Leyland Marathon...The "Nearly" Truck of The 1970s?

Reading through past articles it seems WTJ was one of the demo vehicles built and these don’t appear in the spec sheets, seems strange they built a demo 335 powered LHD 6x4 and yet Marathons of this configuration didn’t get built until 1976! Confused Franky.

Maybe all versions were available from the outset, and the first order for a 6x4 came in 1976?

Yes, examples of the main models in the range were built for launch in 1973, but ■■■■■■■ powered examples didn’t feature in the line-up until later. Leyland had spent money and time on developing the TL12, so that was the main emphasis to begin with. The 6x4 was as you say aimed at export markets. As for the registration number the first questions were asked about it some years ago, and it featured on more than one Marathon model photos, including 4x2, in Leyland publicity material and brochures. Photoshop didn’t exist then but photos and brochures could be doctored by other means. The registration number even appeared on a Leyland Buffalo in publicity material. It is legal to use an older licence plate number on a vehicle built after the date of issue, but you cannot use a later age related number on an older vehicle.

gingerfold:

Carryfast:
I had the misfortune of nights out with that short sleeper as opposed to the longer version shown in the Mid Easter photo.While to add insult to injury it was obviously an excessively narrow cab which then didn’t leave enough room for a decent steering wheel which was another flaw which I hated about the thing.As for the brakes what brakes especially when pulling knackered old unaccompanied trailers.The thing was a joke in trying to make a decent truck out of the Ergo and compared to the DAF 2800 which was the truck it should have been.

Yes, the car-sized steering wheel wasn’t every driver’s cup of tea.

Same wheel as the ‘View-Line’ Atki, I think - OK once you got used to it, but strange at first

240 Gardner:

gingerfold:

Carryfast:
I had the misfortune of nights out with that short sleeper as opposed to the longer version shown in the Mid Easter photo.While to add insult to injury it was obviously an excessively narrow cab which then didn’t leave enough room for a decent steering wheel which was another flaw which I hated about the thing.As for the brakes what brakes especially when pulling knackered old unaccompanied trailers.The thing was a joke in trying to make a decent truck out of the Ergo and compared to the DAF 2800 which was the truck it should have been.

Same wheel as the ‘View-Line’ Atki, I think - OK once you got used to it, but strange at first

Just looking at the comments above regarding the 2800 DAF , I drove a few and either theres lots of dwarfs in Holland or those Dutch designers got it wrong , they were like Bedford TKs if you put the seat right up and quite cramped . The first time I drove one I wondered what all the fuss was about , it was sluggish until you wound it up and wouldnt pull you out of bed . I remember coming back from Italy in one with 15 tons on it , the other 3 motors I was running with were fully freighted and every hill they all passed me , dead as a door nail , the other motors were Iveco 190/30 a twin steer 220/30 oh and Renault R340 which to be fair wasnt a bad motor. Having said that I dont think there have been any bad motors produced over the last 2 to 3 decades compared with what was available 15 years or so prior to then , with no power steering no heaters holes in the floors and doors that leaked no power ,I don’t suppose that 2800 was too bad :wink:

240 Gardner:

gingerfold:

Probably more often a case of either those who weren’t bothered.Or hated it and not a question of getting used to.

It would be interesting to find out what the actual measurement of it was compared to even some of the best car wheels in the day.Especially the Volvo 140 series while the big Triumps were also reasonable in that regard.Also bearing in mind as I said the standard type wheel used across the Leyland truck range from around the late 1970’s as shown in the vid. :bulb: :wink:

c1.staticflickr.com/1/720//2113 … dbf3_b.jpg

i.pinimg.com/originals/a2/bf/6a … 495d1b.jpg

i.pinimg.com/736x/ab/d0/f6/abd0 … tumblr.jpg

Two more.
Oily

I’ve dug out my copy of the video “Southall Twilight”, which to my surprise still plays. It features the AEC Mandator V8 on the Commercial Motor test route, and “The New Europeans”, which was a promotional film made for the launch of the Marathon in Switzerland in late 1973. There were two 4x2 TL12 Marathons used in the film, one of which was VTJ 575L, the second TL12 features only briefly and the reg number is not seen. The LHD 6x4 was WTJ 120L. Again, the man who wrote the article about the Marathon in the current edition of the AEC Gazette was present in the making of “The New Europeans” providing mechanic’s backup in case of problems. He states and I quote verbatim " During the filming I had to accompany the 6x4, because it was a prototype machine and in any case any problems that may have overtaken us needed sorting. Getting the film into the can was a priority"

The 6x4 was fitted with a ■■■■■■■ CU335, but it was a pre-production model, so its registration tallies with its date of manufacture. Incidentally the driver of WTJ 120L was ■■■■ Rivers, who drove the Marathon in ‘Destination Doha’

oiltreader:
Two more.
Oily

Am I seeing things or is that a marathan with Aluminuim wheels :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

nearly the worst truck built in britain.
the sad part was that it wasnt as most were of a similar garbage build quality.
i did a trip to saudi in a guy j4 with a 250 ■■■■■■■ along with the boss in a transconti. i overworked him to the extent he put me in the ■■■■■■ when we came back so i could do a cpl trips myself.
after a while,he traded it in for a new marathon i lifted new from longton,and jesus,what a numb dead pile of utter garbage it was from front to back.
i never spoke to him for 3 month,left for another job with a f88 to find out that it was only being kept till another 2 marathons arrived!!
exit stage left for another job with a decent truck.
pure and utter poory built scrap.
lets all be thankful for the swedes,and europeans for destroying the brit truck makers.

dieseldog999:
nearly the worst truck built in britain.
the sad part was that it wasnt as most were of a similar garbage build quality.
lets all be thankful for the swedes,and europeans for destroying the brit truck makers.

:confused:

It’s a bit unfair to stereotype products like SA 400/401 and Bedford TM,or possibly maybe even the highest specs of the T45,with heaps like the Marathon.There really was no comparison.While even the later plastic cabbed ERF and Foden options weren’t exactly total no hopers v many of the imports.The Foden S85 being one of the nicest trucks I ever drove.

thats why at some point brit trucks were sold in many parts of the world but hey ho any chance for a bit of brit bashing i geuss

Short extract from the Marathon assembly line at Southall (it really does look like they made them in a glorified shed):

youtube.com/watch?v=0JTxkx9D7Uw

stevejones:
thats why at some point brit trucks were sold in many parts of the world but hey ho any chance for a bit of brit bashing i geuss

Well the latest offerings that we operate from Mercedes are cramped with crap seating warning buzzers for everything I know what I would prefer to drive

ramone:

stevejones:

Well the latest offerings that we operate from Mercedes are cramped with crap seating warning buzzers for everything I know what I would prefer to drive

Like I’ve said before,drivers on here can bash the Marathon as much as they want but mine served me well and earned me some money.

passenger and driver had better and worse sentimental value for me

ramone:

stevejones:

Yes we all have our likes and dislikes and there were, and are, good and bad of every lorry model built. Personally I have yet to sit as a passenger, or drive, any German built car or truck that has a comfortable seat. And the worst lorry I have ever driven IMHO, MAN without a shadow of a doubt, uncomfortable, gutless, and very unreliable. Dreadful things.

ramone:

240 Gardner:

gingerfold:

Carryfast:

i liked the Marathon Steering wheel as I had an Austin Maxi at the time and it was the same steering wheel just a different centre boss,still got mine

Just looking at the comments above regarding the 2800 DAF , I drove a few and either theres lots of dwarfs in Holland or those Dutch designers got it wrong , they were like Bedford TKs if you put the seat right up and quite cramped . The first time I drove one I wondered what all the fuss was about , it was sluggish until you wound it up and wouldnt pull you out of bed . I remember coming back from Italy in one with 15 tons on it , the other 3 motors I was running with were fully freighted and every hill they all passed me , dead as a door nail , the other motors were Iveco 190/30 a twin steer 220/30 oh and Renault R340 which to be fair wasnt a bad motor. Having said that I dont think there have been any bad motors produced over the last 2 to 3 decades compared with what was available 15 years or so prior to then , with no power steering no heaters holes in the floors and doors that leaked no power ,I don’t suppose that 2800 was too bad :wink:

just got this new Marathon2, when this F10 demo arrived and I had it for three months,not happy one early morning start when my Marathon passed me A38 southbound,second in the Que at Garringtons,doh