LHD Leyland Marathons

Early posts (2014) favour ■■■■■■■■ but some pro-MX opinions start to filter in more recently. It is as if the market is simply taking time to adjust to the new product.
thetruckersreport.com/truck … 107/page-5

One post refers to trucks with the in-house engine having a cheaper purchase price.

I expect some of that is true.The fuel economy is very good on the MX admittedly.ISX has never been brilliant with fuel econom.EGR caused some head aches,I cant really see the need of it when Urea is now readily accepted.Where the MX will gain ground is in maintenance times,top end sets now only consist of valve clearances as against early ISX where injector preload has to be set to.The average workshop personal may find the valve train a bit daunting on ISX.I think the limiting factor will be MX reliability which even in the UK is not brilliant.

I’ve got a few friends running MXs with big miles on them, so far so good, they’ve had a few minor emission problems, but overall they’re a solid engine. They are not the best pullers, but give decent mpg, comparable with a series 60 Detroit.

The ISX on the other hand, that can be a world of pain, if you get a good one, they’re a beast, but a bad one is a complete disaster and from the people I know that have them, bad ones are more common. The turbo and EGR system are the main culprits, although there was a batch of the old twin cam version that wiped out the cam lobes for fun, they also had a fuel pump problem, a ceramic part used to self destruct and cause lots of damage internally.

I have a friend with a 550hp 2050lbft ISX that has been trouble free, I also know a bloke that has spent over $100,000 on repairs over the last three years on a 485hp 1850lbft ISX, turbo, EGR and injector problems mainly. Not a gamble I would be willing to take.

My next truck will have an MX under the bonnet, unless I can build another glider with a 6NZ CAT at a reasonable cost. I’m waiting to see if I can get a 579 rolling glider, that should be cheaper than the long nose Pete to start with and may make it make financial sense.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

…and the link to this thread is- MX engines trundle down the production line at Leyland, every day. :smiley: :laughing:

[zb]
anorak:
…and the link to this thread is- MX engines trundle down the production line at Leyland, every day. :smiley: :laughing:

And unlike the TL12 putting out up to around 140 lb/ft per litre using a 6.3 inch stroke. :bulb: :wink:

While unlike historically in the case of ■■■■■■■ no UK involvement in the actual engine manufacture ?. :frowning:

railstaff:
In fairness to Detroit they had the job sorted before ■■■■■■■ did with the 12.7 DDEC(60).The rumour was a few ■■■■■■■ USA design engineers defected to Detroit and the 60 was born.

I’ve been led to believe, the series 60 was actually a ■■■■■■■ design for John Deere tractors and such, thought to be too complicated the design was flogged off on the cheap to Detroit Diesels, owned at the time by Roger Penske.

[zb]
anorak:
…and the link to this thread is- MX engines trundle down the production line at Leyland, every day. :smiley: [emoji38]

Don’t forget the LHD part, my friends with MXs all have left hookers. On topic, beyond any doubt.

newmercman:

railstaff:
In fairness to Detroit they had the job sorted before ■■■■■■■ did with the 12.7 DDEC(60).The rumour was a few ■■■■■■■ USA design engineers defected to Detroit and the 60 was born.

I’ve been led to believe, the series 60 was actually a ■■■■■■■ design for John Deere tractors and such, thought to be too complicated the design was flogged off on the cheap to Detroit Diesels, owned at the time by Roger Penske

There seems to have been a year 1987 between Detroit introducing the 60 series v the Penske deal 1988 ?.Ironically ■■■■■■■ probably rightly thought that the transition from pushrod design to CIH/OHC was a step too far.Understandably not realising that if it had to be that then the 60 series was somehow going to turn out to be one of the best options.It’s anyone’s guess how someone with a car racing background of all people would have noticed the 60 series as being a good bet in that regard.While ■■■■■■■ then went on to prove itself right with its later types problems. :confused:

Not wanting to get in to a debate of my dad is bigger than your dad.I cant disagree with the above.Some Signatures have been shocking,cam problems,egr coolers blocking up,dropped valves all early DOHC models.Seems to stem from the VNT failing.Some are good,some are very bad.

Leyland photo.

Click on once.

One for Stevejones here! Could that be a pair of BRS Marathons parked at the far end of the row of lorries on the right? Click on pic to enlarge. Robert :sunglasses:

ERF-NGC-European:
One for Stevejones here! Could that be a pair of BRS Marathons parked at the far end of the row of lorries on the right? Click on pic to enlarge. Robert :sunglasses:

Well spotted Robert,I can see the red and white arrow signage on the first one!!,definitely BRS.

David

revman:

Thats a strange 1 , a 1979 MK1 Marathon , ive just checked on the DVLA and it worked up until 1991 and was registered in 1979

Some brilliant pics here of LHD Marathons on Middle-East work :wink: . Robert :sunglasses:

baumaschinenbilder.de/forum/ … 0&page=187

ramone:

revman:

Thats a strange 1 , a 1979 MK1 Marathon , ive just checked on the DVLA and it worked up until 1991 and was registered in 1979

And a daycab left ■■■■■■ too!

David

Imported vehicles used to be given a reg plate from the year of registration in the uk, someone has imported that mk1 marathon in 1979.

One of my teachers had an early 70 vw camper that she had imported and it was given a 1983 reg number.

Its all changed nowadays though.

Also that lhd marcmoor marathon was in one of the classic magazines for sale for quite a sum maybe 10-15 years ago,not seen it since.

Steve

Heres one i saw working the fairs in France 1990, though in my excitement i managed to not get it all in the photo!!

Steve.

vwvanman0:
Imported vehicles used to be given a reg plate from the year of registration in the uk, someone has imported that mk1 marathon in 1979.

One of my teachers had an early 70 vw camper that she had imported and it was given a 1983 reg number.

Its all changed nowadays though.

Also that lhd marcmoor marathon was in one of the classic magazines for sale for quite a sum maybe 10-15 years ago,not seen it since.

Steve

Nice 1 that makes sense

hi robert yes tks could well be our kid been of for while stuck in snowstorm in n.carolina interstate closed was lucky made it to t.stop tks again