AEC Belgium 1964.

Click on page twice.

DEANB:

[zb]
anorak:
Thanks Dean, for another great article. :wink:

AEC Belgium 1964.

Click on page twice.

That’s a good find! The engine and gearbox info we got from Gingerfold earlier in the thread, but I’m quite surprised that they were seriously attending to external and internal noise levels in the cab by insulating. UK lorries weren’t so lucky in the 60s! R

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

[zb]
anorak:

AEC Belgium 1964.

Click on page twice.

That’s a good find! The engine and gearbox info we got from Gingerfold earlier in the thread, but I’m quite surprised that they were seriously attending to external and internal noise levels in the cab by insulating. UK lorries weren’t so lucky in the 60s! R

IIRC, it said in Ashley’s book that one of the drivers of the Astran Mk5 blamed his hearing damage on the vehicle. Given the intended use of the vehicle- IE in LHD countries, double-manned- it beggars belief that AEC did not defer to its Belgian office for the specification of it. A Bollekens Mk5 would have been a match for a Vabis LBS76, that operator’s next purchases, I would have thought. Of course, it’s water under the bridge, but…

AEC

aec bel1.PNG

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

[zb]
anorak:

AEC Belgium 1964.

Click on page twice.

IIRC, it said in Ashley’s book that one of the drivers of the Astran Mk5 blamed his hearing damage on the vehicle. Given the intended use of the vehicle- IE in LHD countries, double-manned- it beggars belief that AEC did not defer to its Belgian office for the specification of it. A Bollekens Mk5 would have been a match for a Vabis LBS76, that operator’s next purchases, I would have thought. Of course, it’s water under the bridge, but…

+1 :sunglasses:

AEC

aec bel p.PNG

DEANB:
AEC

Oh goody! That’s a much better version of the image already on this thread. I must say, I’d have liked to’ve got behind the wheel of that! Robert :sunglasses:

AEC

aec bel2 p.PNG

DEANB:
AEC

New pic: nice! Quite a short wheelbase, I notice. A longer one would have smoothed out those endless Continental roads better. R

AEC 1967.

Click on pages twice.

The b/w picture in the Belgian Shell article from the AEC Gazette is a ‘Super’ Mandator MkIII, model (Van Hool cab),conceived in Belgium (MOD legislation) for heavier loads, axles were by Timken.

A couple good clear (probably promo) pics!

Think its an AEC but for some reason they often badged them as Leylands but cant remember why ■■

Leyland Motors acquired ACV in 1962. AEC lorries were given the same “Ergomatic” cabs used across several Leyland marques (including Albion). The AEC name actually disappeared from commercial vehicles in 1977, but the Leyland Marathon was built at the Southall plant until British Leyland closed it in 1979, the production of Leyland (AEC) vehicles was transferred to remaining Leyland Truck and Bus plants.
British Leyland was a conglomerate formed in the United Kingdom in 1968 as British Leyland Motor Corporation Ltd (BLMC), following the merger of Leyland Motors and British Motor Holdings. It was partly nationalised in 1975.
The Belgian assembled AECs with Bollekens cab were at the end badged as BL.

mandator:
Leyland Motors acquired ACV in 1962. AEC lorries were given the same “Ergomatic” cabs used across several Leyland marques (including Albion). The AEC name actually disappeared from commercial vehicles in 1977, but the Leyland Marathon was built at the Southall plant until British Leyland closed it in 1979, the production of Leyland (AEC) vehicles was transferred to remaining Leyland Truck and Bus plants.
British Leyland was a conglomerate formed in the United Kingdom in 1968 as British Leyland Motor Corporation Ltd (BLMC), following the merger of Leyland Motors and British Motor Holdings. It was partly nationalised in 1975.
The Belgian assembled AECs with Bollekens cab were at the end badged as BL.

Thanks for the info Mandator ! :wink:

DEANB:
Think its an AEC but for some reason they often badged them as Leylands but cant remember why ■■

That one is an oddball for another reason- it has the raked 'screen of the earlier cabs, but has the Ergo front panel. Later Ergo-fronted ones had a vertical A-post:

mandator_tg4_1.jpg

Belgium. From another thread this week. R

Mk%20V%206.jpg

I worked for mr L.Van Gaever about 1968 .he was a great guy very well known all over Belgium.i remember he had a massive Cadillac Fleetwood. I traveled many miles in it with him and Mde Van Gaever.i always liked his AEC super mandator trucks . I still think even to this day they look the business

bobbie:
I worked for mr L.Van Gaever about 1968 .he was a great guy very well known all over Belgium.i remember he had a massive Cadillac Fleetwood. I traveled many miles in it with him and Mde Van Gaever.i always liked his AEC super mandator trucks . I still think even to this day they look the business

Welcome aboard Bobbie and thanks for your contribution. I agree those Mandators certainly looked the business! If you have any pictures to add, we’d love to see them. Ro