Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

MaggieD:

DEANB:
Renault dealer.

Remember this Richard. :smiley:

Click on pages twice to read.

Hi Dean,

Thanks for the article, that was over 30 years ago,I think I was 14 years old !! :unamused: :smiley: :smiley:

Kind regards
Richard

Richard, That car you are sat in…is it a little 2 door Fiat with a rag top ■■
Regarding you being 14 years old :open_mouth: …Half the lies you tell are not true :wink:
Best Regards, Ray.

DEANB:
Bakers article. Awful print quality.

Click on pages twice.

Baker's from Russia.jpg

DEANB:
Bakers article. Awful print quality.

Click on pages twice.

Bakers germany.jpg

They were quite a big firm (for those days). Most of their work was a night trunk from Soton to Manchester and back the next night. They were part of the Tarnsport Development Group (TDG) and, as such, had access to loads of continental work. When I started on Eurohaul, around '67, we subbed a lot off them.

Then thry started sending a handful of their own motors over. Mainly Italy. Very good job. Strictly legal and very well paid.

One of their drivers told me that they were starting a new job running lager from somewhere in Germany back to any one of three breweries in the UK. Then empties back the next week and lager to the UK.

I knew the TM (Dave something). He gave me the job and I spent a couple of weeks in the yard, waiting for my brand new Scania to arrive.

Oh dear. Woe was me. Because they were part of the TDG, they had to buy an ERF for the job form another TDG memmber who was an ERF dealer in Bristol.

I went down and got the thing and drove it back. Christ! It had a 240 Gardner and needed diver’s boots to keep the throttle down.

No way. Jacked, when I got back to Soton.

Steve

Ray Smyth:

MaggieD:

DEANB:
Renault dealer.

Remember this Richard. :smiley:

Click on pages twice to read.

Hi Dean,

Thanks for the article, that was over 30 years ago,I think I was 14 years old !! :unamused: :smiley: :smiley:

Kind regards
Richard

Richard, That car you are sat in…is it a little 2 door Fiat with a rag top ■■
Regarding you being 14 years old :open_mouth: …Half the lies you tell are not true :wink:
Best Regards, Ray.

Hi Ray,

HaHa,hope you are well, yes you are correct a little FIAT Topolino soft top 1952 vintage.

Regards
Richard

IN reply to the last thread,the regular driver whos name I,ve forgotton but who came from Corfe Castle. He loved his Wide Steel European ERF.Clutch with a return spring about 6 inches across. The beer run was done by two trucks.One was Nick Procter From Manchester,and the other by Bob Gerrard from Farnham.Nick always did Manchester or Bakers(Transhield) at Faversham.He would drop his trailer there and bounce home returning on Sunday to pick it up,it having been tipped an reloaded.The other one would tip at Courages Bristol and reload empty kegs at Avonmouth. The job was from Lowenbrau in munich.I was one of the second wave of drivers.Most of the first lot having been sacked for fiddling the Tankerville Bridge.One of the old drivers(Perce Lawty) had purchased a wad of blank tickets and a date stamper.A good bargain! When I have a little more time I will relate the saga of my sacking from Jamesons.

Bloody file resrtictions!
A bit at a time, we were there.
Your official Bash photographer!

20190825_143806_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Blimey. Phil Garratt has not aged one bit. He has retired now last with DFDS. What a cracking bloke to deal with also.

I was told by Adrian and Evelyn that the day I passed my test I would have to have an 8 wheeler. I did not manage it all. My former partner had his suprise retirement party there also. July 2000. Does anyone remember Jimmy Alfords and a driver called Elvis.?Liz

Off a French web site…my old friend Kenny Roberts brother use to drive for them, (can’t remember his first name) a good company to work for I believe

Sparshatts advert from 1957.

Click on page twice.

DEANB:

Click on page twice.

Dean one of the Sparshatt’s (Mike) lives just round the corner from me in Bursledon, Buzzer.

Buzzer:

DEANB:

Click on page twice.

Dean one of the Sparshatt’s (Mike) lives just round the corner from me in Bursledon, Buzzer.

Are they still going Buzzer ? Heres another advert from 1964 where they had opened a few more depots. :wink:

Old time Southampton driver at his 89th birthday celebrations

Morning all, been very quiet on here lately ,the young man in the photo does he come from Southampton or is he more a Wiltshire man

Yea more a Swindon area man

Another question then just to confirm my suspicions doe’s he have a slightly younger but not as handsome brother. :sunglasses:

Cant stand the suspense Kev. who you thinking ?

Right again !!!

And would the less handsome of the brother’s have worked for BKG at some point as well as a few other’s :sunglasses: