Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Just something to move back up the page

Hello Richard…
Do you or anyone else on here recall a fella called Terry Lane… Once involved with Vincent Cottel I gather . Roy Maclean mentioned him in an email recently.
Also , who was the bloke from Skillbeech who asked to be remembered to Roy??

Hope all is good with you and Angie…
Best wishes.
Balders.

brown700:

charlie one:
Who can remember the following hauliers. Eric Baker. Sea Route Ferry.R and A Transport. Jim Squibb. Southern Transport and Shipping(STS). Curtiss and Phillips.Robert Armstrong. Transport. Jameson Europa. to name but a few.If there is anyone out there still alive who had anything to do with these companies,you must be as old as me! IWorked for quite a few of these over the years.Cracking times.

I worked for eric baker in 1975 drove a erf non sleeper on the Italian run before going on to heavy haulage

hi dave moxey here great memories still alive

roolechat:
[aWhilstttachment=0]eurohaul.jpg[/attachment]

rod redgrave and dave moxey drove for eurohaul 1967 68 69 what a life

Baldrick1953:
Hello Richard…
Do you or anyone else on here recall a fella called Terry Lane… Once involved with Vincent Cottel I gather . Roy Maclean mentioned him in an email recently.

Best wishes.
Balders.

Hi Stu,
Hope you and Sue are well,and the, house .renovation is coming along,planning to come and see you in the spring.

Terry Lane,you are quite right worked for Vincent Cottell,Angie and I had 7 trucks on for them running all over Europe,they were part of the NFC good work, then they came under the Pickfords division of NFC for a while and then Roadferry who’s main work was Irish traffic,this did not last long as it was decided no one really could be bothered with a company “Down South” so they closed the Southampton office in Terminus Terrace and as part of Mr Lanes severance deal let him take on the goodwill of the Company.He went along to Steve and Graham Roberts of F H Roberts in Southampton and they started up Roberts International and we carried on doing the work for them,however this did not last very long and they closed the company owing Angie and myself £162,000 !!! it took a lot of persuading Angie’s Italian relations from coming over and sorting out a few things,something they still want to do some 20 years later !!
Alan White from Skillbeech wanted to be remembered to Roy Maclean, if you can let me have Roy’s contact details I’ll get in touch and buy him lunch.

Keep taking the tablets
Regards
Richard

Rod Remould:

roolechat:
[aWhilstttachment=0]eurohaul.jpg[/attachment]

rod redgrave and dave moxey drove for eurohaul 1967 68 69 what a life

Hi Dave

“Happy Birthday”

Did Rod go on to work at Alberti Santi running their Rail/Road division in the uk ?

Regards
Richard

Hi Rich… All good here. Will pm you laters… :slight_smile: :sunglasses:

MaggieD:
Did Rod go on to work at Alberti Santi running their Rail/Road division in the uk ?

Regards
Richard

Hi Richard, wasn’t that was Rod Shepherd that worked for Alberti ■■

mappo:

MaggieD:

Regards
Richard

That was Tim Shepherd.The guy you were thinking about was Rod DeDrain. Who went on

To found Dyno Rod I’m not sure if my brain is fully engaged. Must go.I have my dementia

Class in two or three days.I think.

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

mappo:

MaggieD:

Regards
Richard

Hi Tone,

You are right, like Charlie I’ve got my Rods mixed up,but at least I’m not round the bend like him !!

Regards
Richard

My Mum and Dads business, Harline, sold to Renwick Freight Group, 1987

Blimey George That’s thirty years ago.Time passed away quick.

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

When you were 19 Charlie…

I attach a pic… Not a Southampton outfit obviously , but a nice old '89 .
Getting ready to Leave Port Grimaud and head for Le Havre.
Did quite a few trips for KB around 1980. Not sure he’s still around?
A man of VERY few words. I once double manned with him to Marseille. I think he spoke 3 times in the whole trip… :open_mouth:

image.jpeg

My old Transcon on route for Lisbon.
Heavy old fridge with Petter engine in tow.
Think the dabbling in reefer work didn’t last long! Loaded Strawberries from Huelva and had a pleasant weekend with " Gentleman " John Nicholls R.I.P.

The fella looning about in the cab was a young bloke from the office… As I recall he learnt a few things about " Clubs " on that trip. :laughing:

Balders.
What a wonderful way with words you have

Some good pictures there. Hope you’re well and enjoying

The clement weather. I have been invited to come over with Richard

and Angie.Also Mappo and Jimski want to come. Hope that is OK with

you? Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

MaggieD:

Baldrick1953:
Hello Richard…

Best wishes.
Balders.

Hi Stu,
Hope you and Sue are well,and the, house .renovation is coming along,planning to come and see you in the spring.

Terry Lane,you are quite right worked for Vincent Cottell,Angie and I had 7 trucks on for them running all over Europe,they were part of the NFC good work, then they came under the Pickfords division of NFC for a while and then Roadferry who’s main work was Irish traffic,this did not last long as it was decided no one really could be bothered with a company “Down South” so they closed the Southampton office in Terminus Terrace and as part of Mr Lanes severance deal let him take on the goodwill of the Company.He went along to Steve and Graham Roberts of F H Roberts in Southampton and they started up Roberts International and we carried on doing the work for them,however this did not last very long and they closed the company owing Angie and myself £162,000 !!! it took a lot of persuading Angie’s Italian relations from coming over and sorting out a few things,something they still want to do some 20 years later !!
Alan White from Skillbeech wanted to be remembered to Roy Maclean, if you can let me have Roy’s contact details I’ll get in touch and buy him lunch.

Keep taking the tablets
Regards
Richard

I think Terry Lane went on to be involved with PSL in Portsmouth, and then took a job in London as shipping manager for a firm I cannot recall the name of. I’ve no idea where he is now.
Regards RG

BondiTram:
BFC was Bowden Freight wasn’t it?
Bought up lots of firms round the country including J & H at Nottingham hauling for Plasterboard out of East Leake & Gotham.

Salut, David.

PS Or was that BFI? :confused:

BFC was Barney, Compton & Flowers, all from Poole area but with a Southampton Office
Cheers

Buzzer:
Went to school at Bartley with Barry Squibb he was a year younger than me, also the old man, both were into auto cross and Barry was very good at it with Jim fettling the motors all the time. Remember he used to change all the shells in an F88 every year as precaution against any thing going wrong, also did engine oil changes more than regular and asked him why, he replied oil is a lot cheaper than rebuilding an engine.
Kenny Batten’s name I also remember think he lived in Nomansland near Landford, when I was riding me bike near there parked up was an old round cabbed AEC in a layby and he drove that for Jim, this was early 60’s . They had a workshop at Bartley next to an old sawmill and when at school used to often see his trailers parked on the main road to Totton where they straightened out the road near the old radio mast and also the café there. Jim was into International well early, they also had a yard at one time on Hursley road, in the old Landrover place owned by Ken Piper, then also in Eastleigh they had a couple of adjoining units, Mappo will remember that. Norma was in the office think she was a tad older than Barry and there was another woman her name escapes me always had a ■■■ on the go think she did accounts someone will remember her name. Never thought when at school seeing those trailers I would end up doing the same job a few years later.

On another note does any one remember Terry Winter From Fritham, he had a 4 wheeled AEC flat sleeper cab with a box body that fitted on it, used to do antiques to Italy, later he bought a brand new F88 from Princes, colour was light blue. When no international the four wheeler had its box lifted and they did mining chock’s to the coal fields loading around the New Forest, that’s when we still had coal mines. Buzzer.

Barry Squiubb Rallycross Xtrac in 1992

Buzzer:
Went to school at Bartley with Barry Squibb he was a year younger than me, also the old man, both were into auto cross and Barry was very good at it with Jim fettling the motors all the time. Remember he used to change all the shells in an F88 every year as precaution against any thing going wrong, also did engine oil changes more than regular and asked him why, he replied oil is a lot cheaper than rebuilding an engine.
Kenny Batten’s name I also remember think he lived in Nomansland near Landford, when I was riding me bike near there parked up was an old round cabbed AEC in a layby and he drove that for Jim, this was early 60’s . They had a workshop at Bartley next to an old sawmill and when at school used to often see his trailers parked on the main road to Totton where they straightened out the road near the old radio mast and also the café there. Jim was into International well early, they also had a yard at one time on Hursley road, in the old Landrover place owned by Ken Piper, then also in Eastleigh they had a couple of adjoining units, Mappo will remember that. Norma was in the office think she was a tad older than Barry and there was another woman her name escapes me always had a ■■■ on the go think she did accounts someone will remember her name. Never thought when at school seeing those trailers I would end up doing the same job a few years later.

On another note does any one remember Terry Winter From Fritham, he had a 4 wheeled AEC flat sleeper cab with a box body that fitted on it, used to do antiques to Italy, later he bought a brand new F88 from Princes, colour was light blue. When no international the four wheeler had its box lifted and they did mining chock’s to the coal fields loading around the New Forest, that’s when we still had coal mines. Buzzer.

Jim and Barry used to race Rallycross in the early 80s. Here is a picture of both from those days, Barry 161, and reversed the magnetic plate for Jim 191. I used to pay for some tyres as R&G Maritime Agencies Ltd as we did their Customs Clearances back in the day, and you can just make out our name on Barry’s car, on the side under rear window. Barry went on to do European Rallycross at a high lveel, and now races at Castle Coombe in a Mitsibushi Evo and hold the lap record their I think, and has a grage in Exeter.

charlie one:
Balders.
What a wonderful way with words you have

Some good pictures there. Hope you’re well and enjoying

The clement weather. I have been invited to come over with Richard

and Angie.Also Mappo and Jimski want to come. Hope that is OK with

you? Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

No problem Charlie.

You’ll be fine in with Dylan the Donkey… :laughing: