LGV D4 medical due ? - get FREE 5 years!

peterm:
Oh please yerself. You still haven’t answered why you advocated people dodging the medical. Answer the question… please.

People are not dodging the medical. Renewal of a licence in this way is perfectly legal and there is no dodging of medicals because they are not required .

A proper eyesight test with an optician is much more thorough than reading from a chart supplied by the Doctor who is completing your DVLA form…The optician will test for a number of other conditions .

If I want a medical ( which makes common sense ) ,I would prefer to have it undertaken by my Doctor as it will be much more thorough than the DVLA box ticking exercise . Blood pressure readings can vary depending depending on the time of day that they are taken…

In my case it is a complete waste of money doing a DVLA medical.

I am registered with a doctor , dentist and optician and visit them at the recommended intervals .

As such , I would have no intention of doing a DVLA medical if it can be avoided . I don’t drive for a living , but it seems pointless paying for an unnecessary medical.

I would be quite happy to give the DVLA access to my medical records .

I’m not saying that you shouldn’t get your own medical fixed up rather than the dvla one. I too would prefer a proper one specially if it’s free, but the first part of Rog’s post infers that you can get extra time on your licence without the need for a medical. That’s what I’m on about. If I’ve totally misunderstood that, I’ll happily apologise.

peterm:
I’m not saying that you shouldn’t get your own medical fixed up rather than the dvla one. I too would prefer a proper one specially if it’s free, but the first part of Rog’s post infers that you can get extra time on your licence without the need for a medical. That’s what I’m on about. If I’ve totally misunderstood that, I’ll happily apologise.

You have totally misunderstood, now say sorry.

Roymondo:

GOG47:
Wonder what the families of the 6 people killed by the Glasgow bin lorry would think if they heard you could dodge a medical so easily :unamused: Go and see your GP,pay the money and get a medical,find any health issues,get help for them and hopefully live happily ever after :wink:

The Glasgow bin lorry driver lied about his medical history - Anyone can lie about their history during a DVLA “medical” (actually a box-ticking exercise that you have to pay for…).

Go get yourself a proper medical examination (not the Mickey-Mouse DVLA version). A NHS “Well Man” check-up is free from most GP surgeries and covers the same bases.

So if your life was depending on your licence how would you have cope with it

No-one knows how many people are driving with poor eyesight but the figure is believed to be quite high, one article here suggests that 20% of road accidents are the result of a drivers poor vision, I’ve no idea how true that is but all the articles I read seem to put the figure in the same general range.

The HGV medical does at-least make drivers with poor eyesight aware of the condition, and sees that their licence is marked to make them wear glasses/contact lenses while driving.

It’s all very well talking about people being able to have better medicals and eye tests but how many people do, anyway it’s not people who have voluntary medicals and sight tests that’s the problem, it’s the people who don’t have medicals or sight tests that’s the problem, the people who are driving around with poor eyesight but refuse to wear glasses and don’t have to because it’s not on their licence, and I know from my own experience that a lot of people probably don’t even realise they have poor eyesight.

I don’t necessarily blame anyone for taking advantage of the rules that allow a few extra years without a medical, but I am sceptical about claims that it “doesn’t compromise safety”.

tachograph:
I don’t necessarily blame anyone for taking advantage of the rules that allow a few extra years without a medical, but I am sceptical about claims that it “doesn’t compromise safety”.

Taking the alternative free NHS health check along with a free eye check would mean safety is not compromised but to do no sort of medical at all then it could

I chose the free alternative when the DVLA extended my LGV expiry date when I had to change the photo

ROG:

tachograph:

Taking the alternative free NHS health check along with a free eye check would mean safety is not compromised but to do no sort of medical at all then it could

I chose the free alternative when the DVLA extended my LGV expiry date when I had to change the photo

That’s more like it should have been put in the first place.

peterm:

ROG:

tachograph:

ERR = I did in first post

ROG:
Medical worries in not doing a D4
Many have voiced genuine concerns over this but its easy to remedy
Take the free NHS health check
Ask GP if they think there are any driving health issues
Get free eye check - plenty of offers these days from various opticians

Many on this site including me have already benefitted from doing this

As i have said before on previous posts, it doesnt work for everyone. I applied last year ( February ) for a new photo, DVLA then sent me a D4 pack as per usual, it then took 6 months to renew my licence, and i never received the new licence with the union jack on.
I have since sent off my renewal for this year ( 1 month ago ) and i used a different doctor, one in Harley Street who charges £45, instead of my own doctors fee of £100, an after hours service, and straight in the back pocket, so i do expect a delay. I will still drive into europe with or without my renewed licence, but will not renew it next year and retire gracefully at aged 70.

ROG, thankyou for the update on this, i’m going to give it a whirl tomorrow.

Funny thing though, just been on the Gov licencing website and had a look at my licence details.

My licence itself states that my car licence runs till 2025, yet on the website that’s showing as 2020…what’s going on there please, have all our car entitlements been curtailed by 5 years, or is there some glitch in my details which will doubtless prove to be a real PITA to sort out?

Juddian:

Funny thing though, just been on the Gov licencing website and had a look at my licence details.

My licence itself states that my car licence runs till 2025, yet on the website that’s showing as 2020…what’s going on there please, have all our car entitlements been curtailed by 5 years, or is there some glitch in my details which will doubtless prove to be a real PITA to sort out?

You lose a year of entitlement every time you book a SAGA holiday mate! :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:

Juddian:

You lose a year of entitlement every time you book a SAGA holiday mate! :laughing:

Sometimes it would be nice to own a Tardis, i’d only go back about a hundred years and send some young whippersnapper called Evil up chimneys when he was but a mere child, hopefully he’d still be there… :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

ROG:
CAVEAT - this is only for those who are due a D4 medical renewal and have not had any licence issued by DVLA after October 2012

For those who are due a D4 medical renewal there is a weird EU thing where the issue of the new style driving licence automatically extends the LGV & PCV expiry for 5 years FROM THE DATE THE NEW LICENCE IS ISSUED and not 5 years from the current expiry date

This can be done by simply changing the current photo on the licence even if it has not yet reached its expiry date

From November 2017 this will not be possible as everyone should by then have a new style driving licence

I did mine by using the easy Post Office driving licence photo renewal service where they take the photo for only an extra nominal amount =

You’ll need £21.50 in total. The DVLA Driving Licence Expiry fee is £17 and our renewal service fee is £4.50

To find out if you have a PO handy to you for this service try this - postoffice.co.uk/branch-finder - put in your location and tick the DVLA Photocard Renewal box
The POs that offer this service will have the D798 photo renewal form

The photo can also be changed using the online DVLA service where they take the new photo from a current valid passport gov.uk/renew-photo-driving-licence

THIS POST further later in this thread is worth a read before posting in regards to being medically fit

Many on this site including me have already benefitted from doing this :smiley:

I know I have posted this before but it was some time ago

Got said £100.- for GP but no Appointment available at moment.

ROG:

peterm:

ROG:

tachograph:

ERR = I did in first post

ROG:

Many on this site including me have already benefitted from doing this

Err, here’s your first post…, copied and pasted. Where’s the extra bit that I can’t find in it ?

LGV D4 medical due ? - get FREE 5 years !

Postby ROG » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:36 am
CAVEAT - this is only for those who are due a D4 medical renewal and have not had any licence issued by DVLA after October 2012

For those who are due a D4 medical renewal there is a weird EU thing where the issue of the new style driving licence automatically extends the LGV & PCV expiry for 5 years FROM THE DATE THE NEW LICENCE IS ISSUED and not 5 years from the current expiry date

This can be done by simply changing the current photo on the licence even if it has not yet reached its expiry date

From November 2017 this will not be possible as everyone should by then have a new style driving licence

I did mine by using the easy Post Office driving licence photo renewal service where they take the photo for only an extra nominal amount =

You’ll need £21.50 in total. The DVLA Driving Licence Expiry fee is £17 and our renewal service fee is £4.50

To find out if you have a PO handy to you for this service try this - postoffice.co.uk/branch-finder - put in your location and tick the DVLA Photocard Renewal box
The POs that offer this service will have the D798 photo renewal form

The photo can also be changed using the online DVLA service where they take the new photo from a current valid passport gov.uk/renew-photo-driving-licence

THIS POST further later in this thread is worth a read before posting in regards to being medically fit

Many on this site including me have already benefitted from doing this :smiley:

I know I have posted this before but it was some time ago
Last edited by ROG on Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

I think you need to go to specsavers !!

The line I highlighted in bold is there in both

Well, I am gob-smacked. I went online, and as has already been pointed out, it said that LGV and PCV drivers on 5 year licences couldn’t do it. So… being a professional driver, I ignored the signage and decided to do it anyway :wink: It took me to a page where it showed my current photo, and also my passport photo, which are… exactly the same. It asked if I wanted to ‘change’ my photo to this one…? errr…ok then :open_mouth: I paid my £14 and then got a message saying that it would be sent out after ‘verification’ so obviously I thought this is where it will all fall down.

New licence arrived in less than a week - valid until 2020.

Before anyone starts - I had a full medical back in June. So this has saved me time and money. So thanks Rog :smiley:

grumpybums done it right by having the medical and that’s exactly what I was getting at. I’m not saying that everyone’s about to rush out and get an extra period on their licence without a medical; rather that some of the unscrupulous buggers would read it as I did and just do it. Geddit ?

grumpybum:
Well, I am gob-smacked. I went online, and as has already been pointed out, it said that LGV and PCV drivers on 5 year licences couldn’t do it. So… being a professional driver, I ignored the signage and decided to do it anyway :wink: It took me to a page where it showed my current photo, and also my passport photo, which are… exactly the same. It asked if I wanted to ‘change’ my photo to this one…? errr…ok then :open_mouth: I paid my £14 and then got a message saying that it would be sent out after ‘verification’ so obviously I thought this is where it will all fall down.

Before anyone starts - I had a full medical back in June. So this has saved me time and money. So thanks Rog :smiley:

What medical did you have in June :question: - I assume it was not the D4

ROG:

grumpybum:

What medical did you have in June :question: - I assume it was not the D4

No - it was some investigations at hospital, which turned out to be nothing serious - but they had to be thorough! Only thing not checked was eyes, but regular appointment sorted for that.

grumpybum:
it was some investigations at hospital, which turned out to be nothing serious - but they had to be thorough! Only thing not checked was eyes, but regular appointment sorted for that.

Nice free NHS check up :smiley: