Liverpool hauliers 1970/80

dashman:
Anyone remember Norwest Sand and Ballast CoCollingwood Dock in the 70s White and red Ford D800s
Foden S21 8 legger 2 stroke, you could here it a mile away and an Albion Riever 6 legger.

and Woodwards of Formby, maroon Atkis? who had a nice tipper fleet, I think they built the bodies,ally with a distinctive hinge on the tailboard, they owned Wellington Haulage…blue tippers from Stoneycroft, L`pool. also anyone remember Rhosbothams of Bickerstaffe?..similar wagons to Woodwards.

and Walton Haulage from near Evertons ground…Bedford artics?

also Arthur Hughes from Bootle [Forth street]

Rosbottoms ran Magirus Deutz eight-wheelers in the seventies and eventually packed up in the late eighties. Their work was taken up by Drapers - also from Bickerstaffe, who are still operating today with DAF CF tippers.

When you referred to Woodies from Formby, did you mean Woodwards Engineering on the by-pass (now Tesco)? They were Leyland Group dealers and servicing agents and also used to sell Atkinsons too - I believe Keith Bradley used to collect & store new Atkis there & on Burscough airfield.

I seem to remember a firm called Oswald Inghams, orange merc sk’s, think they were from liverpool…?
Then saw them in the middle 90s still sk mercs but plain white cabs, mainly on containers and flats…?

gunnerheskey:
I seem to remember a firm called Oswald Inghams, orange merc sk’s, think they were from liverpool…?
Then saw them in the middle 90s still sk mercs but plain white cabs, mainly on containers and flats…?

Ossie Inghams were from Manchester (Ancoats keeps popping into my head, but I don’t think it really was) - pulled a lot of ACL boxes out of Seaforth. They had a lot of DAF 2800 6x2s at one stage (with the 310 engine in them) - I went to look at one with a view to buying it around 1990 (not for me - for someone else). Orange cabs, black chassis.

[EDIT] It wasn’t Ancoats - it was Newton Heath. I knew it’d come to me eventually.

truckspark:
hi dors any one have any pics of liverpool hauliers trucks s p roadways / r j larkin / goerge davis cheers

hiya heres a few of mine from the 80’s

marky:

gunnerheskey:

Ossie Inghams were from Manchester (Ancoats keeps popping into my head, but I don’t think it really was) - pulled a lot of ACL boxes out of Seaforth. They had a lot of DAF 2800 6x2s at one stage (with the 310 engine in them) - I went to look at one with a view to buying it around 1990 (not for me - for someone else). Orange cabs, black chassis.

[EDIT] It wasn’t Ancoats - it was Newton Heath. I knew it’d come to me eventually.

Cheers for that marky, can always recall seeing them up an down the dunnings bridge rd and on the 62 . :slight_smile:

Might be late 80’s (sorry if it’s too late year wise!) but weren’t thorburns from Liverpool way? Trying to remember how long ago I remember seeing they’re wagons…

marky:

gunnerheskey:

Ossie Inghams were on contract with ACL for many years, running plain white MAN’s with INCO-TRANS livery on the sides but definitely on contract with ACL as my Dad ran with them quite a lot down the years when he worked for Houston’s

chorleyred:

marky:

gunnerheskey:

Ossie Inghams were on contract with ACL for many years, running plain white MAN’s with INCO-TRANS livery on the sides but definitely on contract with ACL as my Dad ran with them quite a lot down the years when he worked for Houston’s

Hi fellas, Ossie Ingham’s originally from Newton Heath and then moved up to Canal St; Heywood into the Nuttalls of Heywood yard when they folded ended up with a place down in Rochdale and shut up shop mid 90’s. Worked for them on the ACL contract in the 80’s they had 3 DAF’s and 2 MAN’s on contract but had a variety of other motors in their own colours doing spot work for a lot of the other container lines around M/cr & Liverpool.
Chorleyred, do remember your dad, Joe from Houston’s, as we have spoken about him before, never forgot the time we spent ‘putting the world to rights’ in Aberdeen one day :laughing: :wink: :wink:

All the best
Regards
Dave Penn;

Mention of Geo Davis previously, George Ashcroft gave me this one to post