LOCKDOWN THREAD [Updated 05/01/2021]

JUNE 2021

Apart from cancellations there are no Test slots available until September 2021 BUT the odd one does pop up now and then.
Problem is, if you fail then you will have to retrain unless you don’t forget anything.

Your school’s will be looking for tests for you on a daily basis.

We all know this is due to the backlog because of Lockdown because of Covid but I wonder what will happen to the backlog due to the backlog…■■?

Will this even end…?

The fact they are shoving driverless lorries onto the roads to test them is a tad unnerving, especially as some airports take you from the plane to the terminal in a coach, with no driver.

Schools won’t risk over trading by buying more vehicles and hiring more instructors but what would be the point, there are no tests?

It seems the recent employment of new examiners has not made any difference to the situation of not enough test slots, not enough examiners and a ten mile queue of test candidates.

The situation is clearly getting worse. I flumped my test and got a cancellation, now there is no more room even on the cancellation list.

Soon the schools will seize up as no student wants to wait three months or more.

With a 60,000 driver shortage, no wonder the Government are testing the driverless robots, because if not, we are all going to starve to death (well actually not, we can always buy our food from the markets and not rely on the supermarkets).

Then your local butchers and greengrocers and farmers markets will thrive again.

There is no doubt that there is a chronic shortage of tests nationwide. It has to be said that some trainers are better than others when it comes to managing the available supply . In fairness to DVSA, no-one has had to deal with a pandemic before. And, all things considered, they did reasonably well. Now they are paddling like hell to try and catch up. It wont happen as there’s just not enough examiners to make serious inroads into the issue.

The National Vocational Driving Instructor Register has been in continual contact and discussion with DVSA to find a solution. These talks are slow and laborious but, if successful, could wipe out the backlog very quickly. The talks are sensitive so I can give no information beyond the fact that they exist. So please dont think that no-one is bothered or interested. Representing NVDIR, I am working hard with DVSA and they, in turn, are doing their very best to relieve the situation.

In the meantime, best of luck to everyone training and testing.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Paid my deposit at Xmas time to get the offer and finally found time to take my theory on Saturday which luckily I managed 97/100 and 73 on the hazard perception. Frustratingly 39 on the CPC so 1 point off but have rebooked it for next week.

Contacted your office today to proceed with getting a date for my course and was impressed to get 13th Sept as my start date for training.

Looking forward to meeting you guys soon.

Cheers
Jordan