London deliveries - are they joking?

weeto:

F-reds:
There are signs it is a usual weight restriction sign with the timed exemptions underneath

Not always.

Correct, plenty of drivers have been caught out on roads they thought were OK, until they got a 130 quid FPN through the door.

weeto:
To add, it is your employers responsibility and not the drivers, to plan the routes to delivery/collection points whilst the ban is in operation, according to the powers that be, which is the reason why they also get hit with a fine.

Incorrect, both the operator and the driver get a fine, ultimately it is the drivers responsibility, ignorance of the restrictions is sadly no defence.

wheelnutt:

weeto:
To add, it is your employers responsibility and not the drivers, to plan the routes to delivery/collection points whilst the ban is in operation, according to the powers that be, which is the reason why they also get hit with a fine.

Incorrect, both the operator and the driver get a fine, ultimately it is the drivers responsibility, ignorance of the restrictions is sadly no defence.

I didn’t dispute both getting done, and I have read that it’s the employers responsibility to plan routes for the driver.
I suppose on appeal the operator could get off if he could prove that he instructed the driver correctly and he decided to ignore the route given.

wheelnutt:

chris:

wheelnutt:
And no, there are no signs

Really, we must be using “the force” then like ob1. :smiley:

Upper Richmon Rd is a case in point, no signs on the routes leading of it, and none are approved, so you would be scuppered if you did not consult your chart, which you can obtain from lorry control for £9.99, beforehand. Same problem with Gunnersbury and Kew Rd.

The point is though, why should drivers who aren’t from London have to shell out £9.99 of their own money to avoid being fined for restricted roads that aren’t clearly marked and with which they are completely unfamiliar? Do we just stop the truck in a middle of a junction whilst we try to figure out where we are in relation to restricted routes, or reverse along busy main roads to avoid any possibility of getting a fine if we make a wrong turn. Personally I’d rather gridlock the entire area before I would risk such a ridiculously high fine.

LIBERTY_GUY:

wheelnutt:

chris:

wheelnutt:

Upper Richmon Rd is a case in point, no signs on the routes leading of it, and none are approved, so you would be scuppered if you did not consult your chart, which you can obtain from lorry control for £9.99, beforehand. Same problem with Gunnersbury and Kew Rd.

The point is though, why should drivers who aren’t from London have to shell out £9.99 of their own money to avoid being fined for restricted roads that aren’t clearly marked and with which they are completely unfamiliar? Do we just stop the truck in a middle of a junction whilst we try to figure out where we are in relation to restricted routes, or reverse along busy main roads to avoid any possibility of getting a fine if we make a wrong turn. Personally I’d rather gridlock the entire area before I would risk such a ridiculously high fine.

You had better not start driving a decker then, imagine having to plan your route around low bridges, come to think of it better drive somehing under 8 ft, that way you don’t have to stop traffic and gridlock the area while you find your way around a bridge.

Go get a job on a milkfloat, that way you don’t have to worry about speed limits, weight and height restrictions… :wink:

wheelnutt:

chris:

wheelnutt:

Major routes of the approved routes will have signs such as the one below, however there are no signs at minor intersections and no signs on the approved routes showing you are on an approved route. Upper Richmon Rd is a case in point, no signs on the routes leading of it, and none are approved, so you would be scuppered if you did not consult your chart, which you can obtain from lorry control for £9.99, beforehand. Same problem with Gunnersbury and Kew Rd.

why doesnt that sign just say mon to fri 9pm-7am etc,its like they want it to be confusing so they can shaft ya,robbing gits.try making head nor tail of that at speed with a bus up ya arse and a couple of lycra lemons.

Mercifully I no longer have this problem. The whole system is cack!

Yet more sheet being spouted on here again…

If the signs are are not compliant with the TSRGD then the limits are not signposted correctly, hence UNENFORCEABLE. PATAS would have to rule in your favor every time if you could show the signs are not compliant. This includes lighting, size and locations of signs.

wheelnutt:
You had better not start driving a decker then, imagine having to plan your route around low bridges, come to think of it better drive somehing under 8 ft, that way you don’t have to stop traffic and gridlock the area while you find your way around a bridge.

Go get a job on a milkfloat, that way you don’t have to worry about speed limits, weight and height restrictions… :wink:

I would rather drive a milk float than be forced to drive round that craphole… :laughing:

If I had my way, the lorries would tip on the outskirts and the eco conscious nambie pambies could figure out how to shuttle the goods to their shops and offices.

I’m not going to argue about every single road has a sign but if it doesn’t have a sign then, chances are you probably haven’t got business down there before 7am. Without a permit of course.

LONDON DOESN’T WANT LORRIES :imp:
DRIVERS DON’T WANT TO GO TO LONDON :frowning:
PROBLEM SOLVED,DON’T GO :grimacing:
BUT WAIT,WE STILL WANT OUR STUFF :sunglasses:
YOU BRING US OUR STUFF AND IF YOU GO WRONG WE WILL SCREW YOU :smiley:

There’s plenty of industrial estates in London that one HAS to drive through a restricted area to get there. Presumably, the local yards all have permits and all - but what of the owner driver or otherwise unliveried truck that potters along down towards the local yard - and gets zapped for a fine because they didn’t have the local permit? :frowning:

I was disappointed that my 35 hours DCPC training didn’t include all the ins and outs of a cat’s arse regarding the London Lorry Ban Scheme. :frowning:

■■■■■ em, let em come & get it.

I had to drive from stockwell bus depot to bow bus depot yesterday in my artic tanker, and the most direct route was thro elephant and castle, up borough high street, across London bridge, drop down on to lower thames street then to aldgate and along Whitechapel road. So the afternoon before, I checked the interweb regarding weight limits along this route. The city of london has its own very strict 7 1/2 ton zone with a diversion route for bigger vehicles. The maps and wording is very confusing so i rang a number it said to call if any problems, the person on the other end didnt really have a clue so told me to ring TFL, so i did. And altho the bloke on the other end was very polite and tried his hardest, even he didnt have a clue, but he did give me a ref number to fall back on. His final words were to ring london lorry control, but do you think i could get hold of anyone there?. The impression i got was that the councils put these restrictions in place, but don’t teach there own people how they work, and when you want to speak to someone, most of the timw its either they dont know or its a bloody automated machine which doesn’t know either. There is a rotue planner for hgvs which allow you to enter weight, height, length, start finish times etc, but even that sent me thro the citys strict weight limit.

Only been driving coupla months, boss said yesterday “You’ve got a nice day on the ferry to IOW, two drops, come back.” Lovely, but then “You’ve got a different day tomorrow! Up the smoke on Mad Friday.” Couldn’t understand till I read this post. :cry:
Still, dinner down the beach with the ever-loving tonight, chilli on the gas stove. :smiley: