LHD truck Vs car incidents, how many a day?

Here we go again, the old argument that improved technology isn’t required.

Sadly it is more so these days and will become more common place.

Times move and so does technology and we should be embracing it.

Otherwise if that’s the case let’s get rid of all technological advancements, who needs smart phoned and tablets and every other gadget we take for granted these days.

I’ve driven vehicles with no safety features at all, vehicles without power steering etc, technology moves on and makes things better and easier.

New vehicles now to get safety ratings and or allowed to be homologated have to have certain features now like ABES and lane departure etc as standard.

No matter what people may think they do stop accidents happening to a degree.

I never said anything about spy cameras, I said useful driver aids that assist and make it easier for you to avoid ending up in a bad situation.

Yes we know there are ffc and driver viewing cameras these days and they will become more prevalent with muppets that text etc while driving, whether we like it or not they will be here to stay and become the norm.

You have to learn to move and adapt with the times, we are not stuck in 1975 now.

Grumpy Dad:

simcor:
To be honest in this day and age it shouldn’t be an issue.

We have a hire rigid in at the moment I went out in the other night. It has a monitor and reversing camera, it also has a camera on the nearside that constantly shows the side view down the truck when the ignition is on. You would never not know there is a vehicle in the indicators spot on that side.

These types of systems could and can have cameras on both sides, could even be linked to swap left or right camera with the use of the indicators. Same as it swaps to rear view when selecting reverse.

Side sensors that detect something at the side of them and give an audible alarm and visual alarm like out front and corner sensors system fitted.

Newer vehicles even have industry spot warnings with sensors that usually illuminate a warning triangle in the wing mirrors.

Then there is the system we are supposed to be getting fitted at some point for the next level of Fors. A 360 degree View around the truck camera system.

It’s about time systems like that were made compulsory and the companies that supply and fit external systems were regulated as to cost to make it cost effective for all company sizes.

Very simple solutions to a lot of problems but no legislation to make it happen, they could insist all new trucks have to be fitted with these safety systems for a start at least.

That would cut down on a lot of these types of accidents.

You start installing [zb] like that, drivers become attendants relying on technology, I’ve got a 16 plate DAF XF, it has Lane Departure, Adaptable Cruise Control and AEBS, yes I have them but I’m not reliant on them, drivers should be aware of their surroundings, looking ahead, thinking for other drivers, but they don’t they are complacent, foot on dash, phone to their ear, FaceTime, Facebook, selfies.

So let’s get rid of power steering, abs traction control etc then and go back to how things were. Oh yeah and airbags and heck why not let’s go back to not having seat belts.

simcor:

Otherwise if that’s the case let’s get rid of all technological advancements, who needs smart phoned and tablets and every other gadget we take for granted these days.

I’ve driven vehicles with no safety features at all, vehicles without power steering etc, technology moves on and makes things better and easier.

New vehicles now to get safety ratings and or allowed to be homologated have to have certain features now like ABES and lane departure etc as standard.

I never said anything about spy cameras, I said useful driver aids that assist and make it easier for you to avoid ending up in a bad situation.

Yes we know there are ffc and driver viewing cameras these days and they will become more prevalent with muppets that text etc while driving, whether we like it or not they will be here to stay and become the norm.

You have to learn to move and adapt with the times, we are not stuck in 1975 now.

Technology does make improvements in the right situations, but placing them in vehicles makes drivers more reliant on technology, take proximity sensors for instance you’re travelling up the motorway and a car flies down the slip and into the range of the sensor, now as a driver shouldn’t you be aware of the slip and the possibility of an ■■■■■■■■ flying down it, and making preparations to avoid an incident, checking your mirrors looking for a possible gap in lane two, easing back a little knocking off Cruise and taking control, not leaving it till the last minute because technology told you to.

Drivers taught how to drive in the UK. In case of accident Steer LEFT.
Drivers NOT taught to drive in the UK. In case of accident Steer RIGHT

Grumpy Dad:

simcor:

Technology does make improvements in the right situations, but placing them in vehicles makes drivers more reliant on technology, take proximity sensors for instance you’re travelling up the motorway and a car flies down the slip and into the range of the sensor, now as a driver shouldn’t you be aware of the slip and the possibility of an [zb] flying down it, and making preparations to avoid an incident, checking your mirrors looking for a possible gap in lane two, easing back a little knocking off Cruise and taking control, not leaving it till the last minute because technology told you to.

I totally agree with what your saying but technology helps whether we like it or not. Nothing wrong with being decent driver and using technology to make it safer.

Anyway I can’t be bothered to argue to toss anymore because people will have their own opinion and anyone who has a different viewpoint is always wrong.

So I’ll leave you all to it on this thread.

simcor:

\The wheels still turned years ago and deliveries were done without issue. Thers absolutely no need for even more electronics fitted in the name of safety. Its driver education thats needed not cctv and ever more warning systems. Tbh, on the few recent occasions ive come back to the UK, i really dont see driving a lhd truck on UK roads as a problem. One thing i did note though is the shockingly bad awareness some car drivers seem to have…

Juddian:
^^^ spot on Beaver and Grumpy Dad, and as mentioned above by the usual lads the bloke in the lorry is supposed to be the professional, and doing your best not to obliterate errant cars driven by non-professionals is part of the lorry driver’s world, always has been and always will be.

I would also dispute the idea of a blind spots, with modern mirrors there are no real blind spots on motorway type roads, assuming that is that the mirrors are correctly set…and many arn’t by a long chalk…and the mirrors and windows kept clean as best one can.
The only time a side swipe is more understandable is those rare occasions when a lorry on the inside lane goes for the middle lane at exactly the same moment as car or van moving over to the same spot from the outside lane

Yep, especially agree with you on the mirrors thing - how many trucks do you see with the mirrors angled up at the sky?

There is also a lack of mirror-signal-mirror-manoeuvre discipline… hell, I’m sure we all see wagons change lanes hard enough that they get a lean on and have to be corrected. The handful of times that I’ve managed to start moving into lane 2 at the same time as someone from lane 3 have all come to nothing as I was just drifting over gently enough to drift back again with no drama, or the car driver noticed my indicator or that I’d come over the line and they back off.

We don’t need more spy kit, or more equipment to take the job of driving away from the driver. We don’t even need stricter testing, we need drivers to start driving properly.

If BigParcelCo give you a run that’s timed to the minute, and you’ll have to be on the limiter the whole way… just be a bit late and drive smoothly and safely.

I can’t remember the full quote now, but it goes something like this: “There are two simple measures that would dramatically increase road safety. 1. Remove the driver’s seatbelt and 2. Install a spike in the centre of the steering wheel.”

simcor:
To be honest in this day and age it shouldn’t be an issue.

We have a hire rigid in at the moment I went out in the other night. It has a monitor and reversing camera, it also has a camera on the nearside that constantly shows the side view down the truck when the ignition is on. You would never not know there is a vehicle in the indicators spot on that side.

These types of systems could and can have cameras on both sides, could even be linked to swap left or right camera with the use of the indicators. Same as it swaps to rear view when selecting reverse.

Side sensors that detect something at the side of them and give an audible alarm and visual alarm like out front and corner sensors system fitted.

Newer vehicles even have industry spot warnings with sensors that usually illuminate a warning triangle in the wing mirrors.

Then there is the system we are supposed to be getting fitted at some point for the next level of Fors. A 360 degree View around the truck camera system.

It’s about time systems like that were made compulsory and the companies that supply and fit external systems were regulated as to cost to make it cost effective for all company sizes.

Very simple solutions to a lot of problems but no legislation to make it happen, they could insist all new trucks have to be fitted with these safety systems for a start at least.

That would cut down on a lot of these types of accidents.

simcor:

I sometimes drive a LHD truck, before I pull out to overtake I’m already checking 4 mirrors and looking out the side window, I’m also checking them as I move over just in case I missed something, with the exception of reversing cameras, adding cameras would be just another thing to check, taking my eyes away from what’s happening in front.
Replace the mirrors with cameras with a better field of view maybe, but not more stuff.

The sensors that is something I can see being useful, I believe Volvo have one in the A pillar on the passenger side so it’s in your line of sight when checking mirrors and I’ve also seen the ones in car and van mirrors. It still doesn’t take away the responsibility of checking, but it might pick up something you’ve missed in your sweep, after all we are only human.

LHD or RHD does it matter? The Romanians have bought a ■■■■ load of second hand euro4 trucks from the UK.
Drivers are having accidents, driving under the influence, running bent, overloading some are driving while banned.
Trying to combat accidents with technology is only going to make matters worse as they become reliant and complacent, putting their trust in gadgets rather than common sense and driving in a professional manner, and no technology wouldn’t make them more professional just as a driver with a calculator isn’t a mathematician.

AndrewG:

nomiS36:
I can’t top that but do see it on an all too regular basis. What always occurs to be is how do these flip flop firms get insured to do UK work and how much does it cost [emoji44]

Flip flop here. I can get full european cover at very reasonable rates, even covers me for the good old UK funnily enough.
The cause of these collisions is the [zb] standard of UK drivers…

I am in agreement with those blaming the car drivers too. My son has just passed his driving test so I’ve been giving him some pointers re. Motorway driving. His driving ability isn’t in doubt so I’ve not mentioned that at all. The ‘secret’ to being a good driver is good observation, knowing what’s happening all around you all of the time. The other one I’ve pointed out to him is the idiots doing 50mph on the motorways, mixing it with the truck totally oblivious to the dangers. As I’ve told him, at 50 in the first lane you’re at the mercy of the trucks so they’re in charge whereas at 70 in the third lane you’re in charge.
That all said, some blame must go to the truck driver for these blind spot collisions, it’s down to impatience. If I’m not sure it’s clear I don’t go there until I am. Simples.

slowlane:

Juddian:
^^^ spot on Beaver and Grumpy Dad, and as mentioned above by the usual lads the bloke in the lorry is supposed to be the professional, and doing your best not to obliterate errant cars driven by non-professionals is part of the lorry driver’s world, always has been and always will be.

I would also dispute the idea of a blind spots, with modern mirrors there are no real blind spots on motorway type roads, assuming that is that the mirrors are correctly set…and many arn’t by a long chalk…and the mirrors and windows kept clean as best one can.
The only time a side swipe is more understandable is those rare occasions when a lorry on the inside lane goes for the middle lane at exactly the same moment as car or van moving over to the same spot from the outside lane

Yep, especially agree with you on the mirrors thing - how many trucks do you see with the mirrors angled up at the sky?

There is also a lack of mirror-signal-mirror-manoeuvre discipline… hell, I’m sure we all see wagons change lanes hard enough that they get a lean on and have to be corrected. The handful of times that I’ve managed to start moving into lane 2 at the same time as someone from lane 3 have all come to nothing as I was just drifting over gently enough to drift back again with no drama, or the car driver noticed my indicator or that I’d come over the line and they back off.

We don’t need more spy kit, or more equipment to take the job of driving away from the driver. We don’t even need stricter testing, we need drivers to start driving properly.

If BigParcelCo give you a run that’s timed to the minute, and you’ll have to be on the limiter the whole way… just be a bit late and drive smoothly and safely.

I can’t remember the full quote now, but it goes something like this: “There are two simple measures that would dramatically increase road safety. 1. Remove the driver’s seatbelt and 2. Install a spike in the centre of the steering wheel.”

Lot of truth in that. . . But after we get in that vehicle for the umpteenth time, on the third day, of the fifth week of driving it, we wont even see the spike anymore, and will have forgotten about seat belts long ago. We would become to see that set up as normal. And some (the truly dangerous ones) will "know" that "itll never happen to me". They may pay lip service to safety etc but their actions show otherwise.
We all* need to stand back sometimes and look at ourselves, all of us, and ask if we are still driving with a good attitude. We know how to drive well, but too often don`t. Only small corners cut at first, but as that becomes the norm we cut more and more…
None of us are immune.

*Obviously Im exempt, as Im a perfect driver.

Although having all these electronic safety aids on modern vehicles looks very attractive it does lead many into a false sense of well-being.
I find people ,especially car drivers , fail to be aware of their surroundings due to being cocooned in a very comfortable box . The duty of actually driving is not their first priority.
Most car drivers are driving because they have to , they have little choice over it and have had very very little PROPER training or instruction. They’re taught to pass the driving test not how to drive properly .
99% will have had no further education in motoring or driving after passing the test and never have their faults or bad habits corrected .
Pride in driving is rapidly becoming something from the past .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Now although some car drivers seem to have an annoying ability to sit in the worst possible place when beside a LHD truck, it does come down to the truck driver to know what is or might be there. We’re supposed to be the professionals and we are likely to know more about the problem of visibility than a car driver.

Most sensible statement so far.

I drive left hookers on a regular basis and have never has a problem but that is probably because I am extremely cautious about the dumb car drivers that do not have a clue about trucks.
I have patience and know when to back off and wait.
I would guess most of the accidents are caused by impatience and not checking properly.

I’m a crap driver but what I am good at is anticipating the actions of other road users and also controlling my emotions in potential hot spot situations.

Currently playing a little game with myself on how many vehicles I can let in from the slip road in heavy traffic without stopping my truck and just trickling along. Was at 5 until yesterday when an Audi launched it across the hatchings and tried to hit me making my new record 6.

I drive a LHD all the time and do multi drop when I ship back into the UK, yes the check all three mirrors, then check again and once more as you pull out just to be sure works, but when on busy m/ways when your double checking your mirrors some muppet may have come from lane 3 into lane 1 in front of you and is braking hard so they can come off at the junction up ahead.
when you drive a left ■■■■■■ it’s easy to see how many people are bad drivers because they carry phones on their knees ready to reply to the next text, or are in conversation on phones, when someone slows down in front of you 60% have just taken a call, they are very surprised to see someone running along side them in a truck looking down on them.
we have gone from being good drivers to the worst in europe in a very short space of time.

I had a lhd truck pull out a layby infront of me the other day, luckily nothing was coming up outside me in lane 2 in my truck or it wouldn’t have ended well. They are just ■■■■ heads at times, ive seen another watching youtube on the dash as well, thats in the space of 3 weeks…

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk