Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

As requested R-Jacko, not much of a pic Im afraid:

MrJake:
Might be the wrong place but I thought I would just post a ‘hello’ from a new member. Have been working my way through the 110 pages on this thread (not there yet!) and being a now ex driver, due to retirement, from Southampton area I thought better to post than to lurk. Am now currently living in Bulgaria so the ability to meet and have a ‘ratchet jaw’ with ex workmates is a bit limited so this is the virtual alternative. :sunglasses:

Hi Mr Jake, Welcome mate, whats the weather like in Bulgaria !! who did you drive for ??How far through the thread have you got ?
Regards Jimski (not retired but thinking about it :unamused: )Got a long ways to go yet !!

gazzer:
As requested R-Jacko, not much of a pic Im afraid:

Hello Gazzer
For me Gazzer that is a priceless photo.Its one of the only photos that we didn’t have of a Bakers lorry.Does anyone know what happened to the Volvo after Baker finished with it?Ive tried to enhance the photo but cant quite see the reg.Thanks again Gazzer.
ps was the VOLVO a F89■■?
Regards Jacko.

Jimski:

MrJake:
Might be the wrong place but I thought I would just post a ‘hello’ from a new member. Have been working my way through the 110 pages on this thread (not there yet!) and being a now ex driver, due to retirement, from Southampton area I thought better to post than to lurk. Am now currently living in Bulgaria so the ability to meet and have a ‘ratchet jaw’ with ex workmates is a bit limited so this is the virtual alternative. :sunglasses:

Hi Mr Jake, Welcome mate, whats the weather like in Bulgaria !! who did you drive for ??How far through the thread have you got ?
Regards Jimski (not retired but thinking about it :unamused: )Got a long ways to go yet !!

Thanks for welcome Jimski, Weather in Bulgaria? Hot in Summer (28-30 C) Cold in Winter (-20 C). Still got a way to go on this thread, only online for a short while a day. Who I drove for? Where to begin? Well I guess I will do it in reverse order, Last job before retireing was Edson Distribution of Totton, because he was happy to let me work part time for my final HGV year, 4days a week = 48hrs, well that’s part time for lorry driving, MAN automatic with brand new replacement in Nov 2008 same model updated. Heard he has recently ceased trading. Eight years before that Hoyers (ADR Tanks) out of Marchwood, covering all of UK plus Northern France. They would not let me reduce my hours in my year before retirement so I left one year early! Will have to work out my other jobs to get them in order, I started HGV in 1965 and long distance in1967 so there is a few years to cast my mind back to. :sunglasses:

R-Jacko: Was it OAA 250P? I cant quite make it out but I am sure it was near enuff the same as the Eurohaul one.

R-Jacko: Yes it was an F89 6x4. I took this foto before I worked for prince’s, just happened to be passing, probably when it was on first service or similar. Pat Scorey knew the driver well.

gazzer:
R-Jacko: Yes it was an F89 6x4. I took this foto before I worked for prince’s, just happened to be passing, probably when it was on first service or similar. Pat Scorey knew the driver well.

Hi Gazzer and Jacko

I do believe that Bakers had a Volvo F88 6X2 as well as the F89 and if I remember correctly the F88 was bought from Eric by Dave Coombes the well known Volvo/Scania fitter repairer and then sold to Bob Cartwright

Hi Pat Scorey and Ennis Stratton came in today, Pat Scorey told us that ‘Harry Black’ who worked for Eric Baker has died being cremated he thinks on the 8th October at Stoneham.

Apparently Harry was well known for being able to Scotland and back in one hit!

I alo heard today that Bob Cartwrights dad also Bob has died.

Regards the F89 Pat said Phil Dibden drove it but will ask Mick Winterbourne at the weekend for more info

The Gringo:
I thinkI had better introduce myself as I had been on here before but lost the link .
My name is Tony Barber now living in Mexico near Merida.
My resume for companies is as follows (If I can remember it all//lol)
Not Necessarily in the right order :smiley:

S.L.Paddicks agencies (Hedge End)(Transits & D series delivering AC Delco filters around the UK)
Meachers Tpt (Soton)
Hills of Botley (Got my class one) (Heavy and general)
Howells and Reavells (Soton depot) (International)
Hardin Bros (Avonmouth) (Ships stores)
PBC Tpt (Scholing) (International)
BFC Tpt (Eastleigh) (Containers and general)
SVL Tpt (Eastleigh) (International)
Contract work various companies.
Kingswood (International)
Webbs country foods (Winchester) (Chicken slaughter house)
Agencies (Soton)
Tesco (Milton Keynes)
Now I do a occasional driving for a Mexican company delivering drinking water to Canxcun in doubles mainly with a Kenmex T660 double stick.

Hi Gringo

Pat Scorey remembers a Tom Barber on for PBC who changed his name for various reasons to Tony■■?

Is that you?

Bakers F89 (as above) was OAA 250P, I think that can be just about made out from the foto.

Hi Pat sorry mate didnt make the tea party again today !! was a busy day ! :laughing:
I remember Mick Winterbourne working on that 88/89 in Bakers wharf :smiley: Jimski

Hi Pat, sad news about Bobs Dad, I remember him and his Transit flatbed !! dear old fella !! R Jimski.

Hi All Really sorry to hear we have lost more great stalwarts of the area.
The Bakers F89 was a brother to Eurohauls one, for many years after Bakes had finished Haulage it stood in a shed by S&S Diesels at Waltham Chase but I dont know what happened to it after that. Wish I did as it had hardly any rust in it. It also had a Ballast Box for it so it could do towing duties.
Bye Rich

oaa 249p was eurohauls oaa 250p was bakers, there were only 3 f89 320 6x4s in the country then sunters had the other one. i ended up cutting the axles out of 249p, and making it a normal unit. never finished it but it would have kicked up some smoke if it did make it back on the road. we had an f88 6x4 oow —m wianright will remember the reg. tipped on its side outside lorrians lorry park with 45-28 and a crane on its back, that ended it . we wedged it under a heavy load in the yard, princes took it in part ex for nick the greeks f10" ncg and the french f12 6x2 lift axle we had. princes didnt find it funy when the 88 turned up solo leaning over to one side in there yard. they woulnt let colenso have any more volvos expecally when they found out we registerd the f12 6x2 to french plates monkey spanner should remember that, they stopped us buying parts as well we had to pay cash for a while. colenso with cash"“” nig

Thank you all for the info on the F89.
I guess the Volvo must have been one of the last lorries Eric Baker brought.Dad remembers seeing F89 but he had already left Bakers before he brought it.My Grandad left Bakers in 76/77 i guess around the time it was registerd.
Sorry to hear about the couple of older hands.When i see Dad i will ask him if he remembers Harry Black.
Regards Jacko.

R-JACKO:
Thank you all for the info on the F89.
I guess the Volvo must have been one of the last lorries Eric Baker brought.Dad remembers seeing F89 but he had already left Bakers before he brought it.My Grandad left Bakers in 75/76 i guess around the time it was registerd.
Sorry to hear about the couple of older hands.When i see Dad i will ask him if he remembers Harry Black.
Regards Jacko.

Richie,

I’ve just found a pic of my truck when I was on Macintyre Scott, I had a 95 first and then a new XF just before I left. For those who know him as I’ve seen him mentioned I worked with Martin Greenwood (ex Kingswood) while on macscott. I’ll try and post the pic on here so wait and see. Not very impressive when you look at the past page or two but they are a Southampton company so it all counts I hope.

Mike

stuart james:
oaa 249p was eurohauls oaa 250p was bakers, there were only 3 f89 320 6x4s in the country then Sunters had the other one. i ended up cutting the axles out of 249p, and making it a normal unit. never finished it but it would have kicked up some smoke if it did make it back on the road. we had an f88 6x4 oow —m wianright will remember the reg. tipped on its side outside lorrians lorry park with 45-28 and a crane on its back, that ended it . we wedged it under a heavy load in the yard, princes took it in part ex for nick the greeks f10" ncg and the french f12 6x2 lift axle we had. princes didnt find it funy when the 88 turned up solo leaning over to one side in there yard. they woulnt let colenso have any more volvos expecally when they found out we registerd the f12 6x2 to french plates monkey spanner should remember that, they stopped us buying parts as well we had to pay cash for a while. colenso with cash"“” nig

Would this be the Sunters F89 coming off a Normandy Ferry in Southampton?

May of posted this twice, but then again I may not of even done it once?

mikey1964:

Failed, how do I make a file (picture)smaller? Anyone?

Mike

mikey1964:

mikey1964:

Failed, how do I make a file (picture)smaller? Anyone?

Mike

Hello Mike
I use photobucket to post my pics it took me a few attempts at it.There is a new way of doing it.At the main title there is a post on how to do it good luck :laughing: