LHD LAD-cab Leylands

Currently for sale on ebay.

Steve

Another from the net, nmp

Steve

vwvanman0:

Steve

Nice one vwvanman! It appears to be Danish if the number plate is anything to go by and it’s carrying Swedish ASG stickers. Sleeper cab. The Danes seem to have liked these LAD Leylands if you scroll back thro’ the thread. Great pic! :sunglasses:

ERF-NGC-European:

vwvanman0:

Steve

Nice one vwvanman! It appears to be Danish if the number plate is anything to go by and it’s carrying Swedish ASG stickers. Sleeper cab. The Danes seem to have liked these LAD Leylands if you scroll back thro’ the thread. Great pic! :sunglasses:

Hello everyone,

Thank you for having accepted me on your very interesting forum. I was just an anonymous French reader so far…

Though I am not a driver (neither active or retired), I’m interested in « exotic » lorries which found their way to France. And well, I’m considering these LAD Leylands as really exotic among the exotics from my French point of view.

I’m not only sorry for my English, but I’m also sorry to contradict ERF-NGC-European about his comment regarding the wonderful photo posted by vwvanman0 above : it’s by no way a Danish LAD, but a French example (with a 1964 registration) belonging to Transports Dobelle in Amiens, who were Hotchkiss (and Bernard) customers. Note the Michelin XAS sticker in the centre on the windscreen and the Saviem SG4 or SG5 on the background.

To be honest, I don’t really understand why someone on this thread made the erroneous assumption that only one artic LAD Beaver with sleeper cab was ever sold in France… Although I have to acknowledge that they remained very rare birds on our roads, several examples were actually sold via Hotchkiss distributors to French customers.

Hoping to convince you, here is another nice example belonging to Transports Giannotti & Vicari in the Alpes-Maritimes department (Nice area), with a registration number dating from 1964 again. This pic comes from a French FB group :

Hope you’ll enjoy it…

Best Regards,

Philippe

Most of you probably knew this pic already (this time an Hippo chassis I presume, with the short cab). But in case of…

Imgur

How many L A D cabs where made :astonished: does any body know

PHR:

ERF-NGC-European:
To be honest, I don’t really understand why someone on this thread made the erroneous assumption that only one artic LAD Beaver with sleeper cab was ever sold in France… Although I have to acknowledge that they remained very rare birds on our roads, several examples were actually sold via Hotchkiss distributors to French customers.

Like I said in the original post, those numbers were quotes from an article about the topic in the French Charge Utile magazine. At the time of the post I only knew of the one tractor in the white and red livery, which was photographed on several occasions. So thanks for posting that additional picture and also kudos to vwvanman0 for the picture of the third one. With those pictures known it can clearly be stated that there have been more than one, of course. Since then I had also found another one myself, so that makes at least 4 in total:

PHR:

ERF-NGC-European:

vwvanman0:

Steve

Hello everyone,

Thank you for having accepted me on your very interesting forum. I was just an anonymous French reader so far…

Though I am not a driver (neither active or retired), I’m interested in « exotic » lorries which found their way to France. And well, I’m considering these LAD Leylands as really exotic among the exotics from my French point of view.

I’m not only sorry for my English, but I’m also sorry to contradict ERF-NGC-European about his comment regarding the wonderful photo posted by vwvanman0 above : it’s by no way a Danish LAD, but a French example (with a 1964 registration) belonging to Transports Dobelle in Amiens, who were Hotchkiss (and Bernard) customers. Note the Michelin XAS sticker in the centre on the windscreen and the Saviem SG4 or SG5 on the background.

Hoping to convince you, here is another nice example belonging to Transports Giannotti & Vicari in the Alpes-Maritimes department (Nice area), with a registration number dating from 1964 again. This pic comes from a French FB group :

Hope you’ll enjoy it…

Best Regards,

Philippe

Welcome indeed on this Forum, Philippe. We’re a handful of French contributors here, including myself (registered 7 years ago). Leyland LAD-cabbed trucks were imported by Hotchkiss, who added their logo under the windscreen. Here are several of them.

This one, recently put for sale on the “Bon coin”.

This one, registered in the DDR (East Germany)

A tipper belonging to a Rouen contractor.

This one, presently on demonstration.

A Colombo one at work, with a Willème behind it.

And another one.

PHR:

ERF-NGC-European:

vwvanman0:

Steve

Hello everyone,

Hope you’ll enjoy it…

Best Regards,

Philippe

An excellent contribution! Thank you :smiley: :sunglasses:

barreiros:

PHR:
Like I said in the original post, those numbers were quotes from an article about the topic in the French Charge Utile magazine. At the time of the post I only knew of the one tractor in the white and red livery, which was photographed on several occasions. So thanks for posting that additional picture and also kudos to vwvanman0 for the picture of the third one. With those pictures known it can clearly be stated that there have been more than one, of course. Since then I had also found another one myself, so that makes at least 4 in total:

Thank you very much barreiros. Furthermore, I really wonder if the 162 NS 77 (as far as I can read it) registrered example and the “Purina” one was one and the same. Some external details (blinkers, mirrors…) make me suspect that they were two different lorries actually…

I also suspect that the distinctive cream and red livery might have been the standard and factory colours for the Beaver artics that Hotchkiss distributed on the French market, hence the confusion.

PHR:

barreiros:

PHR:
I also suspect that the distinctive cream and red livery might have been the standard and factory colours for the Beaver artics that Hotchkiss distributed on the French market, hence the confusion.

Yes, I am thinking very similar after more information appeared over the last few years. I reckon that most of the artic units were brought in as demonstrator units sporting the white and red livery. That way, the Charge Utile numbers might even have been accurate, if they only counted the vehicles that had been individually ordered, but not the “second hand” demonstrator units. Another thing that speaks against my initial theory is that all the photos show registrations, transport companies or trailers from all over France. So my new theory is that the larger Hotchkiss dealers each got one demonstrator unit with the same specs and livery, but that they didn’t count as official sales as they might have been sold off as used vehicles at a discount.

However, I still might be wrong, I’m just going by the limited info I have at the moment.

Not exactly on topic, but here’s another Hotchkiss-Leyland, this one sporting a Pelpel cab though:

Thank you for these interesting comments, barreiros. All that makes sense. You may be right.

And thank you for the pic of the Pelpel-cabbed version, albeit I’m not a great fan of this late, economic and “multi makes” Pelpel design. The original LAD cab looked much more ■■■■ and exotic to me.

Leyland Chieftain with Pelpel cab.jpg
Here’s another Leyland Chieftain fitted with a slightly different Pelpel cab, rather poorly designed to my taste. I don’t think these were sold under the Leyland-Hotchkiss agreements, which must have ceased at that time.

Those Pelpel cabs have definitely been hit with the ugly stick, but I like them anyway. The cab is probably a lot roomier than the standard though with better visibility.

The photographer was there to shoot the Pacific and the Poclain excavator, obviously. But by chance (for us), a LAD-cabbed Leyland was there too… 1964 reg plate again (in the Oise department) for the Leyland, although the pic was taken in the 1970s according to the 1974 reg plate of the Pacific.

Judjing by its wheel arches, the Leyland doesn’t seem to be a Beaver chassis though. What is the opinion of the experts around there ? Clydesdale ?

Well before they acquired few Marathons, Walon had at least one LAD-cabbed Beaver among their versatile fleet, dedicated to the delivery of agricultural tractors. Registration in Paris dates from 1965 :

The very same vehicle again, this time with a cargo of Italian Same tractors replacing the Fords :

This last (and magnificent) photo had been posted on a Leyland Trucks FB group by a François Michel who is maybe contributing here too, under a pseudonym ?.. :unamused:

PHR:
The photographer was there to shoot the Pacific and the Poclain excavator, obviously. But by chance (for us), a LAD-cabbed Leyland was there too… 1964 reg plate again (in the Oise department) for the Leyland, although the pic was taken in the 1970s according to the 1974 reg plate of the Pacific.

Judjing by its wheel arches, the Leyland doesn’t seem to be a Beaver chassis though. What is the opinion of the experts around there ? Clydesdale ?

The Comet was the lighter artic.

Hmmm… Thank you for the answer, but the lower part of the cab here doesn’t match with the distinctive Comet version in my opinion.

Furthermore, the Comet was (theoretically) not part of the Hotchkiss-Leyland range. After a quick look at one of their commercial brochures, I’ve just seen that the lighter tractor version was marketed in France as the CHIEFTAIN (and the heavier Clydesdale only as a rigid).

PHR:
Well before they acquired few Marathons, Walon had at least one LAD-cabbed Beaver among their versatile fleet, dedicated to the delivery of agricultural tractors. Registration in Paris dates from 1965 :

The very same vehicle again, this time with a cargo of Italian Same tractors replacing the Fords :

This last (and magnificent) photo had been posted on a Leyland Trucks FB group by a François Michel who is maybe contributing here too, under a pseudonym ?.. :unamused:

Lovely pictures! We want more of them!
Yes, François regularly posts on some topics here; essentially Saviem’s Fan Club.