load restraints

This is how we strap coils.
They weigh about 12 tonne each.maybe concrete blocks could be secured in a similar way

It isn’t 44 straps it’s 132, he’s carrying 3 blocks at least presumably. With timbers at the front, timbers in the middle so the straps are pulling straight down rather than at an angle and all three moulds butted up to one another the requirement should be considerably fewer straps especially if you can convince th company to buy anti slip mats. The remaining problem being that if loaded like that a 13.6 m trailer is going to be bending like a banana if you keep doing loads like this.

good quality pallet on its side in front of each mould… feed two of your straps through the pallet forming a cross , and backwards about 5 or 6 feet to a place on the chassis where they wont be able to slide forwards… NOT on rope hooks…

34.81 x 1.25 = 43.51 round up to 44 Straps

Or download this App which gives the answer of 43 straps
http://www.spanset.com/au_en/section/lashcontrollerapp

A very rough and ready calculation for a load AGAINST the headboard is weight of load divided by STF from ratchet. So 8000/350 = 22.85 or 23 straps. If loaded away from headboard multiply the answer by 2.

Of course this will all be mocked and scoffed at even though it’s all based on a British Standard calculation but usually most truck drivers know far better than the load restraint engineers and experts that created the calculation. :wink:

Like I said, ridiculous…

nsmith1180:

sweeper1gg:

Punchy Dan:
Have you tried your axle weights to see if it will stand being right up to headboard ?

hi the problem is, i reverse into a building to load and the overhead crane only goes so far over the truck.

Or you could drive in forwards and reverse out!

I do big coils of metal for a paint tin manufacturer on a regular basis. They weigh in at 8.2ish tonnes a piece and I strap them with 1 5t rated ratchet strap around the front of the item, another around the back so the load is effecively being pulled to the front and back of the trailer at the same time. I then put two or three straps straight over the top to hold it down to the bed. Halving the rated load on the straps either gives me 10 or 12.5 t of restraint on a 8.2 tonne item, more than enough. I also strap to the chassis rather than to the apparently 2.5t rated hooks at the side of the chassis.

If your straps are the normal 50mm webbing they are only rated to half their original breaking strain. Therefore LC2500daN or equivalent 2500kg. Some are less but this is the norm.

The lashings you describe front and rear are spring lashings. For an item at 8.2t using a standard coefficient of friction of 0.3 you’d need 2 standard LC2500daN spring lashings to the front and 1 to the rear depending on strength of lashing points (you use the chassis) (1 LC2500daN strap secures 7.64t forwards therefore not enough for 100% of load weight and 15.6t backwards so 1 strap is fine). However - you may have less or perhaps more friction.

The straps you throw straight over the top will normally only supply a downwards force of around 350daN or 350kg. Not much use. You’d be better off with loop lashings for sideways movement where one pair of lashings will stop 11.3t at coefficient of friction 0.3.

There’s a great guide available here Cargo securing for road transport - Publications Office of the EU page 78 onwards.