LHD Leyland Marathons

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Middle East Marathon.

That’s a big chunky-looking thing - most U.K. drivers with a Marathon didn’t get the full depth sleeper like this

It looks wider to me not the standard width Marathon

A couple of new ones on here for Stevie Jones!

45587817874_2dae10d76e.jpg

In the row of ‘happy few’ I regard this Leyland very qualified for the ME-job!

ERF NGC, DAF F2800, Scania LB140, Volvo F88/89 should rank in either sequence

1891188_258472874329560_1881037060_n.jpg

How long did the BRS venture into M/E work last. Very short lived wasnt it ?

Suedehead:
How long did the BRS venture into M/E work last. Very short lived wasnt it ?

Yes indeed. But that may well have said more about BRS than the Marathons :wink:

One of the ex brs marathons ended up with Tom Varleys at Gisburn, hauling steam stuff about, bizarrely there is a fake steering wheel at the rhd side. Last saw it in the 1980s

Steve

vwvanman0:

One of the ex brs marathons ended up with Tom Varleys at Gisburn, hauling steam stuff about, bizarrely there is a fake steering wheel at the rhd side. Last saw it in the 1980s

Steve

Is it my eyesight, or is that drive axle hub a bit sticky outey ?

Suedehead:

vwvanman0:

Steve

Is it my eyesight, or is that drive axle hub a bit sticky outey ?

Certainly does look not quite right. That outer rear wheel looks like a three piece rim, perhaps an old set of 900 x 20’s (think the wheel dish would fit over the hub) plonked on just to keep it mobile.

Tyneside

0283courtesyoftncommercialphotography.jpg

This is it on page 1 of this thread, looks sticky out here too.

Steve

vwvanman0:

Steve

What is that on the drivers door, below the window ?

Suedehead:

vwvanman0:

Steve

What is that on the drivers door, below the window ?

There was some discussion about this on another thread some time ago. IIRC it was to do with deflecting muck from the mirrors.

1978 clipping.

Click on pages twice to read.

Great article that, there are no 3 axle drawbar pics in this thread so i wonder where they ended up and who operated them, 3 axle with a drawbar trailer would have been an impressive outfit.

Steve

vwvanman0:
Great article that, there are no 3 axle drawbar pics in this thread so i wonder where they ended up and who operated them, 3 axle with a drawbar trailer would have been an impressive outfit.

Steve

I would imagine that it would have had very limited useful application as it was extra long for a drawbar prime-mover and would have had to have pulled a very short trailer in order to remain within length restrictions. At the Belgian/Dutch borders they often measured drawbar outfits and fined the drivers for overlength ones (including me on one occasion! :cry: ).

I would hope the customer that ordered it would have some idea of the length limits in the operating area?

But then again they bought a Leyland product so maybe weren’t too clued up!! :slight_smile:

(Disclaimer, i would love a marathon so must be a loon myself)

PXL_20211218_202849142.MP.jpg

Whilst avoiding the strictly final catching up with a recent magazine purchase, found this…

1976 commercial motor Earls court show report tells of a LHD 6x4 marathon on display with a bed that goes front to back!?!

Never heard of this before.

Steve

This Dutch company clearly liked their Leylands!

ERF-NGC-European:
This Dutch company clearly liked their Leylands!

I’m guessing that’s a Mandator on the right with Leyland putting their name across the bottom for export models