Long gone sussex hauliers

You’re right, great day and better memories. Not sure we would get away with any of it these days. I’d forgotten Sid Marchant at Galopin, maybe not all great memories :smiley:

L8FR8:
Come on Terry p and Bunter get some pics on here to keep it going,i know youve got plenty of photos of the old days on TOE,be good to see them again.i know Dez Ewins has got some good pics of early days on there at shoreham. :smiley:

I bet Dez Ewins has got lots of “interesting” pictures from those days :slight_smile: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hi Simon if Health & Safety been around then they’d have had a heart attack looking in the back of them tilts ! Coil Steel just sat in bearers etc., ( Lol ) I attached a pic I came across a while ago is that you ! other names that come back are Dave Edwards Ken Nightingale (alright mush ) Neil from Nottingham with TM Bedford can’t remember his last name, Jim on Lewis’s Northampton Jack on for Coastways with his cousin Jake plus many more great days !

freddyboy:
Hi Simon if Health & Safety been around then they’d have had a heart attack looking in the back of them tilts ! Coil Steel just sat in bearers etc., ( Lol ) I attached a pic I came across a while ago is that you ! other names that come back are Dave Edwards Ken Nightingale (alright mush ) Neil from Nottingham with TM Bedford can’t remember his last name, Jim on Lewis’s Northampton Jack on for Coastways with his cousin Jake plus many more great days !

I remember loading those with Bill from Boxhill in Wales somewhere, and when we got back to Newhaven he was one light, with a side door of the tilt flapping and only held on by the cord. He had lost it on the A281 Guildford/Horsham road. They traced his steps and found it in a hedge. 3 tons of sheet steel !!!
I think that pic is me, deffo my truck, but more interestingly, who is that in the passenger seat?? Around 1983/4 I should think. Did a scotch with Jack from coastways out of Shoreham once, Aberdeen, had to be there by 8 the next day. We went overnight, just made it, and had drunk so much coffee and ProPlus, that neither of us could sleep, so we just kept going, both reloaded Carlisle area and cracked on till we got back to Shoreham. Slept for a whole day afterwards !! That Jake was a head case if I remember, didn’t he have a liking for ladies that cost money?
Health and Safety? Climbing all over those tilts, saving money on the dunnage and resting the steel on broken pallets ■■?
Picture on North Quay from when I was in office for Jim.

fatgeezer:
Bit of a long shot. I worked for Jim Boniface on TOE out of Newhaven for a little while around 1991 and drove a Daf 3300 reg. C923 HGT for him. If anyone should come across a picture of it,I would love to see it again. Thanks.

That was little Barrys motor before he got his F12. It had done some miles. Extra axle courtesy of Dave Brandon I seem to remember. Second on in from right

I remember bumping into Jake years ago I was loading out of Coca Cola at Milton Keynes and he was in there loading, he was on for Stobarts. He was a definite case liking for the ladies like you say, he used to have a air pistol in the cab and if anybody was coming the other way at night on full beam he’d shoot at their lights he also used to have a ghoulish horror mask in the cab and if he saw a coach coming to pass him on the motorway he’d put it on and scare the crap out of passengers. I seem to recall he told me that Jack was then working as a school caretaker. Whatever happened to Jim Boniface ?

simon101:

fatgeezer:
Bit of a long shot. I worked for Jim Boniface on TOE out of Newhaven for a little while around 1991 and drove a Daf 3300 reg. C923 HGT for him. If anyone should come across a picture of it,I would love to see it again. Thanks.

That was little Barrys motor before he got his F12. It had done some miles. Extra axle courtesy of Dave Brandon I seem to remember. Second on in from right

Our F88 coming out of workshops after 3rd axle conversion

I worked for Waughs of Newcastle in the 70s/80s. We had regular work into and out of APV Paramount in Crawley. The Metro Centre Gateshead was under construction at that time, and we often loaded bricks through Comber Transport as a backload, I seem to remember Combers yard was in the same village as the brickyard, but the name of it escapes me. I do remember it was a pretty hard slog back towards Crawley with that bloody awful 1418 Merc I drove then.
Regards Kev.

kevmac47:
I worked for Waughs of Newcastle in the 70s/80s. We had regular work into and out of APV Paramount in Crawley. The Metro Centre Gateshead was under construction at that time, and we often loaded bricks through Comber Transport as a backload, I seem to remember Combers yard was in the same village as the brickyard, but the name of it escapes me. I do remember it was a pretty hard slog back towards Crawley with that bloody awful 1418 Merc I drove then.
Regards Kev.

Piltdown Uckfield

freddyboy:
Our F88 coming out of workshops after 3rd axle conversion

Looks fabulous. Go a long way to beat the looks of those. Must have weighed a ton tho ….what was it empty? 13 to 14 I guess?

Your right about 14, they were great looking trucks in the day, as were the Dafs and still look good even now. I found this Scac picture a while ago, don’t know who’s it is ! Do you remember Peter Kent with the 88 and Terry Blackman with the Maggi ?

freddyboy:
Your right about 14, they were great looking trucks in the day, as were the Dafs and still look good even now. I found this Scac picture a while ago, don’t know who’s it is ! Do you remember Peter Kent with the 88 and Terry Blackman with the Maggi ?

I remember those SCACs, when I started for Jim we were on there, before I went TOE. Transferry had Bob Williams in the office with Eddie and Charles. After those flimsy Galopin trailers the side doors seemed to weigh a ton. At least they were strong enough to keep the steel in.
Yes, I remember them both, Peter was a great one for the CB, I understand he died very young. And Terry and his Maggi, he was from Porstsmouth way wasn’t he? Another ladies man :smiley: :smiley:. Talking of which, there was Blondie (Linda ? ) from Farnham way with a Seddon I think. A proper lorry driver, never scared to get stuck in. Not sure who that is with the MAN, dont remember seeing that.

Peter did die pretty young with the big C. Terry like you say was a ladies man I remember Linda she ended up driving an F10 or 12 she was good at the job and remember seeing her knocking the trailer down in Britsh Steel (as goood as any of us) . I had contact about twelve months ago with someone but can’t remember who it was at the moment it’ll probably come back at some point but they told me they had a reunion of Ro Ro drivers in Newhaven and Linda was there, wish i’d known beforehand i’d have loved to have been there !

freddyboy:
Peter did die pretty young with the big C. Terry like you say was a ladies man and at one point was knocking the bar maid of at the Adur at Shoreham. I remember Linda she ended up driving an F10 or 12 she was good at the job and remember seeing her knocking the trailer down in Britsh Steel (as goood as any of us) . I had contact about twelve months ago with someone but can’t remember who it was at the moment it’ll probably come back at some point but they told me they had a reunion of Ro Ro drivers in Newhaven and Linda was there, wish i’d known beforehand i’d have loved to have been there !

Do you know if any of them are still about? Guess we have all reached that time when funerals are becoming more regular than weddings :slight_smile: :smiley:

simon101:

freddyboy:
Peter did die pretty young with the big C. Terry like you say was a ladies man . I remember Linda she ended up driving an F10 or 12 she was good at the job and remember seeing her knocking the trailer down in Britsh Steel (as goood as any of us) . I had contact about twelve months ago with someone but can’t remember who it was at the moment it’ll probably come back at some point but they told me they had a reunion of Ro Ro drivers in Newhaven and Linda was there, wish i’d known beforehand i’d have loved to have been there !

Do you know if any of them are still about? Guess we have all reached that time when funerals are becoming more regular than weddings :slight_smile: :smiley:

Ive no idea, be nice to think there are still a few of us left. :slight_smile:

Long gone

D3ED128B-59D9-4286-8C5B-FD1A560C78B4.jpeg

Pleased to see another post on the Sussex thread after a year or so.
I thought that It may remind some of the older ex Sussex drivers of
the late 1960s and early 1970s when Robert Baillie & Co Ltd were
operating from Peacehaven and Shoreham, mainly loading tomatoes
from Guernsey, and delivering them throughout the United Kingdom.
The picture that I have posted is one of their early Atkinson Mk1 artics.
I would like to think that one of you older Sussex lads may remember
Robert Baillie lorries and perhaps have some pictures of them stashed away.
Click on picture for full image.

Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Trailer traction out of newhaven

simon101:

freddyboy:

I remember those SCACs, when I started for Jim we were on there, before I went TOE. Transferry had Bob Williams in the office with Eddie and Charles. After those flimsy Galopin trailers the side doors seemed to weigh a ton. At least they were strong enough to keep the steel in.
Yes, I remember them both, Peter was a great one for the CB, I understand he died very young. And Terry and his Maggi, he was from Porstsmouth way wasn’t he? Another ladies man :smiley: :smiley:. Talking of which, there was Blondie (Linda ? ) from Farnham way with a Seddon I think. A proper lorry driver, never scared to get stuck in. Not sure who that is with the MAN, dont remember seeing that.

Hi,

New on the forum and came across this post.

I used to work for SCAC at Newhaven and I’m pretty sure I remember that yellow DAF. Jim Boniface’s wasn’t it? We had our office in Portakabins in Transit Road.

We took over the haulage from Transferry, who moved over to Galopin. Among the drivers, I remember Terry who went to Australia (and came back IIRC) and Howard. There were other drivers whose names I forget: one had a White Road Commander and another guy had a beat up Atki with a day cab that apparently went like the clappers.

I must see if I can find some photos.