Leylands (and other UK makes) In The Antipodes

Some good finds Turbo Ted Deanb NZ Jamie and Oily .
Heres my old Super Hippo.

Not the best quality pictures but they will double click.

Dig

The old girl looks good mate,especially with the sleeper box.

What motor and box?

NZ JAMIE:
The old girl looks good mate,especially with the sleeper box.

What motor and box?

When I acquired it it was a body truck from memory a bit over 20 feet long tray so I cut it dawn to prime mover length and a back to front 690 which had seized on the rear main,they ]Leylands] should never have fitted that motor in a Super Hippo as the turbo mounted at the rear generated that much heat the floor would burn your feet the air flow was that poor.
I acquired a 220 ■■■■■■■ 400 hours after full rebuild and fitted that it had a 13 speed RR and a 24 ton hub reduction rear end,I also lifted the cab about 3 inches I used LAD radiator mounts for that job and i acquired the S model KW sleeper cab quite cheap [50$], it did a good job for us general freight and fuel some 2 trailer work and I sold it to a gentleman in the NT who pulled a float with it then it was retired to pulling a water tanker on the main roads out of Katherine I understand its still there so I am going up there later this year for a look.
The only other pic I have the boss doing a lap.

Dig

Here are a few photos I took at the Australian road transport hall of fame in Alice Springs

524.JPG

Some nice pics being posted. Dig nice to see the boss showing you hows it done ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Intresting article.

Click on pages twice to read.

You can just picture the scene:

‘Morning driver! Your lorry’s loaded and ready to go mate. Here’s your loading notes, keys and a grappling iron with 20’ of rope. Ring in when tipped.’

Robert

aussi%20gardner2.jpg

Some KIWI Fodens.

Click on page twice.

There’s a few buses as well. This one is parked up near Smith’s Beach south of Perth.

P1020601.JPG

P1020600.JPG

P1020599.JPG

With kind permission of Rod Simmonds in NZ.
Oily

NZ pgf-group-june06-056.jpg

NZ kaimais22.jpg

Nice pics Oily. :smiley:

Click on page twice to view.

Couple more from the Hall of Fame,

Dig

Hi DIG and with a huge cooling fan which I have read made it a very uncomfortable drive.
Oily

oiltreader:
Hi DIG and with a huge cooling fan which I have read made it a very uncomfortable drive.
Oily

Your quite right Oily but there were 2 fans I.m afraid one behind and one in front of the driver,image what that would be like on a cold day we do get them here and the noise.I.m not sure how they were driven so if electrical they could perhaps switch them off.
Cheers Dig

tyneside:
There’s a few buses as well. This one is parked up near Smith’s Beach south of Perth.

Here’s an older one, new to Scout Motors of Preston, part of the Ribble empire, and still wearing its distinctive Ribble destination glass:

Big Bob at Newcastle truck show 2017 by Big Bob the bus, on Flickr

This is PRN 143, and I understand that its sister, PRN 144, also still exists in Australia:

More of Big Bob’s history. by Big Bob the bus, on Flickr

Fodens.

Click on page once or twice.

Clipping from 1965.

Click on page twice to read.

One or two more.
Oily

OZ Albion no known cr...jpg

OZ Albion nkc...jpg

Oz AEC road train...jpg

OZ AEC no Known cr...jpg

OZ AEC cr Brown.jpg

Courtesy of Rod Simmonds in New Zealand.
Oily

NZ farmers-transport-mike-allen-gisborne-erf-600-signature.jpg

NZ cce00002.jpg

NZ cce00001.jpg

Click on page twice to read.

Ozzie Atkinsons in Melbourne. Robert