LHD Krupp-cabbed Atkinson CLT

Out of interest is there such a company left now that produces loose cabs in the UK such as motor panels?

Some chap on the Atkinson Vehicles site on Facebook is building a model as shown and he wants to know if anyone knows the original colour of the Atki in the b&w photo
So he can complete his model

gazsa401:
Some chap on the Atkinson Vehicles site on Facebook is building a model as shown and he wants to know if anyone knows the original colour of the Atki in the b&w photo

A nice project! I must say, I’d be interested too in what the demonstrator’s colour was. All my pics of it are in B&W and are posted on this thread. Good luck! Robert

gazsa401:

Grey.

Thanks Robert and anorak I’ll pass on your comments if that’s ok ?
Cheers Gary [emoji1303]

ERF-NGC-European:

gazsa401:

A nice project! I must say, I’d be interested too in what the demonstrator’s colour was. All my pics of it are in B&W and are posted on this thread. Good luck! Robert

I saw that too - the factory demonstrators and test vehicles at that time were a sort of grey-ish blue - this 44 tonner is from the same period (and, incidentally, survives today):

Atkinson T4566C by 240 Gardner, on Flickr

ERF-NGC-European:

CrashBox:
Well some of the images are a bit hazy but the one near Milan looks ok. By the way the picture in Chamonix
where I am standing on the bumper. The coat that I am wearing (the same as the one Bernie Stone has on)
were both purchased by Bernie in a small Boutique in Chamonix. Happy days.

John Blewitt.

John, these pictures are fantastic mate :sunglasses: ! Well worth waiting for. Many of the pics on this thread are of CLTs in factory condition so it’s really great to see photos of one hard at work on long-haul duties. Cheers :smiley: , Robert

Absolutely marvellous, thank you!

gazsa401:
Thanks Robert and anorak I’ll pass on your comments if that’s ok ?
Cheers Gary [emoji1303]

Go ahead! We’d love to see the finished product model if you get a moment. Cheers, Robert

Pic showing access panels to oil/water daily checks I presume. Chris

Scan0002.jpg

adr:
Pic showing access panels to oil/water daily checks I presume. Chris

Correct. Robert

A reminder that Atkinson was already onto the case even in earlier '60s with this LHD sleeper-cabbed continental hauler. Robert

eds%20194.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
A reminder that Atkinson was already onto the case even in earlier '60s with this LHD sleeper-cabbed continental hauler. Robert

Well back into the 1950s, actually! In fact I have a photo of a LHD Atkinson 8-legger chassis/scuttle on a motor show stand in 1951, complete with a large sleeper (and mattress!) and and extended cab underframe and back dash.

240 Gardner:

ERF-NGC-European:

Well back into the 1950s, actually! In fact I have a photo of a LHD Atkinson 8-legger chassis/scuttle on a motor show stand in 1951, complete with a large sleeper (and mattress!) and and extended cab underframe and back dash.

Even better! A good pedigree then. Robert :sunglasses:

240 Gardner:

ERF-NGC-European:

Any chance of putting it up here? :slight_smile:

[zb]
anorak:

240 Gardner:

ERF-NGC-European:

If I find it, yes!

Meanwhile, back on ebay… Robert

[zb]
anorak:

240 Gardner:

ERF-NGC-European:

Found it! Earls Court 1952:

Atkinson LL1588 by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

240 Gardner:

Thanks- it looks great.

1. I guess the front mudguards were just a sop to the law, to enable the lorry to be driven to the coachbuilder?
  2. Is that an 8LW engine? I can’t quite make out the text.
  3. The mattress looks like it came from a proper bed factory- very inviting.
  4. The locker has a window, so the thieves can see if there’s anything worth nicking! What a changed world we live in now. A mate of mine has given up Continental driving, citing the risk of crime- being gassed or used as a mule for illegal immigrants- in his decision.

[zb]
anorak:

240 Gardner:

Thanks- it looks great.

1. I guess the front mudguards were just a sop to the law, to enable the lorry to be driven to the coachbuilder?
  2. The mattress looks like it came from a proper bed factory- very inviting.
  3. The locker has a window, so the thieves can see if there’s anything worth nicking! What a changed world we live in now. A mate of mine has given up Continental driving, citing the risk of crime- being gassed or used as a mule for illegal immigrants- in his decision.
  1. I guess so
  2. Better than most sleeper mattresses before the 1970s!
  3. Indeed, how times have changed

240 Gardner:

[zb]
anorak:

240 Gardner:

ERF-NGC-European:

on Flickr

Great pic! A lot of good-quality things were born in 1952 :wink: - ahem. Robert