Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Thats a shame that Pitter’s are packing up. Started in 1915 with a pony.

pitter tpt br1.jpg

Watching a video on U Tube and many local hauliers featured inc. Poole (Cliff Luxton/Axminster and others).

Here we have Monty and George Thorne of Robert Armstong…and a subsequent photo of RHO754P in the hands of another.

More spurious photos from the video.

Gazzer back in the early 80’s used to run with Mr Bessant on Hocfun he was from Poole, looks like a Rentco box which probably either had ISR rubber in it for Mantova or Tampax for Prato jon these were regular loads for Colin Wilk’s, if Prato we reload out of Albini etc for Wickford. Remember I had a Scania then and every time you overtook Mr B he would take that Transcon back to Hendy’s and get them to give the ■■■■■■■ motor a tweek, he bought it brand new out of the box and was a big cab back in the day, he had a kitchen size fridge mounted on the chassis and one day in Bergamo he said would you like a coke, well it were red hot outside and it was that cold it stuck to me hand always remember that. Buzzer

Gazzer - the Cabmont DAF - that’s Stuart Mitchell aka Baldrick. Can you please share the link to the U-tube video please?

The video I watched was Vol26.
This is the link for Vol 25: youtube.com/watch?v=B4PbGmDh3Hg
This contains trawled photos (including some of mine!) of PR Candy’s TM (Im sure he had a 430 DD version), Matsolex subby (not Mr. Matthews),
Partrans, Barbours and Im sure John Glance (his motor maybe not him).
You’ll have to search You Tube for the other volumes.

“Uncle” Arthur and Bob Edwards did a deal over permits which I inherited. "Uncle Arthur got his permits back once mine grew! Trading in some for an EEC book made the job much easier once we started for Chingfords, Mark loved us, could send us anywhere at double speed!
Because I used the blue book correctly, I got more!

gazzer:
“Uncle” Arthur and Bob Edwards did a deal over permits which I inherited. "Uncle Arthur got his permits back once mine grew! Trading in some for an EEC book made the job much easier once we started for Chingfords, Mark loved us, could send us anywhere at double speed!
Because I used the blue book correctly, I got more!

Gazzer the first blue book I bought for 10K but accumulated lots more over the years, once got issued with a pink book ECMT but you had to use that proper and I lost that in the end but also bought ITI & French permits with Pat Duffy when someone packed up in Shropshire, thats when I bought two ex Watt’s of Carlisle 141’s of Malcomb Harrison, pat was a bad influence :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Buzzer

By the way Gazzer has Billy Liar got his get out of jail card yet ?

Posted elsewhere

Horry you need you tube no 26, Doog

Buzzer: Billy Liar was always good to us.
Not sure how his “TAG” is working these days!

Never seen an ISR liveried vehicle before, it’s not locally registered.

I think the Solent Carter is Gordie Nolton with his Berilet, the B and G Daf was run by Gary Booth also a photo of Kelvin Holloway on the beach in Portugal.

gazzer:
Never seen an ISR liveried vehicle before, it’s not locally registered.

Neither have I Gazzer, and me and Stan Mathews RIP were in and out of there twice a day, Buzzer

gazzer:
More spurious photos from the video.

the guy with the jearide volvo also had a scania 142/112 green in colour wih a jungle scene painted on it he also had a TK Bedford with a cowboy scene painted on it and a GMC Astro with a space ship scene painted on it same as the one Jimski drove and i think he was from the poole area and might have been a paddy he did containers for united states lines back in the 80s regards Todd

Buzzer

339143089_3475877989348954_8356767016183066518_n.jpg

Buzzer

9C34A039-01D5-47AA-B784-481DCE0D777B.jpeg

Barbour TCF.PNG

roolechat:

I wonder who that is?
I believe Kevin started for Barbour before the ro-ro days.
Barbour may not have Soton based, but they were frequent travelers on the South coast ferries, and inevitably met up on the Monday with us who were on the same boats. I wasnt driving when that particular photo was taken though.

Fished from FB, photographer unknown.