Loading double deckers

Many years ago we use to pull the early Wilson double deckers with DAF day cabbed 2500 tractor units ,handled bloody awfully ,much better with a Leyland road train ,some thing with a bit of meat behind it !!!

Zac_A:

md1987:
Surely in the majority of cases this is down to the [zb] wits who load them to do it properly and be familiar with the regulations aswell as the driver. Granted I’m not familiar with deckers nor do I want to be haha
If it was a sealed curtain sider one I picked up just break them and check everything looks OK?

Depends. Asda (for example) have a documented process where the loader signs on the dotted line and takes responsibility for the loading, the DDs are sealed with a cord and drivers are instructed NOT to open them. One of their TMs assured me that they had cleared this process with DVSA and because they’d provided evidence of process, it was accepted.
But if it was Bloggs and Son Transport, you’d open them and check.

Its not what I’ve been told when I did my cpc!
The trainer told me that,ultimatley,its always the drivers responsibility ,he cant pass this on to the loaders,but at the same time,reading the replies to my post,there does seem to be a degree of discretion on the driver’s part.Theoretically,if you drove a truck ,fully loaded on the top deck,but empty on the bottom,I think it is possible ,but it all all comes down to the fact that you are driving within the limitations of the vehicle

Zac_A:
Have a look at the updated rules on vehicle loading, most infringements are now an immediate PG9, including something as simple as having an >400kg pallet on the top deck.
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … efects.pdf

EDIT: pages 51 to 55

^^^^^^^What he said!^^^^^^^^

18 years pulling DD curtainsiders on pallet network trunking. NEVER more than 400Kg per pallet on the top. Personally, I aim for 300Kg max. If the bottom is not full, don’t load the top. Sometimes size is an issue, in which case use common sense. A light but large pallet is OK on the top if there is no room on the bottom, but as always, are in mind the weight.
People will sometimes suggest that a 3 or 4 space pallet that weighs a tonne is less than 400KG per “space”. However, the best advice I have been given is that when it falls off, it is still a tonne. 400Kg MAX - no excuses! basic physics - keep the weight on the bottom not the top. And don’t forget, YOU have the final word - no matter what anyone else tells you. (You will also get the fine, points, trip to TC, prison sentence etc. when it all goes wrong).

gardun:
[

18 years pulling DD curtainsiders on pallet network trunking. NEVER more than 400Kg per pallet on the top. Personally, I aim for 300Kg max. If the bottom is not full, don’t load the top. Sometimes size is an issue, in which case use common sense. A light but large pallet is OK on the top if there is no room on the bottom, but as always, are in mind the weight.
People will sometimes suggest that a 3 or 4 space pallet that weighs a tonne is less than 400KG per “space”. However, the best advice I have been given is that when it falls off, it is still a tonne. 400Kg MAX - no excuses! basic physics - keep the weight on the bottom not the top. And don’t forget, YOU have the final word - no matter what anyone else tells you. (You will also get the fine, points, trip to TC, prison sentence etc. when it all goes wrong).

Are you told what each individual pallet weighs?

Zac_A:

md1987:
Surely in the majority of cases this is down to the [zb] wits who load them to do it properly and be familiar with the regulations aswell as the driver. Granted I’m not familiar with deckers nor do I want to be haha
If it was a sealed curtain sider one I picked up just break them and check everything looks OK?

Depends. Asda (for example) have a documented process where the loader signs on the dotted line and takes responsibility for the loading, the DDs are sealed with a cord and drivers are instructed NOT to open them. One of their TMs assured me that they had cleared this process with DVSA and because they’d provided evidence of process, it was accepted.

Nope, untrue. Asda Drivers check the load, Check pallet stickers to make sure the right store has been loaded on the right trailer (its happened) also have to check suspension is levelled and check wander lead for deck operation. Cant do any of that with the doors closed and sealed.
Yes DVSA have approved loading practices and are regularly checked by FTA on the compliance audit but we do still have to check load as much as is practicable. See a load of bulk pallets of booze on the bottom deck, you can be ■■■■ sure that if you are ok on the weighbridge that the top is fine. Loads of crisps and bog roll on the bottom and you are running 44T then something is badly wrong up top.

stu675:

gardun:
[

Are you told what each individual pallet weighs?

They are labelled, but that is not always accurate. Also if a consignment is more than one pallet some put the total consignment weight on the label, others put the individual pallet weight. If in doubt either get it weighed or just keep it downstairs!

Fuzrat:
Nope, untrue.

Not my argument, I’m simply repeating what was shared by one of ASDA’s TMs when he was on a refresher course

Zac_A:
One of their [ASDA] TMs assured me that they had cleared this process with DVSA and because they’d provided evidence of process, it was accepted.

Sploom:
Its not what I’ve been told when I did my cpc!
The trainer told me that, ultimatley,its always the drivers responsibility

DCPC, varies a lot in quality and knowledge of the trainer
What (if anything) did that DCPC trainer have to say about picking up a container going to or from the port, which has a seal like this on it?

cusotms bolt.png

Zac_A:
picking up a container

As a driver worried about the load exiting the vehicle can’t we expect nothing to come out the side of a container?

Fuzrat:

Zac_A:

md1987:

Nope, untrue. Asda Drivers check the load, Check pallet stickers to make sure the right store has been loaded on the right trailer (its happened) also have to check suspension is levelled and check wander lead for deck operation. Cant do any of that with the doors closed and sealed.
Yes DVSA have approved loading practices and are regularly checked by FTA on the compliance audit but we do still have to check load as much as is practicable. See a load of bulk pallets of booze on the bottom deck, you can be ■■■■ sure that if you are ok on the weighbridge that the top is fine. Loads of crisps and bog roll on the bottom and you are running 44T then something is badly wrong up top.

Yeah asda drivers have to check the load and seal it themselves, at least from all the depots i have worked from

stu675:

Zac_A:
picking up a container

As a driver worried about the load exiting the vehicle can’t we expect nothing to come out the side of a container?

Who said anything about a load leaving the vehicle or container? You need to consider the packing of a load inside the container, and if it that load moves how it will affect your stability.

Something this Argos driver did not consider. For those not familiar with the A66 in Middlesborough, he’s collected this from Teesport and travelled about two miles before reaching this roundabout, which far too many drivers treat as if it wasn’t actually a roundabout at all, including Mr P45’s-in-the-post here.

Argos drivers are, or were in my time there, managed by DHL at the Faverdale depot in Darlington, where this guy was headed for. They gave people major grief over missed WTD breaks; I image several pointy-shoes heads exploded with this sterling piece of advertising.

A66 Argos.jpg