Leyland Marathon...The "Nearly" Truck of The 1970s?

The TL12 deserves a more dignified place in history than strands of this thread would have us believe. If the fake news were stripped out, I am convinced the thread would be left with a very thorough and decent account of a perfectly respectable engine. I don’t buy all that conspiracy theory about political sabotage but even if I did, it wouldn’t detract from the fact that the TL12 was a successful engine regardless. On a positive note, this thread has taught me far more than I originally knew about both the TL12 and the complete Marathon and I am left with a far better impression as a result. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
The TL12 deserves a more dignified place in history than strands of this thread would have us believe. If the fake news were stripped out, I am convinced the thread would be left with a very thorough and decent account of a perfectly respectable engine. I don’t buy all that conspiracy theory about political sabotage but even if I did, it wouldn’t detract from the fact that the TL12 was a successful engine regardless. On a positive note, this thread has taught me far more than I originally knew about both the TL12 and the complete Marathon and I am left with a far better impression as a result. Robert

Thank you Robert, that comment of yours makes it all worthwhile and this is what TN is surely all about, the spreading and sharing of knowledge from informed sources.

I’ve been in and around the transport industry since I was 5 years old, and I’m 70 later this year. In all those years I’ve been fortunate enough to work with, and meet, countless people from all levels, and all sectors of the industry. But I’ve yet to meet anyone who knows it all.

gingerfold:

ERF-NGC-European:

Thank you Robert, that comment of yours makes it all worthwhile and this is what TN is surely all about, the spreading and sharing of knowledge from informed sources.

I’ve been in and around the transport industry since I was 5 years old, and I’m 70 later this year. In all those years I’ve been fortunate enough to work with, and meet, countless people from all levels, and all sectors of the industry. But I’ve yet to meet anyone who knows it all.

It`s good to get the TL12 back where it belongs :wink:

HERE HERE

Words of wisdom spoken Guys well said.
:smiley:

E.W.

Howard Tenens ran lots of them.

The original designation of what became the TL12 engine was AV770. Extensive testing of the prototype engines was carried out night and day, 6-days weekly with two concept tractor units, specially built in AEC’s Experimental Department’s workshops. One of these tractor units was a 6x4, which had been a concept and test vehicle for the AEC V8 engine, the other was a 4x2 unit. The 6x4 was granted special dispensation to run at 44 tons gvw, with a test weight payload of 31.5 tons on a flat trailer. The engines were driven for 50,000 miles then removed from the chassis and completely stripped down and measured for wear, then re-built and refitted into the chassis for another 50,000 miles to be accrued.

AEC vehicle test driver, Robert Smith who has provided these details, was one of the night drivers whose shift commenced at 8.00 pm and finished at 7.00 am. His route was from Southall through Hayes End to junction 3 on the M4 and down to the Severn Bridge, then back along the M4 to junction 8/9 Maidenhead, turn round, back to the Severn Bridge then back to Southall. A total of 385 miles per shift. Motorway cruising speed was maintained at 60 mph, unless balked by slower lorries.

From the photos below it can be seen that the 6x4 cab has gained a “snout” compared with its V8 engine testing days. This was to accomodate the longer length of the TL12 engine.

Click on photo twice to enlarge

gingerfold:
The original designation of what became the TL12 engine was AV770. Extensive testing of the prototype engines was carried out night and day, 6-days weekly with two concept tractor units, specially built in AEC’s Experimental Department’s workshops. One of these tractor units was a 6x4, which had been a concept and test vehicle for the AEC V8 engine, the other was a 4x2 unit. The 6x4 was granted special dispensation to run at 44 tons gvw, with a test weight payload of 31.5 tons on a flat trailer. The engines were driven for 50,000 miles then removed from the chassis and completely stripped down and measured for wear, then re-built and refitted into the chassis for another 50,000 miles to be accrued.

AEC vehicle test driver, Robert Smith who has provided these details, was one of the night drivers whose shift commenced at 8.00 pm and finished at 7.00 am. His route was from Southall through Hayes End to junction 3 on the M4 and down to the Severn Bridge, then back along the M4 to junction 8/9 Maidenhead, turn round, back to the Severn Bridge then back to Southall. A total of 385 miles per shift. Motorway cruising speed was maintained at 60 mph, unless balked by slower lorries.

From the photos below it can be seen that the 6x4 cab has gained a “snout” compared with its V8 engine testing days. This was to accomodate the longer length of the TL12 engine.

Click on photo twice to enlarge

There were some articles regarding these vehicles in an AEC Gazette a few years back but i cant remember if it was the V8 or the TL12 they were testing . What i do remember is the driver saying how well they performed , i think the article was covered over several issues

This has probably been on this thread before, but it’s worth seeing again:
archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … uniformity

[/quote]
You need to meet Carryfast then !!

robthedog:

You need to meet Carryfast then !!
[/quote]
. :grimacing:

From about 27 minutes in on this video, there is a good long stint of driving in a short-cabbed Marathon 2:

youtube.com/watch?v=CMsDb8ONwtE

That collection is superb; there are some very interesting vehicles in it, nearly all of them like new.

Fantastic film, that marathon sounds great, looks to go well too.

What a collection!

[zb]
anorak:
From about 27 minutes in on this video, there is a good long stint of driving in a short-cabbed Marathon 2:

That collection is superb; there are some very interesting vehicles in it, nearly all of them like new.

Interesting clip. Fuller 'box as expected. Presumably TL12 lump. I notice the driver reminded his passenger (in Dutch) that Astran ran them ‘to Afghanistan’! It has a modern feel to it but the top-mounted wipers would soon remind you what era you were in!

Ro

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

Interesting clip. Fuller 'box as expected. Presumably TL12 lump. I notice the driver reminded his passenger (in Dutch) that Astran ran them ‘to Afghanistan’! It has a modern feel to it but the top-mounted wipers would soon remind you what era you were in!

Ro

I bet he never mentioned how it broke down on that trip… :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

That’s the ■■■■■■■ crackle surely?

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

Ro

I bet he never mentioned how it broke down on that trip… :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Astran ran more than one Marathon down to the Gulf but many more did trouble-free M/E trips (I’m not aware any did Afghanistan mind!). You tend only to hear the bad news. People slag off the Brit motors that did M/E but the well-maintained ones did OK. We’ve heard on recent threads here how ERFs did 5 or 6 years on Baghdad work trouble-free and a Crusader that did exactly the same. The ERF NGC that did Pakistan was still working hard donkeys years later pulling heavy trailers.

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

Ro

Astran ran more than one Marathon down to the Gulf but many more did trouble-free M/E trips (I’m not aware any did Afghanistan mind!). You tend only to hear the bad news. People slag off the Brit motors that did M/E but the well-maintained ones did OK. We’ve heard on recent threads here how ERFs did 5 or 6 years on Baghdad work trouble-free and a Crusader that did exactly the same. The ERF NGC that did Pakistan was still working hard donkeys years later pulling heavy trailers.

:laughing: :wink:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Ro

When the camera pans to the LH door mirror, you see one of these following, full of Leyland parts :laughing: :

uniquecarsandparts.com.au/b … 972_daf_33

[zb]
anorak:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Ro

When the camera pans to the LH door mirror, you see one of these following, full of Leyland parts :laughing: :

uniquecarsandparts.com.au/b … 972_daf_33

I’ll have you know that the ten-year-old Marina I bought in '83 gave me good service :wink: .

:smiley: :laughing: !

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

Ro

You say that Astran ran more than one Marathon down to the Gulf, would that equate to 2?
In Ashleys book “long haul pioneers”, it shows that they ran a demo, an L reg 6x2/4 ,dont think they kept it and the one featured in Destination Doha was lent to them, as was the Leyland driver ■■■■ Rivers.