lingo

Never had a problem with languages myself.

11 years married to German meant I had to learn the language to defend myself :open_mouth:
20 odd years working for Dutchman meant that after being told an Englishman could never master Dutch I did
20 odd years of passing through France gave me the ability to converse in French
15 years with the second wife who is Spanish/Basque meant learning Spanish or get slaughtered :open_mouth:

Vascoingles:

11 years married to German meant I had to learn the language to defend myself :open_mouth:
20 odd years working for Dutchman meant that after being told an Englishman could never master Dutch I did
20 odd years of passing through France gave me the ability to converse in French
15 years with the second wife who is Spanish/Basque meant learning Spanish or get slaughtered :open_mouth:

when i heard you shouting at that driver on the phone paul i genuinely thought you were spanish until i saw you driving a rover :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Harry Monk:

bobthedog:
, there is a truck drivers lingo that seems to contain all different words from different languages and is understaood the world overā€¦ :laughing:

Itā€™s called ā€œDesperantoā€ :wink:

Very Dry, nice :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

welshboyinspain:

Vascoingles:

when i heard you shouting at that driver on the phone paul i genuinely thought you were spanish until i saw you driving a rover :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

when in Rome and such like :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Iā€™ve found, much like everyone else.
Any attempt in any language other than English, in any country (not German in France thoā€™ for some reason :open_mouth: ) will get you a positive reply.
In Italy, for example, they teach English or German at school, so try German if you donā€™t know the Italian.
Spanish is similar to Italian, but they pronounce words slightly differently - por favor, per favore; parking, parking; gracias, grazie. :smiling_imp:
The main thing is to try. The more time you spend in a country, the more of the language youā€™ll learn. The more you try, the more youā€™ll learn and as you try you get a good response which gives you the confidence to try more :sunglasses:

Some basic Germanā€¦

Wir wollen ein auto mieten= we are volunteering to go out to get meat :wink:

Coffeeholic:
I find listening to the radio helps a lot,

When Iā€™m in France I usually listen to France Info, the 24 hour news channel, to try and improve my French.
Iā€™ve also got a German - French dictionary ( :sunglasses: ) that I keep in the cab so I can look up anything I hear or see that I donā€™t understand

I speak fluent Geordie if thatā€™s any help?

And 24 years in Yorkshire means I can just about manage the lingo.

Ken.

Quinny:
I speak fluent Geordie if thatā€™s any help?

And 24 years in Yorkshire means I can just about manage the lingo.

Ken.

Youā€™re doing well, :smiley: Iā€™ve lived in Norfolk all my life and still have trouble understanding some of the old boys on the farms. I say old boys some are younger than me. :laughing:

Harry Monk:
All lorry drivers throughout Europe can understand the following, oft repeated conversationā€¦

Him- zere ist ein problem.

Me- Was is der problem?

Him- Problem mit papiere

Me- Es ist ein grosse problem?

Him- Ja. Kommen zie hier zuruck Morgen froo.

Me- Alice Klarr
:wink:

Fanks Harry you made me laurf with that

Vascoingles:

Hey Vas your a jack of all trades and master of none huh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

kerwyn:

Vascoingles:

Hey Vas your a jack of all trades and master of none huh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dunno about that

53 years old never had a day out of work in my life and now run the Spanish operation for the company, not too bad for someone who never even passed his 11+ Ireckon

Vascoingles:
not too bad for someone who never even passed his 11+ Ireckon

Vasco, passing exams proves nothing other than the ability to pass exams. Some of the brightest most interesting people Iā€™ve met in my 53 years have been without formal qualification of any kind, and of course, some of the least interesting & vacuous people Iā€™ve had the misfortune to meet have had ā€˜more letters after their name then in itā€™.

Ross.

I speak French fluently, German haltingly, ask Brit Pete he had to translate a document for me< Spanish & Italian a bit always got by even in OLD commie bloc lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: