London carriers

My brother worked for Visbeen at the time Roy had his 401, apparantly he tried overtaking his dutch spec 3300 one day, only to be left with his indicator going dawdling in the outside lane!!!
More to do with my brother being mad than to do with the big Gardner lacking as nothing was meant to touch them im led to believe.

Hi Toddy2,
as youre from my neck of the woods, have you got any pictures of Farming Supplies motors
that ran out of Maldon?
My mates late father drove for them and he would dearly like to find one of the ERF B series his dad drove for them back in 80s.

ERF ECX:
Hi Toddy2,
as youre from my neck of the woods, have you got any pictures of Farming Supplies motors
that ran out of Maldon?
My mates late father drove for them and he would dearly like to find one of the ERF B series his dad drove for them back in 80s.

Hi there ECX,
sadly i have’nt, I wish i had taken more pictures back then, I really love Bubs thread with the old cuttings - I have recently found my 2 old scrapbooks, and when a 9 year old shows me how to use a scaner - I’ll post what i have got,
Where abouts are you??

ST

Hello Toddy2, my late father drove fo Farming Supplies, would you be talking about John Gullen would you?

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
Hello Toddy2, my late father drove fo Farming Supplies, would you be talking about John Gullen would you?

Hello Straight Eight

I used to know a Peter Gullen who drove a bus for Eastern National, He lived in Southminster then moved to Maldon or Heybridge,
I heard he got his own bus after de-regulation

Sorry to everyone else for using the B word onthis thread

Hi Toddy,
im from Maldon, me and me mate Straight Eight have been friends since we were kids, over 30 years,
so who do you work for now?
Do you know Neil Everitt?, he owned my brothers old Foden 40000 XL A FEW YEARS BACK.

ERF ECX:
Hi Toddy,
im from Maldon, me and me mate Straight Eight have been friends since we were kids, over 30 years,
so who do you work for now?
Do you know Neil Everitt?, he owned my brothers old Foden 40000 XL A FEW YEARS BACK.

Hi ECX

I used to live in Maldon, my late Dad was a manager at PSL freight, & I Used to occasionally drive for Tavern (many years ago)
I now drive (part time) for a couple of mates as & when required - and do a few shifts a week for UK Mail -

I have heard of Neil Everitt, but don’t think I know him
I lived in Maldon from 1974 - 1981, then again from 1996 - 2002

Hi mate,
so you drove for Tavern then? I work there now, my brother drove for Allan in the 80s when he had the F10s on haulage, unfortunately we were all made redundent back in Feb, still there at the moment but it will all finish eventualy.

ERF ECX:
Hi mate,
so you drove for Tavern then? I work there now, my brother drove for Allan in the 80s when he had the F10s on haulage, unfortunately we were all made redundent back in Feb, still there at the moment but it will all finish eventualy.

Hi Again,
yes, I drove on an ad-hoc basis for Alan Wiseman from 1976, started with a Transit, then a 7 tonner.
When I passed my class one, I did a bit for him under the Chesterdean Transport operation, driving Bedford TK 12 tonners.
My Late father was a pal of Alan’s - and used to give Alan a bit of work.

My Dad used to load a chap from Mayland - Chris Gilbert, he had a Dodge G10, and 3 x 7.5 tonners (a Cargo, a TK, and a D series)
I used to drive for him from time to time, as he paid better than Alan.
Sadly, Chris passed away suddenly. I then used to do a bit for Essex International, driving their Forklift when they were in West Station Yard. When I worked for the Pru - I used to Insure The Tavern Garage, and do Alans Motor trade policy & several of the premises (inc Hunters Garage) - where I used to work on the Pumps before Alan bought it

I could go on & on

Hi Toddy,
is your surname McCewen by any chance? Allan still owns Hunters and Chesterdene still exists, so my former employer Doe Motors owned Hunters prior to Allan so did you work for them too?
Do you remember Roger the fitter he,s still there, i guess you remember Ernie aswell then.
You could tell me some stories then■■?

Hi there ECX

no my surname is Todd - you probably mean Bob McEwan who used to do a bit for PSL freight when they were Patmar shipping & forwarding - where Ceva are now located.
Allan had a D series unit on hire to them for shunting

When I worked at Hunters it was owned by F A Deason, along with The Barn Garage at Braintree (where I used to work on Sundays, with an old Maldonian called Tony Overall) and Howe Green Garage (on the Old A 130) near Sandon. The manager was a little fat welsh bloke called Brynley Chivall who lived in Wood Road.

Yes I remember Roger, I phoned up 2 or 3 weeks ago for his help when I broke down in Danbury (not me of course - the Lorry) but he was off sick. First time i have called since Steve Cooper left. You remember Steve? - he got run over on the causeway outside the garage

I know Ernie Bird very well - still see him occasionally when i get dragged into Morrisons

What a small world it is

Hi new here so. I started at Beddington lane croydon in 69 aged 21+.I was under johnny Appleford/Graham Gerling. Remember like yesterday Reg Penticost trying to fire up his Albion with lighted newspaper into the air cleaner pipe,smoke coming out of the exhast like
a sudden fog.All the trucks painted green,everybody was happy no one ever thought of leaving, it was like one big happy family.that is untill
they started changing the colours then everyone was moved to Croydon unit. I left in 78 with bdifferent views with Eric Salmon
regards all

Hi I worked at london carriers from 1968 to 1979 in the workshops at beddington lane, do remember lots of the drivers including Mick Whelan, Bill Hall & my brother Brian Shrubb who all did shop deliverys. Also remember Eric Salmon & les Deadman.
Regards to you all

hi lc must of had depot in scotland as they dropped boxes at atlas express depot in inverness where my father worked as driver most of boxes where for highlands etc bedfords was there motors that be late 70 s. went out we him most school hols so mind lc coming in

Pretty sure this was an ex London Carriers Leyland Steer,

they had a few of these early on
5513418508_4cdfbc008f_z.jpg

Here is one of heir first wagon & drags, ■■■■■■■ 220 prime mover, trailer cut down to 24ft in their own workshops at Beddington Lane, Croydon, and pulled with a 5th wheel dolly,
AS you can see - the front of the trailer sits 2 or 3 inches higher than the rest of the outfit.

These were high trailers in their day (the days before DDs) - about 15’ 2" IIRC
LC%20Guy.jpg

Roy Strawbridge

didn’t he or his family run a boat around the uk recently on tv doing a cookery programme?

Driver-Once-More:

Roy Strawbridge

didn’t he or his family run a boat around the uk recently on tv doing a cookery programme?

No - you’re thinking of ■■■■ Strawbridge - bit of a TV personality, cook, engineer with a big bushy moustache

ERF ECX:
I remember mr Strawbridge, had a white Sedatk 400 then later on a green 401 with a Gardner 300 in it i think.
Used to park it in Galiford road if i remember rightly, had a dodgy eye aswell.

I have just found a photo of Roy Strawbridges Foden VEX 459L with him sitting in it,
But it does say Copyright all over it, so I daren’t upload it in case I manage to unbalance World Peace

Rembered where i found it now - Crazytrucker posted it on page 195 of Bubbs thread - Scrapbook memories - take a look !!

hi, I knew a bloke in mitcham who run a skip firm. he used to buy London carrier motors when they finished with them. I think he had first refusal. the bloke I was driving for bought a couple from him. one a big j, the other a funny little d series ford. both in good nick. ray.