LHD Seddon-Atkinson 400s

ERF-Continental:
Not to make things more worse…here a 1974-leaflet in which ■■■■■■■ ‘highlights’ the Seddon prototype.
Strange as by the same date the Seddon Atkinson 400-series was announced at Amsterdam 1974 Show. To
my opinion a very promissing truck without involving the merge.

Well the ■■■■■■■ NTC-335 was there…as with the Leyland Marathon, the Foden, the ERF and so on.

The leaflet comes from the CDB-legacy…remember that they represented ■■■■■■■ since 1936 in Belgium

Leaves the question what an operator could do with a day-cabbed tractor with an NTC335 aboard…

ERF-Continental:

ERF-Continental:
Not to make things more worse…here a 1974-leaflet in which ■■■■■■■ ‘highlights’ the Seddon prototype.
Strange as by the same date the Seddon Atkinson 400-series was announced at Amsterdam 1974 Show. To
my opinion a very promissing truck without involving the merge.

Well the ■■■■■■■ NTC-335 was there…as with the Leyland Marathon, the Foden, the ERF and so on.

The leaflet comes from the CDB-legacy…remember that they represented ■■■■■■■ since 1936 in Belgium

Leaves the question what an operator could do with a day-cabbed tractor with an NTC335 aboard…

Unless running at 50-tonnes gross in Limborg? :smiley:

Not LHD, I know. But this clip shows that the domestic RHD certainly found favour with some operators!

OIP.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
Not LHD, I know. But this clip shows that the domestic RHD certainly found favour with some operators!

‘‘Perfect’’.Told you so. :wink: :smiley:

What reg is that Ro ?.

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

What reg is that Ro ?.

Can’t see the reg in the picture. I think thee and me agreed a long time ago that the LHD 335-powered SA400 (and even the LHD E290) was a decent contender for the mid-'70s Eurotruck prize. And Jazzandy drove one of OHS’s examples on a long-haul trip and rated it highly - indeed, I spoke to him very recently about that. However, a lot of niggles beset the 400, most of which were sorted by the time the 401 came out. The V-reg 400 I drove certainly lacked the refinement of the foreign rivals. It wasn’t perhaps the best example, being a 32-tonner with a ■■■■■■■ 250 and Fuller RTO9509 box in it, which was deffo not the cleverest installation. With bit of higher-quality everything, it should have been a brilliant truck. But it was a British workhorse with plenty to recommend it to the accountant and little to recommend it to the driver. I’d love to drive the same unit tomorrow and see if I’d change my mind! I’d drive anything with Fuller 9 so that’d be a good start!

Ro

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

What reg is that Ro ?.

Can’t see the reg in the picture. I think thee and me agreed a long time ago that the LHD 335-powered SA400 (and even the LHD E290) was a decent contender for the mid-'70s Eurotruck prize. And Jazzandy drove one of OHS’s examples on a long-haul trip and rated it highly - indeed, I spoke to him very recently about that. However, a lot of niggles beset the 400, most of which were sorted by the time the 401 came out. The V-reg 400 I drove certainly lacked the refinement of the foreign rivals. It wasn’t perhaps the best example, being a 32-tonner with a ■■■■■■■ 250 and Fuller RTO9509 box in it, which was deffo not the cleverest installation. With bit of higher-quality everything, it should have been a brilliant truck. But it was a British workhorse with plenty to recommend it to the accountant and little to recommend it to the driver. I’d love to drive the same unit tomorrow and see if I’d change my mind! I’d drive anything with Fuller 9 so that’d be a good start!

Ro

The Brits did themselves no favours by pandering to the poverty spec NA die hards.Volvo and Scania wouldn’t have stood for it nor should SA etc.
You really weren’t going to find much that could beat that combination of decent cab and turbocharged ■■■■■■■ by the standards of mid to late 1970’s.
As for any snags mainly what I’ve seen is a few ergonomic issues and they all had their quirks from column shift, to splitter control on the dash, or the opposite gearshift gate in the case of DAF 2800, or even the RTO shift pattern.
The SA and the Bedford TM seemed ahead on points at that stage.Two second to none worthy contenders. :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:
With bit of higher-quality everything…

Ro

If you ever do a book about the demise of GB’s lorry-building industry, that is the title.

BTW, I zoomed in on the pic, and it looks like a V plate on it. That grille style came in on the T, IIRC.

Wonder where this one was destined. It has a Kysor a/c on the roof; and so does the one next to it. Looks like the batch that went to OHS. Ro

96ad9ac0fa45114e069763a9a301f024.jpg

The new replacement for a Ford Transcontinental, they had a smaller cab but had good brakes and a modern electrical system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ERF-NGC-European:
Wonder where this one was destined. It has a Kysor a/c on the roof; and so does the one next to it. Looks like the batch that went to OHS. Ro

Possibly a trade show somewhere,I spotted a Caterpillar logo on a brand new bit of plant in the background.

David

Seddon Atkinson 400 LHD brochure.

Click on pages twice to read.

There’s an OHS one on the train :wink:

That’s an eagle eye you have, Rowena.

Interesting pic, at least for the following reasons:

1. Lots of GB motors on it.
  2. Lots of yellow tilts, all seemingly from the same fleet.
  3. The Crusader looks like it’s chucking out some clag, but there is no sign of a stack on the left of it. Would an RHD tractor normally have a single stack on the right?

Focus that avian eye on the vehicle boarding the train behind the SA- is it an OHS Mack? Maybe one of those is responsible for the soot on the Scammell’s trailer? I reckon all the wagons are working on the same job.

[zb]
anorak:
That’s an eagle eye you have, Rowena.

Interesting pic, at least for the following reasons:

1. Lots of GB motors on it.
  2. Lots of yellow tilts, all seemingly from the same fleet.
  3. The Crusader looks like it’s chucking out some clag, but there is no sign of a stack on the left of it. Would an RHD tractor normally have a single stack on the right?

Focus that avian eye on the vehicle boarding the train behind the SA- is it an OHS Mack? Maybe one of those is responsible for the soot on the Scammell’s trailer? I reckon all the wagons are working on the same job.

Yes indeed: this pic shows some hidden gems! I spy with my little eye an Olins Overland Crusader from London. I think they ran 15 Scammells on that Middle-East work. Then peeping behind the Merc NG on the train is one of OHS’s LHD Sed-Atki 400s with the ■■■■■■■ NTC 335 in, as I said. Behind that appears to be an OHS Mack, as you suggest. I love picture like this!

ERF-NGC-European:
… I love picture like this!

Merry Christmas!
trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 5&t=171111

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:
… I love picture like this!

Merry Christmas!
trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 5&t=171111

:sunglasses:

OHS LHD Seddons.(1977)

me ohs seddons 77.PNG

DEANB:
OHS LHD Seddons.(1977)

Excellent find Dean! We have that picture but not the caption. It both confirms and adds to what we know. Interesting about the trailers too. :sunglasses:

DEANB:
OHS LHD Seddons.(1977)

I hate to be pedantic but in fact I ordered these trucks direct from Seddon Atkinson. They were specked by Orhan Sertel, the owner of OHS. Peter Martin was a good friend and was marketing manager of OHS until his untimely and sudden death. He supplied the publicity which is why they used his name. SA even arranged the paint jobs which was quite unusual in those days and I managed to screw up the colour on the first one which was Royal Blue instead of the standard much lighter Orient colour.