Lifting trailer with unit to hook up?

I’m another who does it, far safer. I also nip under with a torch and check the jaws have shut before putting the dogclip in - saves tug-testing, which can be unreliable, plus if you have missed it and tug test it’ll either hook the pin harder under the fifth wheel or you’ll fly out and the trailer’ll land with a bang which doesn’t help the legs. :blush: :wink:

And how many of you pop your head under the trailer to checkthe bar is engaged in the 5th wheel? or is that just me? :unamused:

lilysgranpa:
And how many of you pop your head under the trailer to checkthe bar is engaged in the 5th wheel? or is that just me? :unamused:

Cross posted, see above. :stuck_out_tongue:

oh yeah. just woke up. eyes not working properly yet. :blush: :blush: :blush:

shuttlespanker:
i back under the trailer to get the plate under the front, then lift the suspension to raise the legs off the ground, it stops any potential damage to the legs when you give it the tug to make sure you are connected

+1

Everytime.

Ken

depends on the height of the trailer I’m picking up.

Like Lucy and Lilysgranpa I always visually check the 5th wheel locking bar is engaged.

I always lower then raise up underneath before the pin, and it’s important to check the jaws have closed. I was in Bibby at Hyton the other week, just engaged the pin,and this young lad came in next to me and had left before I was halfway through my pre-journey checks, no ■■■■■■, no care and no looking at anything :unamused: I just don’t get how some drivers show so little care to something that can have such serious consequenses not just on other road users but themselves :imp:
Phil

philtvc65:
…no ■■■■■■…

I never ■■■■■■ it either, I can tell by the noise it makes, which should be about as loud as a vehicle door closing, whether it has coupled correctly and that along with a quick look up the jaws is good enough for me.

I know what you mean but these assessments at most places now insist on a ■■■■■■, or they can fail you !!
Phil :imp:

lilysgranpa:

Always, even if just moving it down the yard.
Have witnessed our #1 pro driver drop a few off the back because he hasn’t checked, luckily they were in the yard

shuttlespanker:
i back under the trailer to get the plate under the front, then lift the suspension to raise the legs off the ground, it stops any potential damage to the legs when you give it the tug to make sure you are connected

This

lilysgranpa:

Can’t do that on our trailers as theres a ‘cheese wedge’ in the way for the rear steer. Tug testing is all we have, no-ones had any problems so far…

I always lower the suspension as I go under the trailer then raise the suspension to lift the trailer legs off the ground before reaching the pin, apart from making for a smoother quieter connection and avoiding potential damage to the trailer legs or the ground the trailer is stood on, it also eliminates the risk of under-running the pin and hitting the trailer with the back of the cab.

When un-coupling I pull forward until the pin is clear then lower the suspension on the unit as I slowly pull out from under the trailer, I hate to see trailers crash to the ground as any slack in the legs is taken up, lowering the suspension eliminates that and again makes for a smoother quieter procedure.

shuttlespanker:

Suspension that can be raised as well as lowered has not been invented in the USA yet :laughing:
We can lower it to unhook nut every one I talk to is amazed when I tell them how I used to rais it to make winding the legs up easier :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

vwgpmk2:

lilysgranpa:

Always, even if just moving it down the yard.
Have witnessed our #1 pro driver drop a few off the back because he hasn’t checked, luckily they were in the yard

Same here,always have done,always will do. :wink:

chris c:

wildfire:

bald bloke:

happysack:

selby newcomer:
suspension down, go under then lift suspension, then fully back under once lifted. was told it stops the trailer legs getting bent

+1

+3

+4

+5

Anyone got sliding 5th wheels? Frigin pain in the balls so it is! Auto cf has got the touch of a elephant so you end up banging back as some rate.

ROG:
Most LGV training schools have air suspension units but do not use this method as the DSA test does not require it

This could be because there are still units out there which do not have this and so do it the ‘old way’

Perhaps the test will change in the future when virtually all the non air suspension units have gone - same as they did for double-de-clutching on test

You are talking about training schools, where a drivers learns how to pass a driving test.
We are talking about how it’s done in the real world.
It’s one of the things your examiner means when he says, “I am pleased to tell you that you’ve passed, well done. You have demonstrated to me that you can drive to a safe basic standard, now you can go and learn how to DRIVE on your own”.
(Please understand that I may have paraphrased what all of my test examiners have told me. My memory is a bit dodgy and it’s been well over 20 years since the last time.)

always lift and raise suspension saves on legs but also saves the rear off the wheel arches. But like most i found out the hard way when starting and underpinning it a few times :blush: :blush: :blush: .

The benefits off lowering the suspension when pulling out is if it hasnt left a gap between tractor unit and trailer you know you forgot the legs yes i also dropped a few empty trailers on their knees :blush: :blush: :blush:

Pat Hasler:
Suspension that can be raised as well as lowered has not been invented in the USA yet :laughing:
We can lower it to unhook nut every one I talk to is amazed when I tell them how I used to rais it to make winding the legs up easier :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Try telling that to the kids of today… they’d never believe you!