Liverpool Hauliers in the 1960s

In the picture above, there are plenty of “Gaffers” looking up at the consignment on the crane hook.
I think it must be something rather important, with all those “Suits” in attendance. Is it something
arriving in Liverpool, which will be loaded on the Royal Mail van :question: or is it something valuable being
sent to West Africa :question: Ray Smyth.

Heres some companies you will remember Ray.

Click on pages twice to read.

Hi Dean, Thank you for the script and pictures in the above posting. I met Jim Murphy at
The Merseyside Transport Trust at Burscough several times about 15 years ago. Regards, Ray.

Ray Smyth:
In the picture above, there are plenty of “Gaffers” looking up at the consignment on the crane hook.
I think it must be something rather important, with all those “Suits” in attendance. Is it something
arriving in Liverpool, which will be loaded on the Royal Mail van :question: or is it something valuable being
sent to West Africa :question: Ray Smyth.

Probably an illegal immigrant or two Ray!

David

W & R Jacob & Co from Liverpool.

Click on page once or twice to view.

My dad drove for these in the 70’s.

A 1965 picture of what was and still is a very busy road junction in Liverpool.
Between the Corporation Leyland Atlantean and the Scotts Bakery bread van is a
Policeman on Point Duty. The bus is at the end of Kirkdale Road, A59, and is about to
go straight ahead on to Walton Road, the right turn at the Walkers pub is Everton Valley,
which leads to Walton Lane and East Lancashire Road, A580. The cars on the left are a
Ford Corsair, A Ford Zodiac, and a Land Rover. The advert hoarding informs us that
Players No.6 Cigarettes are 2 shillings & 1 penny for 10, and 4 shillings & tuppence for 20.
Picture from Bootle History Forum.

You may find this intresting Ray ! :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.

liverpool mersey tunnel pl.jpg

Hi Dean, Thank you for the very interesting post regarding the Mersey Tunnel.
During the early 1950s, I used to go with my Dad on his little Co-op lorry, and
he told me that when the Mersey Tunnel was opened in 1934 by King George V
and Queen Mary, after the official Royal party and civic dignitaries had set off
through the tunnel, followed by private cars, Dad said that his Greenbanks Dairy
Ford 2 tonner was the first commercial vehicle to pass through the tunnel after
the opening.

Ray Smyth.

Hello my grandad is Anthony Hopwood (Tony hoppy) of eastham, he had a haulage company with his dad Albert Hopwood close to plymard fields bromborough, if anyone has any stories I would love to hear them, I’ll get pictures uploaded soon. regards mark hopwood

HI, MARK I NEw Tony very well ,and my Dad ,new ALbert well ,TONY had a Leyland comet then in abuot 1965 he had a new 16 ton Leyland ,C ,reg ,we carried out of Rhosesmore sand and gravel Tony had a lot of his own work , I did a week while he went on holiday , i had a twin steer BMC which got red hot in the cab ,Tony came with me to show were to go he only lasted half a day could not stand the heat ,ask him next time you see him and the time he backed into his new mini , then ran down the hole in the road works many laugh with him hope he his keeping tell him iam asking for him ,last i seen him he was carying off the docks for L F BRIGGS IIRC HE HAD AN 8 WHEEL ERF , cheers Barry Waddy

Another busy day on the Dock Road in Liverpool. Picture 2 is one of about 15 cafes
on the Dock Road and surrounding streets that were owned by Stan Waters.
I hope that Grumpy Old Man in Dewsbury doesn’t look in on this Liverpool thread,
too many bad memories for him. :slight_smile: :wink: Pictures from Bootle History Forum.
Ray.

One of the large fleet of bread vans of Scotts Empire Bakery in Liverpool.
Their enormous bakery was in the Netherton area of Liverpool, near to
where the M57 and M58 motorways start. It has a Bootle Reg.No. EM 854.
I cant identify what make of lorry it is. Ray.
Picture from Bootle History Forum.

United Africa Co. Sentinel steam lorries. Steamers were a familiar sight
in Liverpool for many years through to the mid 1960s.

United Africa.jpg

Bedford lorry loading bales of wool at Liverpool Docks.
I cant make out the name on the Bedford, it is painted
in a light colour…perhaps it is the light blue of Langtons.
Ray Smyth.

Hartleys Jams & Preserves had a large factory on Long Lane, Aintree.
For reasons that escape me right now, it was known as Hartleys Village.
It may have been a similar situation to Port Sunlight village across the
River Mersey, where Lord Leverhulme built his enormous soap factory,
and also decent housing for his employees. This Hartleys lorry, possibly
a Leyland, is loading oranges from Spain, for the production of marmalade.
From memory, ships bringing goods from Spain usually unloaded at Queens
Dock, known locally as “The Spanish Berth”. Ray Smyth.

Silver Roadways lorries were seen regularly at Tate & Lyle sugar refinery in Liverpool. Ray Smyth.

A large proportion of Thomas Wilson`s traffic was the carriage of frozen carcasses of meat in insulated
containers, much of it from Argentina and other faraway places. They also loaded freshly slaughtered
meat at Stanley Abbatoir on Prescot Road. Thomas Wilson Transport was based at Canal Street, Bootle,
not far from Jarvis Robinson Transport. Ray Smyth.

Thomas Wilson.jpg

Thomas Wilson Guy.jpg

When I was a kid during the war years and living on Strand Road Bootle
I used to steal my mothers veggies as a treat for Arthur V Crutchley’s
horses which I had to pass on my way to school, the horses got a treat
I got a clip round the lug.

harry_gill:
When I was a kid during the war years and living on Strand Road Bootle
I used to steal my mothers veggies as a treat for Arthur V Crutchley’s
horses which I had to pass on my way to school, the horses got a treat
I got a clip round the lug.

I assume that would be WW1 “H” Cheers Anon 1.