Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Dont know if this advert rings a bell with anyone from 1971.

DEANB:
Dont know if this advert rings a bell with an

Seem to recall they had yards in Totton and Colden Common nr Winchester and dealt in ex WD vehicles
Best regards Partsman

Hants reg (Maggie d)

img056.jpg

Couple pictures for you all, expect Gazzer will know who’s Volvo that was, cheers Buzzer

Nice photo robthedog well spotted here she is when I had her, John,this pic taken on a Saturday morning in Lorraines, whilst we were waiting for young Horrie to get off the wash !!
Regards
Richard

Scan 2020-1-10 17.30.49.jpg

robthedog:
Hants reg (Maggie d)

Ex ECT Rycroft and now owned by someone in Ringwood to haul his vintage boats about.

Salue et bonne annee nouveau Robert76!

I cant read the reg. too well Buzzer but it looks like XCG 600R, in which case it was Mssr Scattercash aka Ian Hellawell.

Partsman:

DEANB:
Dont know if this advert rings a bell with an

Seem to recall they had yards in Totton and Colden Common nr Winchester and dealt in ex WD vehicles
Best regards Partsman

Thanks for the info “Partsman” . That advert appeared in a Bedford Transport magazine and i have never seen another advert
of theirs anywhere else. :wink:

Heres a bit about the F89 chaps.

Click on page twice to read.

Merci beaucoup toi aussi photos souvenirs

F88 eurohaul

Mary Hopkins moment captured right there, Mo Baker loved his Transcons what a sweet line up, Buzzer

cfat

L5628p.JPG

robthedog:
cfat

Just noticed the CSG Foden behind, they have been big Leyland and Daf users for a long while.

pete smith:

robthedog:
cfat

Just noticed the CSG Foden behind, they have been big Leyland and Daf users for a long while.

Got Scania’s now Pete, cheers Buzzer

Buzzer:

pete smith:

robthedog:
cfat

Got Scania’s now Pete, cheers Buzzer

Hi Buzzer,
Have not been out and about lately mate, been 6 years since I used to tip at CSG landfill at Pound Bottom near Fordingbridge. A local skip operator to me has gone from Daf’s to Scania as well, Cheer’s Pete

Franglais:

HRS:

Franglais:
I seem to remember SFM having a yard by Cobden Bridge at one time? They would have left in early '70’s? Blocks of flats there now.

Morning “Franglais”, I remember visiting them one day to find everything in that huge shed had been taken outside and stacked.
Walking around inside I was shown the whole floor was bowed in leaving a 12 inch gap with just the huge re-bar holding it up.
It turned out to be a stream used many years ago when it was a boat building slip way had washed all the gravel away under the concrete, took a very brave man in the bucket of a cherry picker and a torch to release it, think that is why they moved. Harvey

Dyer’s Boat Yard? Dyer’s still have the land on the opposite bank, but was that their yard too? Or someone else?

Sorry mate, bit late getting back to you.
Yes, Dyer’s was opposite by the skew bridge, now private homes.
They were big in used parts for just about anything that floated. not sure if they owned the old slipway opposite.
I learned to sail there at St Denys amateur rowing and sailing club, happy days, cheers. Harvey

HRS:

Franglais:

HRS:

Franglais:
I seem to remember SFM having a yard by Cobden Bridge at one time? They would have left in early '70’s? Blocks of flats there now.

Morning “Franglais”, I remember visiting them one day to find everything in that huge shed had been taken outside and stacked.
Walking around inside I was shown the whole floor was bowed in leaving a 12 inch gap with just the huge re-bar holding it up.
It turned out to be a stream used many years ago when it was a boat building slip way had washed all the gravel away under the concrete, took a very brave man in the bucket of a cherry picker and a torch to release it, think that is why they moved. Harvey

Dyer’s Boat Yard? Dyer’s still have the land on the opposite bank, but was that their yard too? Or someone else?

Sorry mate, bit late getting back to you.
Yes, Dyer’s was opposite by the skew bridge, now private homes.
They were big in used parts for just about anything that floated. not sure if they owned the old slipway opposite.
I learned to sail there at St Denys amateur rowing and sailing club, happy days, cheers. Harvey

I’m sure you’re too young to have seen it, but the old photos showing Cobden Park as a mud flat are quite impressive.
Spent some Sundays there as a wee lad riding on the scale steam trains.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Here’s a Southampton motor Matsolex plus one of Ken Chants RIP Foden that he bought brand new for SCAC traction work and I bought his old F88 of him with Granning lift axle, it was immaculate, Cheers Buzzer.

74615468_144066696961207_6823876174830108672_n.jpg

Morning “Franglais”,
I’m sure you’re too young to have seen it, but the old photos showing Cobden Park as a mud flat are quite impressive.
Spent some Sundays there as a wee lad riding on the scale steam trains.

You are quite right, and kind, I don’t remember it as mud flats.
In my early days it was a dump for huge concrete blocks that were part of the WW2 defences in Southampton and later used to edge the waterside.
It was a nice place to take a young lady for a walk along to Woodmill and then, if you still had the energy, up further to the White Swan. Harvey