Log books

I used to do a bit of casual driving years ago for a guy with a garage, and a hire fleet. He had a transport company with no lorries. He would take a job on and cross hire one of his other companies rental trucks. Give me a new logo book and off I went. When I got back he would ask if anything had happened or if I’d been stopped and then throw the log sheet away and pay me cash. Next trip out - new logo book :open_mouth:

One of my favourite tricks was to book off further up the road than I was so I could lie-in in the morning. When I came off the road, I spent a few weeks checking and signing the other drivers sheets - now that was an eye-opener. Dodgy MPH between drops, averaging 4 MPG, nights out in the same place every trip etc etc. Stone me - I was a bleedin angel ! Jim.

old 67:
Turned them round, hope you don’t mind.
Regards. John.
p.s. click to enlarge image.

Thanks for that “Old 67”

Blimey those bring back memories, A pain in the backside when you were on multi drop deliveries, I only ever got stopped once by PC Plod on the Formby bypass in the early 70’s to check my logbook and as luck had it I had brought it up to date at the last drop over a cup of tea. :smiley:

1 for days…1 for nights…1 for miscellanious :wink:

Log sheets were better than log books,you could keep making another out until you got where you wanted,no numbers on them.
When books came out in 1970 - I think - I kept an old one and put it in a plastic type wallet just for getting lifts on dodgy nights out. Very often I would ponder over my log book on a Saturday afternoon trying to remember where I’d been all week. :smiley:

And anybody int gaffers office in a suit sent a chill up yer spine in case it were Ministry Man,asking for records to tally with the dreaded silent checks. :open_mouth:

Chris Webb:
Log sheets were better than log books,you could keep making another out until you got where you wanted,no numbers on them.
When books came out in 1970 - I think - I kept an old one and put it in a plastic type wallet just for getting lifts on dodgy nights out. Very often I would ponder over my log book on a Saturday afternoon trying to remember where I’d been all week. :smiley:

And anybody int gaffers office in a suit sent a chill up yer spine in case it were Ministry Man,asking for records to tally with the dreaded silent checks. :open_mouth:

Aye the old type logs sheets were a multie purpose thing in my youngers days in the 50s When I first got into to the haulage game, You could wipe your arse with them , Set them alight to melt the Ice off the windscreen, Wipe the good old oil dipstick, Which sadley to say modern motors dont have , Its just a case of pushing a button & all the ■■■■ Info comes up on the dash, ■■■■ me whats happened to good old sencible thoughts, Who needs all this ■■■■■■■ crap, It beats me how us old drivers made a living & survived to tell the tale, Well thats My bit said for the present, Im off to my whiskeys now to have a few before I retire to my bed, & Hope to wake up in the morning feeling as randy as a buthchers dog I wish Eh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

ah the old lie sheets.many a tall tale told on these eh lads.

What book preceded these ‘join the dots’ type, My very first job I’m sure involved the earlier type, where you wrote destinations and mileages…or am I mistaken■■?

This would have been the first three days of a Scotch load-and-go in this vehicle ex Mack & Edwards and Norman Collett in Paddock Wood. Day four was back as far as Darenth for a dodgy having loaded kerbs or flags ex Charcon Products at Hulland Ward. IIRC a midday arrival at Glasgow Market caused a few comments from the stall holders.

download/file.php?id=29610&mode=view

KKJ Renfrew Morecombe 001.jpg

KKJ Kendal Renfrew 001.jpg

KKJ  Kendal 001.jpg