LHD Bollekens cabbed Mk V AECs

Just read the obituary for the (in)famous Red Robbo, who died yesterday aged 90. It says plenty about the union officials of the 1970s that Red Robbo is always remembered for his union activities of 40 years ago. I’d be hard pressed to name any of today’s trade union officials. Progress of sorts I suppose.

ERF-NGC-European:

coomsey:

ERF-NGC-European:
Notice that in both these examples - one a Mk V and the other an ergo-fronted design - the rear of the roof is raised to allow headroom for the bunk(s). While we were making day-cabbed AEC Mandators etc to keep the unions happy, the Continentals were providing the same AECs but with sleeper cabs, and in the case of the Belgian Bollekens sleeper below sleeper cabs with headroom for the bunk! :open_mouth: Robert

Well to my mind Robert it seems a crying shame A E C didn’t start fitting Bollekens cabs as standard/option. They had a proven lorry on their hands and with the times a changing a good motor to challenge the foreigners. So to take this a step further, assuming A E C could see the potential, would it be correct to say Leyland almost certainly wouldn’t allow it to happen. I’d imagine that would be correct. And could the lag behind foreign motors be laid at the unions door? Could the eventual collapse of the British lorry manufacturers be unions fault? Maybe too simple but food for thought. Maybe the answer will appear in the sleeper cab topic. Cheers Paul

The best answers to your questions can be found on the thread called ‘Why did British Leyland fail?’ If you sort through the crap on there, you’ll find some of the finest debate and well-informed opinion on this forum. Here’s the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=65419&hilit=why+did+British+Leyland+fail%3F

Robert

I’ve been there n non the wiser. Sorry a bit wiser! A E C n Bollekens look a winner to me. Where things end up is never a one off job, it’s a progression that will not stop. So nobody is to blame or congratulate. I’ve just had a C F moment. :smiley: Good looking motor whether or not

gingerfold:
Just read the obituary for the (in)famous Red Robbo, who died yesterday aged 90. It says plenty about the union officials of the 1970s that Red Robbo is always remembered for his union activities of 40 years ago. I’d be hard pressed to name any of today’s trade union officials. Progress of sorts I suppose.

Superb timing! Robert

coomsey:

ERF-NGC-European:

coomsey:

ERF-NGC-European:
Notice that in both these examples - one a Mk V and the other an ergo-fronted design - the rear of the roof is raised to allow headroom for the bunk(s). While we were making day-cabbed AEC Mandators etc to keep the unions happy, the Continentals were providing the same AECs but with sleeper cabs, and in the case of the Belgian Bollekens sleeper below sleeper cabs with headroom for the bunk! :open_mouth: Robert

Well to my mind Robert it seems a crying shame A E C didn’t start fitting Bollekens cabs as standard/option. They had a proven lorry on their hands and with the times a changing a good motor to challenge the foreigners. So to take this a step further, assuming A E C could see the potential, would it be correct to say Leyland almost certainly wouldn’t allow it to happen. I’d imagine that would be correct. And could the lag behind foreign motors be laid at the unions door? Could the eventual collapse of the British lorry manufacturers be unions fault? Maybe too simple but food for thought. Maybe the answer will appear in the sleeper cab topic. Cheers Paul

The best answers to your questions can be found on the thread called ‘Why did British Leyland fail?’ If you sort through the crap on there, you’ll find some of the finest debate and well-informed opinion on this forum. Here’s the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=65419&hilit=why+did+British+Leyland+fail%3F

Robert

I’ve been there n non the wiser. Sorry a bit wiser! A E C n Bollekens look a winner to me. Where things end up is never a one off job, it’s a progression that will not stop. So nobody is to blame or congratulate. I’ve just had a C F moment. :smiley: Good looking motor whether or not

I agree, Paul! If the superb Mk V Mandator with that Belgian sleeper cab had been in production in the UK we might have stolen a march on lesser offerings from overseas - but alas it wasn’t to be! Robert

tiptop495:
Hey,AEC Ergo cabbed Belgian Mandator.

Eric,

That must be one of the last Mandators 75/76 maybe?

ramone:

tiptop495:
Hey,AEC Ergo cabbed Belgian Mandator.

Eric,

That must be one of the last Mandators 75/76 maybe?

Hey Ramone,

Yes must be one of the last sold in Belgium, never seen the later MK III cab here as mandator, even as Leyland, think they made the step to the Maraton as the successor. First had an average selling, later as the import was in hands of Scania Belgium. It got a boost as lots of Scania byers bought many Maratons, but soon stopped to buy then even many cancelled the orders for Scania’s again. Many AEC Mandator drivers found the ride better as the Maraton in spite of the fixed cab.
Think as AEC had stayed independed, it would has been possible to stay 10 years more strong on the national marked. But with developemt of the models an bollekens of corse.
The most sold model as MK II and III
His pics shows the same tractor, and is still alive, pitty think it will be never restored;

Eric,

hold your horses, tiptop495 I think my former Mandator ex BP will be restored ‘one day’ when another project is finished :sunglasses:

mandator:
hold your horses, tiptop495 I think my former Mandator ex BP will be restored ‘one day’ when another project is finished :sunglasses:

Hey,

I hope it, it will be once restaured, can 't wait to see again chuch model on the road.

Eric,

The colour version! Robert

Belgian AECs nonetheless… Robert

And a proper Bollekens mark 5 :smiley: . Robert

Those at the Brussels show were the last ones with cabs made by Bollekens of Duffel (B)

mandator:
Those at the Brussels show were the last ones with cabs made by Bollekens of Duffel (B)

Ah yes, the ‘Ergo’ type cabs. Robert

Clearer picture taken from a slightly different angle! Robert

Hi,

To help some interested parties herewith an overview of different cabs made by Belgian coachbuilders on the AEC chassis.
For sure others will exist, I am interested to see your inputs :sunglasses:

mandator:
Hi,

To help some interested parties herewith an overview of different cabs made by Belgian coachbuilders on the AEC chassis.

A useful guide, thank you! Robert

overzichtDETAIL.jpg

aec%20focus%20690.jpg

mandator:
Hi,

We’re they more driver friendly than the English versions?

Hi,

I guess no driving differences, same gearbox and same platform. Maybe better heating and insulation… Sometimes different driver seats.

mandator:
Hi,

I guess no driving differences, same gearbox and same platform. Maybe better heating and insulation… Sometimes different driver seats.

Well i dont think the mkv AECs had heaters and they were very noisey and the ergos weren`t that much quieter but did have heaters but very draughty. I remember both as a kid … a very cold one :wink: