LGV DRIVER CPC

Edward Teller:
I do wish Limeyphil would stop messing about and tell us what he think’s about this.

About the same as everyone else by the looks of things.

The way I see it is I’m just starting out in the trade and, although I’m not doing bad, I’ve still got a lot to learn, you guys who have been doing it for three years or more shouldn’t have to do it, it’s rediculous!

Personally, I think once you get your license it should be a legal requirement to attend a course regarding some of the practicalities, i.e. securing the load, map reading (some people can’t) and driver’s hours in detail before you’re allowed to do it for a living- BUT if you’ve been doing it for a few years it’s stupid! I also think although I said it should be a legal requirement, there should be no charge (you’ve just paid thousands for your license after all).

limeyphil:
driver cpc?
i know what your up to. :wink:
your trying to get my back up arn’t you■■?
when i have to go to that class room , i’ll have a question for him.
“rope and sheet that trailer in the yard” git…
if you can’t your going in the fridge. tos pot pen pushing arse wipe jobs worth can’t get a proper job [zb] stabbing ■■■■ sucking shirt lifting uphill gardenining fudge packing git.

Phil, I’m from blackpool too so I’ll come on the same course as you just in case your man has a boyfriend who sharpens his pencils :laughing:

darkseeker:

Edward Teller:
I do wish Limeyphil would stop messing about and tell us what he think’s about this.

About the same as everyone else by the looks of things.

The way I see it is I’m just starting out in the trade and, although I’m not doing bad, I’ve still got a lot to learn, you guys who have been doing it for three years or more shouldn’t have to do it, it’s rediculous!

Personally, I think once you get your license it should be a legal requirement to attend a course regarding some of the practicalities, i.e. securing the load, map reading (some people can’t) and driver’s hours in detail before you’re allowed to do it for a living- BUT if you’ve been doing it for a few years it’s stupid! I also think although I said it should be a legal requirement, there should be no charge (you’ve just paid thousands for your license after all).

i am one of those oldtimer drivers darkseeker.
i amnot happy about this as it is me who will have to waste my own hard earned cash to pay for the 35 hrs training in 2014.

but i passed my test so long ago,i forget what truck i did it in.
you are fresh and shouldnt have to be paying out again.
this is another money generator for the training agencies.
another put their hand in your pocket scheme.
it wont improve road safety.
we get better as we drive more and gain experience,this is another farce.
i am glad i wont be doing any more than another 10 years or so.

i feel like packing in now although i have only returned after illness.
i can visualise myself getting tested by some 25 or 30 year old,and getting critisized.
i would want to knock him out not drive for him or her as the case may be.

An update…

I phoned 0115 9366306 (the office of a Mr D Shepherd) and got this DEFINITIVE reply from one of his staff…
I did ask 3 times in different ways to make sure the answers he gave me were the same and put what I am writing below to him in the same way that I am putting it on here.

There are 4 modules for the INITIAL LGV DRIVER CPC

Module 1 is almost the same as the current 2 part theory (questions and HPT) which must be completed before taking module 3.

Module 3 is the practical DSA test (the reversing, stopping and on-the-road driving bit - same as now but might be a bit more enhanced - SAFED etc)

Modules 2 & 4 are done after modules 1 & 3 - daft to me but thats what they said :exclamation: :exclamation:

Module 2 is the ‘case studies’

Module 4 is the ‘vehicle safety’

Once all 4 modules are completed then the driver needs to complete another 35 hours of ONGOING DRIVER CPC training before the 5 years is up from completing the INITIAL one.

The ONGOING modules will be different from the INITIAL modules.

skillsforlogistics.org/en/ja … #ext-gen74

What will the initial qualification involve?
It will involve 4 hours of theory testing and 2 hours of practical testing. (The test for driving licence acquisition currently comprises of a 1.5 hour theory test and 1.5 hour practical test. So the extra testing would be 2.5 hours of theory testing and 30 minutes of practical testing.) The tests must be at the equivalent of NVQ level 2.
DSA are introducing modular tests so that drivers can obtain their driving licence and CPC at the same time. The CPC syllabus covers the additional knowledge a professional driver needs to have; it is not just about practical driving skills.
The Theory test will be in 3 parts:
Module 1a - licence acquisition - 100 multiple choice questions
Module 1b - icence aquisition - 19 hazard perception clips
Module 2 - initial driver CPC - 3 case studies
The “Case studies” will be designed to suit the profile of the candidate and DSA is meeting both sectors to help develop the new tests. DSA envisages that the questions would be of the format where a situation or scenario was defined for the driver, and they are then asked questions relating to this situation. Case studies wherever possible will use diagrams, pictures and graphics.
Test presentation will be screen-based, like the theory test for driving licence acquisition, and will be delivered from existing theory test centres.
The Practical test will be in 2 parts:
Module 3 - licence acquisition - 1.5 hours of on-road practical testing
Module 4 - initial driver CPC - 0.5 hours of practical ‘show me, tell me’ test using a vehicle

I don’t know about you folks but the two lots of info do not quite match up - or is it me :question: :question:

What about those of us who know it all? are we exempt?.

jammymutt:
What about those of us who know it all? are we exempt?.

It looks the same to me

Module 1
Theory test 100 questions
Hazard perception test 19 clips Total test costs = £50.00

Module 2
Case study
Based on the knowledge you need to know to pass the theory test but the questions are based on a potential real live scenario.
Test cost = £30.00

Module 3
Practical driving test
Same as now but will last 10 mins longer
Test cost = £105.00 or £125.00 at weekends

Module 4
Practical demo test
30 mins of show me tell me questions. This will include “show me how to use this rachet strap”
Must take a test standard vehicle to the test
Test cost = £55.00

These tests will make new drivers more prepared to face the big wide world.

The 35 hours refresher training will make the industry better educated.
Look at some of the postings there is on the forum ref drivers hours rules and regs, working time directive etc and these guys call themselves professional drivers.

I would’nt mind betting that if the driving population where given a tacho test there would be some very poor results. This would count for the transport managers as well.

The thing that is a real money spinner (stealth tax) is the £8.75 upload charge that needs to be paid to add the details of each 7 hours training onto the goverment database. Lets think about this one, there could be 1 million bus and truck drivers in the UK (7.5t drivers minibus driver included) all needing to do on average 7 hours training each year.=

1,000,000 x £8.75 = £8.75 million pound generated each year.

All the goverment has to do is provide a database for this money.

I would like to see the justification for that :blush:

So where do i stand, will i have to take the cpc.

I am a street lighting erector.

Well, I think it will make us ALL better drivers! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I cant wait, to sit in a classroom with some nice looking woman in a suit telling me how to do it RIGHT! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Probably not

Your trade is a street light technician and it just so happens you have to drive a vehicle that is over 3.5t as part of your job.

This makes you an incidental driver and exempt from the drivers CPC.

However if your job was to drive these vehicles around delivering them from depot to depot then your prime job is a driver and you need to do the drivers CPC.

Or if you worked for an agency at the weekend you would need your drivers cpc.

My advice would be that if in doubt do it,

FROM HERE

There are exceptions from the Driver CPC qualification for drivers of vehicles:
- used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, for personal use;
- undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or of new or rebuilt vehicles which have not yet been put into service;
- used in the course of driving lessons for the purpose of enabling that person to obtain a driving licence or a Driver CPC;
- carrying material or equipment to be used by that person in the course of his or her work, provided that driving that vehicle does not constitute the driver’s principal activity*
- with a maximum authorised speed not exceeding 45 km/h;
- used by, or under the control of, the armed forces, civil defence, the fire service and forces responsible for maintaining public order;
- used in states of emergency or assigned to rescue missions
*An example of a driver under exemption vii (also known as “incidental driver”) would be a brick layer who drives a load of bricks from the builder’s yard to the building site and then spends their working day laying bricks. In this case, driving a lorry is incidental to their main occupation.
Drivers can move in and out of an exemption, depending on the circumstances in which they are driving. For example, a bus mechanic would be exempt while driving a bus to check that it had been repaired, but would need to hold a Driver CPC if they also drove a bus on a passenger carrying service.

i am agency driver. As far as i can see, if we do this CPC we lose out twice. We will have to pay for the course and lose a weeks pay!!

tortoise8796:
i am agency driver. As far as i can see, if we do this CPC we lose out twice. We will have to pay for the course and lose a weeks pay!!

Well, yes - 1 day per year

:bulb: :bulb: :bulb: It MIGHT be that canny agencies will offer free paid driver cpc at 1 day per year if the driver stays with them - that way they might retain more drivers :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Hi ROG
Just received my free copy of DSA DVD are your ready? professional edition LGV,PCV & driver CPC. Interesting. I think a few will bury their head in the sand for 5 years but then we will be quids in.

Latest News from skillsforlogistics.org/en/jaupt/jaupt/news/

New interpretation on the rules for splitting a 7 hour course
There has recently been a slight relaxation in the rule concerning the splitting of a 7 hours course. A course can be split into two roughly equal parts providing the second part starts within 24 hours of the first part finishing. This means a 7 hour course could be delivered on two consecutive mornings or two consecutive afternoons.