■■■■ about there being a driver shortage the same promise was rolled out , well all I have seen so far is Lockerbie truck stop & Heywood truck stop both closed down , both pretty decent ( secureish with decent facilities) I expect there is more that have closed those are just 2 of the truck stops that I use to park at .

justpassing:

WhiteTruckMan:
Have maximum vehicle lengths along with permitted rear overhang limits been tweaked at all?

The extra length has been compensated with a rear steer it will swing slightly more to the L or R depending which way your turning but reduces the cut

And that is the danger. You need to allow an extra 4ft for ‘swinging’ (ooh err missus) otherwise you could smash the window of a car on the n/s.