LONG DISTANCE DIARIES - PHILIP LlWELLIN & OTHERS

bus pass:
I’ve really enjoyed reading these again - I can’t be the only person who has noticed that we have the first half of one diary (curtainsider loaded with pop on the way to Scotland) followed by the second half of a completely different diary (tanker tipping Cuprinol in Ireland and running back to Frome)!!

I didn’t read this as being passive aggressive, I read it as just giving the OP a heads up that a technical malfunction has occurred.

newmwercman has it right - I was only saying!

The rescanning of old Long Distance Diaries is the best thing to happen on the forum for a long while and I (and many others are) very grateful to DEANB for bringing them back to life. No slight intended!

bus pass:
newmwercman has it right - I was only saying!

The rescanning of old Long Distance Diaries is the best thing to happen on the forum for a long while and I (and many others are) very grateful to DEANB for bringing them back to life. No slight intended!

Have corrected that article now.

Now that we’re all friends again you can post some more then!

I always read the LDD first when I got my copy of TRUCK. Phil Llewellyn was a huge influence on me and I can proudly say that I have had my own LDDs featured in both TRUCK and T&D. To me it was the pinnacle of transport journalism.

Gentlemen,

DeanB , I too have enjoyed reading your postings, thank you. There is a lot of work involved, and having known the late Phill, he would have delighted in you bringing his work to a very large audience !..(but it would have cost you a few “bevvies”!

But just a little point, and one worth making, NMM, (Mark) , has posted some very good stuff in his own right. His Brandt Trucking logs were, (and still are superb in their own right. Contemporary, crisp, and involving the reader. In a word first rate…(.well two words but Im getting on a bit)!!!

If DeanB can find NMM s Ldds then I bet they are as good as Phillips!

Cheerio for now.

newmercman:
I always read the LDD first To me it was the pinnacle of transport journalism.

+1

Saviem:
Gentlemen,

DeanB , I too have enjoyed reading your postings, thank you. There is a lot of work involved, and having known the late Phill, he would have delighted in you bringing his work to a very large audience !..(but it would have cost you a few “bevvies”!

But just a little point, and one worth making, NMM, (Mark) , has posted some very good stuff in his own right. His Brandt Trucking logs were, (and still are superb in their own right. Contemporary, crisp, and involving the reader. In a word first rate…(.well two words but Im getting on a bit)!!!

If DeanB can find NMM s Ldds then I bet they are as good as Phillips!

Cheerio for now.

Reading that justifies the many hours I spent on those Paul Brandt blogs, I am truly humbled to be mentioned in the same breath as my hero, Phil Llewellyn. Thank you very much for the kind words, they mean a lot, especially from someone as knowledgeable and passionate about our beloved industry.

Edited because my tablet thinks it’s cleverer and more articulate than I, in this case it wasn’t!

One from 1989.

One from 1985,click on pages to read.

Part 1.

Part 2.

One from 1988.Click on pages to read.

First ever LDD from Oct 1974. Click on pages to read.

One from 1990. Click on pages to read.

Many thanks Dean just read the Marvo LDD, remember it very well from the original, the sort of stuff that got me into this game! Probably never thought I’d have ended up doing more or less just that tho! Keep em coming. PS I had loads of old Truck and T&D’s until an ex wife had me throw the lot, should have thrown her but another story!

Many, many thanks Dean - these are seriously eating into my day! Really enjoyed all of these; PL’s style is all his own and just as enjoyable in his other work.

I started reading/collecting Truck in 1984 and was gutted that he stopped his LDD’s a year or so after - I even had a letter published on that subject! Other writers posted perfectly good LDD’s, but for me it was all about PL’s prose and turn of phrase. I read and re-read his 84-85 articles so much that I knew some of those you have posted here seemingly word for word :slight_smile:

More power to your elbow sir and please carry on!

Heres one from 1980.Click on pages to read.

One from 1986. Click on pages to read.

Hi Dean,

Thanks for posting Jimmy Nelson’s trip on Lowes, that bought the memories back i can tell you.

Roger.

Just really enjoyed reading the Lowes trip and the Hesketh story.
Thank you.

Seems that a few people are reading these so heres one from 1974 for Atkinson fans.

CLICK ON PAGES TO READ.

Absolutely brilliant DEANB