Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Hi all, when i worked for Roy mascato in petersfield we used to load those J&J trailers that the pitter tractor has got with bananas from portsmouth up to Huddersfield the go to J&J in gargrave swap trailers and come back down. Strange trailer as they had no chassis they go a bit of a sag on. good old days (mary hopkins again) :laughing:

gerbil sb152:
Hi all, when i worked for Roy mascato in petersfield we used to load those J&J trailers that the pitter tractor has got with bananas from portsmouth up to Huddersfield the go to J&J in gargrave swap trailers and come back down. Strange trailer as they had no chassis they go a bit of a sag on. good old days (mary hopkins again) :laughing:

Hi Kevin,

That photo is one of mine taken in a lay by on the Cirencester to Cheltenham road I was en route to Oldham with a load of TV’s from Ferguson in Gosport and then as you say over to Gargrave and change trailers and back to Portsmouth. Had one sag really badly one night on the way back from Cussons Manchester with a load of baby soap,it was so bad the legs were dragging on the road John Mynett had to bring another trailer out and we transhipped it on the side of the A34 !!

Hope you and Jan are ok

Regards
Richard

Richard I often wondered how you had a child like complexion to your face and looked so young now I know, I think you borrowed a few bars of that baby soap, JD.

Hi all, yes Richard we are both fine thanks. I did not know you had trucks painted in pitters it must have been well before my time as i am still only a boy. Good old days though. Hope you are all OK down Wellow way. :stuck_out_tongue:

Robert Armstrong ex driver based in Southampton from 1973 until emigrating to Aus in 1979

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dallan:
Robert Armstrong ex driver based in Southampton from 1973 until emigrating to Aus in 1979

Good morning Kevin,
“Roy Mascato” now there is a name from my past, sold him a little F86 and took his old unit back, never seen a trade in with so many makes of Tyre with shinny threads, ha!! very nice chap though, Q: do you know how he is ?
Phoned him one day and a very young voice answered the phone so I said, can I talk to your daddy please, no but my husband is here, when I met her we had a good chuckle, you would understand Kevin.
Cheers, Harvey

HRS:
Good morning Kevin,
“Roy Mascato” now there is a name from my past, sold him a little F86 and took his old unit back, never seen a trade in with so many makes of Tyre with shinny threads, ha!! very nice chap though, Q: do you know how he is ?
Phoned him one day and a very young voice answered the phone so I said, can I talk to your daddy please, no but my husband is here, when I met her we had a good chuckle, you would understand Kevin.
Cheers, Harvey

Hi Harvey,

Was it UHO 998 H a BMC Mastiff you took in ? Pete Clue who used to drive for him said he’d been seen in a pub in Petersfield still going strong,but that was a couple of years ago now,and I guess the lady you spoke to was Linda.
He also had an AEC Marshall ex Madgwicks of Haslemere,and a Marathon which I think Kevin drove at some stage.

Regards
Richard

MaggieD:

HRS:
Good morning Kevin,
Cheers, Harvey

Hi Harvey,

Was it UHO 998 H a BMC Mastiff you took in ? Pete Clue who used to drive for him said he’d been seen in a pub in Petersfield still going strong,but that was a couple of years ago now,and I guess the lady you spoke to was Linda.
He also had an AEC Marshall ex Madgwicks of Haslemere,and a Marathon which I think Kevin drove at some stage.

Regards
Richard

Hi Richard,
Would not have been the Mastiff, what was UHO ■■
Harvey

Dallan:

F89

Dallan:

Dallan:

Hi Dallan,
Great pic of the your F89, like a lot of posts on this site it brings back happy memories, only one at Princes who could put that rig back into the workshop besides you and I was definatly not the one, but I did like a wee drop of the moonshine at Christmas. trust you are well ? Harvey

Hi all yes you are right i drove for Roy twice in fact both times i had the Marthon first time the F86 was quite new and a guy called Eric drove it when i went back for the second time Les ( aka grubby) was there. Learnt a lot from Roy he was a good man to work for hard but fair, and yes the first time you meet linda was a bit off a surprise. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Gazzer,

Dropped in to see you at “El Ceporro” in Colmenar yesterday on the way back from Tangiers hoping to buy you a belated birthday drink,the grande cappo said manana,so guess you were still celebrating in Madrid ?
He made me pay your outstanding tab,so meet up with you when you are over.

Regards
Richard

Blow me Rich…fancy making it to my dishevelled neck of the woods! Pepe said to me " Did you speak to your friend, with the photo?" I was a bit confused (just like the hells angel from Alton). We had a guy taking photos at the birthday bash and thought he had popped into town.
We went to Madrid and then to Cordoba for the week, getting back Friday afternoon.
You are one of a distinguished few, you and Angie. John Miles, Rocky Cherrett and GazIOW, not counting TranIHT!
Sorry to have missed you.
Did he offer you Charlie’s DKV card that was over the counter? He sent it to me on the off chance he could get a cheap Paddy Air flight from Bournemouth!
PS: At 1€ a glass of wine in town I was glad to get back after Madrid @ 4€ a glass!!!

gazzer:
Blow me Rich…fancy making it to my dishevelled neck of the woods! Pepe said to me " Did you speak to your friend, with the photo?" I was a bit confused (just like the hells angel from Alton). We had a guy taking photos at the birthday bash and thought he had popped into town.
We went to Madrid and then to Cordoba for the week, getting back Friday afternoon.
You are one of a distinguished few, you and Angie. John Miles, Rocky Cherrett and GazIOW, not counting TranIHT!
Did he offer you Charlie’s DKV card that was over the counter? He sent it to me on the off chance he could get a cheap Paddy Air flight from Bournemouth!
PS: At 1€ a glass of wine in town I was glad to get back after Madrid @ 4€ a glass!!!

Gazzer. I’ve had that card for 30 years.Guard it with your life.Bring it with you

when you return and there might be a little something in your palm…

Glad you enjoyed your break. Best wishes Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

gazzer:

Hi Gary,

Pepe looked after us really well,while we were having a few drinks in the sun his wife brought out some prawns and nibbles and you are right about his prices very cheap, about 80percent cheaper than Charlie charges me when I visit him at home,and he puts it on my DKV card !! and has a Plus !

Regards
Richard

I forgot to mention Pepe is one of us: He’s a retired Concrete Pump Truck driver. Always asks how I got on in the UK.

Got it Charlie but can I hang on to it for my car travel up before harvest? Would save me a few quid and I could use it on ALL the motorways I avoid! Make a nice change.

Had I got your phone call Rich we could have met up in Madrid!

Hi all, well it’s a big day for me and her indoors we have both officially retired (early i would like to add before you all start) we have been planning it for a while but have got here at last. :smiley:

gerbil sb152:
Hi all, well it’s a big day for me and her indoors we have both officially retired (early i would like to add before you all start) we have been planning it for a while but have got here at last. :smiley:

Congratulations Kevin.Now you can start doing some serious camping. Just at the right time of year eh?

I’ve just bought another camper van. As soon as Rose has finished her chemotherapy next week,we will be shuffling

of to foreign parts.Maybe as far as Norfolk. It’s a long way I know but I’ve got a satnav. Enjoy your retirement mate.

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Congratulations gerbil enjoy your retirement now you are a senior member of trucknet
Regards gazzap