Long trips in a truck vs. car

Its one of the reasons i run an old softly sprung 4x4, all the benefits of the wagon but without the cab nod all artics cannot but suffer from due to the relatively short wheelbase.
Its heavier on fuel than the Mrs’ car but we both prefer to take it when long journeys are needed, just set the cruise for a steady 65 and relax, sit up properly on armchairs in a spacious cabin not with your arse inches from the ground just able to peer over the dash and door skins, with hopeless visibilty these days thanks to fashionable design, ie tiny rear windows and door mirrors on cars of no use to man nor beast, and don’t get me started on stupid wheels and tyres and racing stiff suspension on so many modern cars :imp:

carryfast-yeti:

spike78:

ETS:
Anyone else feel like doing long trips (as a driver) in a truck is actually more comfortable than in a car? I used to do 600-650km per shift and barely felt tired (except towards the end of the week) split in 2, maybe 3 parts. Nowadays I do 300-450km/day in 2 parts and I feel 0 tiredness at the end of my shift. In my car my ■■■ hurts, my back, my legs start to hurt too even after just 2 hours and after a break I’ll feel even worse after the next 1 hour. Are trucks innately more comfortable for travel or am I driving [zb] cars?

You obviously don’t drive an Actros or old Axor :smiley:

yes my Actros is similar ride comfort to my Triumph Herald :frowning:

My usual 4x2 supermarket spec Actros has the comfort level of a ■■? Carn’t think of anything that bad, even a 1970’s tractor driven across a ploughed field at high speed was better :open_mouth:

^^^ how have Mercedes made such a bloody mess of their ride qualities.

I used to drive a supermarket spec day cab 1727 Merc, sat on steel springs, barely any suspension on the driver’s seat though the seat itself was really good, yet the vehicle drove lovely, as smooth riding on the road as any tractor unit currently made, so how 25 years later have they gone so wrong?

Juddian:

I used to drive a supermarket spec day cab 1727 Merc, sat on steel springs, barely any suspension on the driver’s seat though the seat itself was really good, yet the vehicle drove lovely, as smooth riding on the road as any tractor unit currently made, so how 25 years later have they gone so wrong?

Then they bring out a revised model, and instead of listening to drivers, and sorting out the faults with the important stuff, they have a much better alternative, :unamused:
They invest in unnecessary gimmickry like cameras instead of mirrors, touch screen dash and more electronic dog ■■■■. :unamused:

Definitely find driving a truck on long journeys comfier than a car. Years ago i swapped my day job and went from 35k in a BMW to 35k in a Vito van. Noticed after my missus had a BMW but I prefered the sitting position of the Vito and the space around me felt much less claustrophobic. I think with vans, trucks and 4x4 it’s the sit up position that’s nicer than half laying.
I even found excuses to take the Vito rather than BMW on family trips. Got a L200 now which is not too bad.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Carryfast:

carryfast-yeti:

spike78:
You obviously don’t drive an Actros or old Axor :smiley:

yes my Actros is similar ride comfort to my Triumph Herald :frowning:

You can add the old DAF 2500 seats let alone the Merc 2534 to that.
As for the Herald trade it for a Vitesse Mk2 better seats in those and better all round.Especially with a 2.5 engine upgrade. :wink:

But yes in most cases I found trucks to be as comfortable as a decent car.But preferred Bostrom seats to Isringhausen truck seats.

i keep threatening to sell the Herald,but friends and family give me grief,saying you can’t sell ‘Sid’…everyone loves him! might be easier just to buy another more comfortable old banger…er…i mean classic car :laughing:
talking of Daf 2500’s…i never see any on the show circuit,or in classic truck mag’s. BJX 471Y…where are you know? fleet number 549 at Carryfast :smiley:

you can drive for days in a decent truck with all the creature comforts so theres still no comparison.

im driving a dirty diesel carbon emitting ozone eating range rover for the last year or so and its a nice place to sit.
bit of a happy medium for raised viewpoints over the hedges though i always prefer the size of a sprinter/ducato type campervan.
i whacked ■■■■■■■■ 21" alloys with wide tyres on it which helps slow me down a tad as although it goes like a greasy stick up a dogs bum,then it handles like a go kart meaning that apart from drifting round a wet roundabout now and then,if i welly it too much,itl be the type of car to bite you and throw you into a field,hence i cant go completely mental on the country roads in it.//every little helps, :smiley:

Juddian:

Funny enough, I’ve become quite fond of my seat in a Scania, that I was led believe on here that “I should be throwing bricks at” rather than thinking about a “comfortable ride”… :sunglasses: :smiley:
I was always getting backache in Merc seats, with MAN seats - somewhere in between.