LHD Seddon-Atkinson 400s

tiptop495:
Hey Robert here a Lecloux Seddon, but never seen a SA cabbed here, but the motorshow
model must have been sold as te Krupp cabbed.They even imported a time Berliet at Hocké.

Cheers Eric,

nice one! Robert :slight_smile:

Spot on Eric! No Alzenheimer for me, not yet…tank-transport in its early days!

Hocké had good business (even assembly) with M.A.N. and together with Steyr now Seddon Atkinson
was in the pocket of the salesmen…I don not recall Belgian nor Dutch operators with SA but will do
my best to check anyway…some bells are ringing with Transports Lecloux (tanktransport) as
they also were operators of M.A.N. and some exotic makes like White…who can tell.

ERF-Continental:
Spot on Eric! No Alzenheimer for me, not yet…tank-transport in its early days!

Hocké had good business (even assembly) with M.A.N. and together with Steyr now Seddon Atkinson
was in the pocket of the salesmen…I don not recall Belgian nor Dutch operators with SA but will do
my best to check anyway…some bells are ringing with Transports Lecloux (tanktransport) as
they also were operators of M.A.N. and some exotic makes like White…who can tell.

I’m sure it was all conducted over a glass or two at lunch-time, as you have already suggested! And jolly good too: I can’t fault their modus operandi. Robert :laughing:

Hiya,heres one I took coming off the ferry from the Greek mainland landing on the island of Zante…just a bit different I thought,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Brilliant find Mr B! Just a remark and question…the rear (4th) axle was a lift one? Standard or
did Viberti/Orlandi (of Italy) did their modification-job? A-J

hey tim pinney u still out there :smiley:

I have just been reminded on another thread that the SA 400 did NOT have the dreaded cable-change gears (something I’d forgotten). This rockets the SA 400 LHD ■■■■■■■ NTC 335 / Fuller 9-speed model right into my top category of preferred long-haul tractive units (along with similarly equipped ERFs of the period and Ford Transcons etc).

Here is a picture of an LHD 400 being trialled in USA by International Harvester. The photo is from Patrick Dyer’s excellent book, Seddon Atkinson at Work, published by Old Pond. Robert :smiley:

SA400 LHD US.jpg

This is the book I referred to. It’s high on detail and information (but there is very little about the LHD version in it). Robert

iyi.JPG

Here’s a potential new breakthrough with the LHD SA400. I stumbled upon this image of the front cover of a Truck magazine (July '78) showing the contenders for one of their Euro Tests. When I looked closely, I realised that Seddon-Atkinson 400 is the LHD version. Here below is the cover of the magazine; and I have expanded the SA picture so that you can see it more detail. If anyone has this mag, it would be nice to see what Truck had to say about the old girl! Robert :smiley:

LHD SA400 EuroTest.jpg

Robert
I,ll look it up tomorrow. I remember that they had problems coupling up to the test trailer and had to use a wide spread tamden trailer instead running at 36tonnes. By the way Truck also tested a Foden S95 fleetmaster i think sometime in 1979. Off to bed now ,up at 1.45am. Talk soon.

robert1952:
Here’s a potential new breakthrough with the LHD SA400. I stumbled upon this image of the front cover of a Truck magazine (July '78) showing the contenders for one of their Euro Tests. When I looked closely, I realised that Seddon-Atkinson 400 is the LHD version. Here below is the cover of the magazine; and I have expanded the SA picture so that you can see it more detail. If anyone has this mag, it would be nice to see what Truck had to say about the old girl! Robert :smiley:

Evening all,Robert, I hope that someone has the original, and can post Pats results on here. From memory, the SA400 proved , (with
its ■■■■■■■■■ speed combination, in a lightish chassis), to be the equal of the others…and better overall…But…a complete “lash up”, in terms of preparation for the Test.

No, she would not couple to the standard Trailor Savoyard…I think that something was found, (with poor brakes), from a TDG subsidiary), from memory the Seddon lads did not have a clue about what they were shooting at! Yet no person should criticise their efforts…only those of the poor management back in Lancashire…what a load of “plonkers” , they really had no idea about the potential market that was available to them. Perhaps they just wanted a good write up for their UK customer base…heaven only knows!..UK Managerial skills!!!

“We”, shadowed this Euro Test with a pre production PS30, and she shone like the brightest star ever, (made the 78 contenders results look positively pedestrian)!..and put ourselves forward for the 79 version…But Paris dictated no PS 30…but the TR305, ex “Raid Economie en Europe” would be the selected vehicle…and she was great…and that is how I got the mother and father of all Bollickings, another story for another time!

But I can well remember when we, (in disguise as a SM300 V8, with its grille and badges on the PS30), romped past Pat driving in the red Magirus just outside Spa, he knew it was not a SM…but I never told him until 79!! Happy days, when life was real fun…

Pat, I raise my glass to you, as a journalist , truly you were the equal of my evening Bollinger…Sante.

Cheerio for now.

Saviem:

robert1952:

Evening all,Robert, I hope that someone has the original, and can post Pats results on here. From memory, the SA400 proved , (with
its ■■■■■■■■■ speed combination, in a lightish chassis), to be the equal of the others…and better overall…But…a complete “lash up”, in terms of preparation for the Test.

No, she would not couple to the standard Trailor Savoyard…I think that something was found, (with poor brakes), from a TDG subsidiary), from memory the Seddon lads did not have a clue about what they were shooting at! Yet no person should criticise their efforts…only those of the poor management back in Lancashire…what a load of “plonkers” , they really had no idea about the potential market that was available to them. Perhaps they just wanted a good write up for their UK customer base…heaven only knows!..UK Managerial skills!!!

“We”, shadowed this Euro Test with a pre production PS30, and she shone like the brightest star ever, (made the 78 contenders results look positively pedestrian)!..and put ourselves forward for the 79 version…But Paris dictated no PS 30…but the TR305, ex “Raid Economie en Europe” would be the selected vehicle…and she was great…and that is how I got the mother and father of all Bollickings, another story for another time!

But I can well remember when we, (in disguise as a SM300 V8, with its grille and badges on the PS30), romped past Pat driving in the red Magirus just outside Spa, he knew it was not a SM…but I never told him until 79!! Happy days, when life was real fun…

Pat, I raise my glass to you, as a journalist , truly you were the equal of my evening Bollinger…Sante.

Cheerio for now.

You are probably right there, Saviem: UK management away with the fairies. Alas, that SA 400 should have done better overseas. I don’t know about the test vehicle, but I (and others) have shown on this thread a unit with good cab, a powerful 335 ■■■■■■■ and a well-proven, indistructable gearbox (Fuller 9). The good news is that we may get to see Pat Kennett’s findings yet on this thread, for there are copies of the magazine out there, ripe for scanning! Robert :slight_smile:

The Truck magazine EuroTests were probably some of the very best truck journalism ever written. The amount of information contained therein was simply staggering. You may also be interested in trying to obtain a copy of Truck June 75 & Dec 75 when no less than 11 trucks were ‘EuroTested’…these included the Daf 2800 DKS, Volvo F89 and the Mercedes 1932. Also in the 11 was the ERF NGC with the Cu335 and a Ford Trancon with the same engine.
In 1977 another 6 were EuroTested including a Bedford TM with the Detroit engine along with another Transcontinental, a Fiat 170, a MAN 280, Scania 111 and from Britain the ERF B Series Cu290. And the cost of all this information?..a whopping 25p.
Unfortunately i’m not able to scan all these mags but their well worth trying to find if your able.

Mark R:
The Truck magazine EuroTests were probably some of the very best truck journalism ever written. The amount of information contained therein was simply staggering. You may also be interested in trying to obtain a copy of Truck June 75 & Dec 75 when no less than 11 trucks were ‘EuroTested’…these included the Daf 2800 DKS, Volvo F89 and the Mercedes 1932. Also in the 11 was the ERF NGC with the Cu335 and a Ford Trancon with the same engine.
In 1977 another 6 were EuroTested including a Bedford TM with the Detroit engine along with another Transcontinental, a Fiat 170, a MAN 280, Scania 111 and from Britain the ERF B Series Cu290. And the cost of all this information?..a whopping 25p.
Unfortunately i’m not able to scan all these mags but their well worth trying to find if your able.

You’re right. I scanned and posted the ERF NGC 1975 EuroTest on the ERF European thread last year. Robert :slight_smile:

At last! I found a copy of TRUCK magazine July 1978 on ebay. The LHD Seddon-Atkinson 400 in the Euro Test had a ■■■■■■■ E290 14-litre big cam lump and a 9-speed Fuller box. Here are some pictures I’ve blown up from the test. Robert :smiley:

And here is an advert for the LHD SA 400 elsewhere in the mag. Robert :slight_smile:

Yikes! I’ve had a more thorough read of this Euro Test. It gives a brilliant insight into how the Fuller box and the ■■■■■■■ coped in the '70s. Only one (Volvo) unit in the whole test DID’NT have a Fuller 'box! It’s a great read; so good that I’ve decided to do what I did on the ERF European 1975 thread, and share the complete Euro Test with you. :smiley: Robert