Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 2)

Hi Kev hope you and yours are all well, why change something that wasn’t broken ? I just don’t get it ! Same as you I clicked on Andy Morrisons comment about this site and hey presto here we all are !
And it used to be so easy ! Or are we just getting older old ■■■■■ ?

Bit of both I think Jim. Saw a few old faces at Steve Johnson’s (seabrook) funeral yesterday. Gerbil

Blast from the past here, Dave Chiver’s ran a boat transport business from Swanwick and had a big heap of permits, he sold out to Anna Banana as we called her an Italian Lady but they kept Dave’s name, we did loads of stone fruit for her and her two sons from Italy and she paid bang on if you did the job right, Buzzer.

nmp

1 Like

Buzzer nmp
97966470_262589641775578_3261550662244106240_n

Hi Buzzer would that be the same Dave Chivers that used to have a 111 Scania on for Eurohaul, I did a two man job with him from Cornwall with a low loader with a huge Euclid on route to Felixstowe but I only did the trip as far as Southampton, really great guy but I’ve never seen him again even doing my little European stint, I’ve asked about him on here years ago but no reply’s

That does ring a bell Jimmer but its a long time ago, The woman with the dosh who bought Dave out was Anna of Ital frutta who bought all his permits and kept the name as she was not a truck person and it was her husband who did that side of it, she was a fruit importer as were her two sons and I did more for them than the mother. Always heavy loads but we used to take 6/8 pallets off in Mack in Southampton fruit market after shipping with C link. As you say Dave was a quiet man he used to park on a bit of waste ground opposite our first house on the main road, room for two trucks mine and his, also he parked in Coal Park lane of Swanwick Lane where he lived in Bye Road, remember he had a D series tractor unit and boat trailer, The first driver for Anna was Lennie Biggs who later worked for Mo Baker and he never spoke a sentence without about six swear words in it EmojiEmojithe things you remember after all these years, cheers JD .

One is Meachers and think the one by Queen Mary is as well, need a better spy glass, Buzzer nmp’s

433945598_7411361152274000_8165012556162858876_n

Did Meachers have AECs?

I dunno, but the sheet looks to be the wrong way around.

That’s to hold him back if he gets going too quick :grin:

1 Like

Meachers 1966 AEC Mercury

:+1:
And the Q Mary left service in Dec 1966, so that all fits.

Just as an aside
The QM was about 81,000 tons and 310m long.
The carrier QE is about 65,000 tons and 285m long.
The new Sun Princess is 177,000 tons and 345m long.

Hi Jim
I didn’t know Dave back in my time driving but I do know his son Mark but lost touch with him about 10 years ago…
At that time his dad was living in France and had a business importing antiques into the uk …. Not sure if he’s still with us …
Hope your keeping well , all the best Baldrick

This is a shot of the M27 between J1 & J2 in the early 70’s, can remember when it was built and I was bobbing about in an Ford Anglia, does’nt time fly and it dont look too busy. Buzzer

Hi Chris (dispatcher) have a look at “European & UK truckers scrapbook memories” there are a few pictures from the past for you, Buzzer.

HI john thanks very good, I don’t like this site but I’m still here
Chris

Loader tractors for Hampshire County Council nmp, Buzzer

The previous incarnation of Truck Net was a fun site to be involved with - interesting, instructive, memory jerking Now, well…
Here’s the latest vehicle to argue with Greatbridge Railway Bridge & come second

One of BKPs from Timsbury

Why do they keep doing this, its not an arch so when you approach it looks low so at least slow down and crawl under if close, every time this happens they have to inspect the bridge for structural damage and sometimes have to close the road to do this, Buzzer